Recent content by John U

1. John U

2015 Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 bearing nut

Trek Central have come through with the goods. Arrived today.
  2. John U

Good call. I couldn't stop myself last night. A store in the UK had the actual part listed online so I gave them a call to verify and ended up ordering it last night. The local Trek shop doesn't have it in stock but is getting one in for me from Trek Central Australia. I should end up with a...
  3. John U

Vic- goldfields trail gravelburn road trip.

The section between Castlemaine and Daylesford used to be known as the "Dry Diggings Trail". A search for this will give you a couple of hits. I'm assuming it's the same trail you're talking about because it included riding along the edge of an aqueduct which runs past the tailings dam for the...
  4. John U

Cheers. I'll see if Trek can help and get back you. Out looking for it now.
  5. John U

Pics. Dog is (not) helping me.
  6. John U

I think this is it ( I didn't take much notice while it was attached to the bike). https://www.ridebikes.co.uk/components/bike-frames/suspension-part-axle-nut-main-pivot-m16x15-20-mm-hex__547 Not sure if there's anything special about it. It acted as a preload for the bearings in that location...
  7. John U

Holy shit. Did not expect to find something like this for an 8 year old bike...
  8. John U

Hey Burners. Pulled my pretty mint 2015 Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 out of the shed and been for a couple of rides. The bike is in really good nick as I sort of checked out of riding mtb for various reasons. Anyways, giving it a wash after a solid 4 hour ride through the Dandenongs yesterday and it looks...
  9. John U

Cracked Thomson Stem faceplate 25.4

Quite literally done by the book. I've got the Thomson instruction booklets wedged in behind my shadow board. I follow virtually everything they suggest. Greased the threads and not the heads. Torqued to 5.6 Nm (not the recommended 5.5Nm) with one of these. I guess that 0.1Nm shouldn't be a...
  10. John U

Cracked Thomson Stem faceplate 25.4

Super suprised to notice this just now. I've been using Thomson stems for 18 years. I fell in love with the Elite when I discovered the non-knee gouging design on the back of the stem. None of them have ever given me any issues. Always carefully torqued to the correct levels. Even more so with...
  11. John U

VIC Found XO 9 speed grips for grip shift - left and right needed

Sweet. I'll see how they go. Thanks for your help
  12. John U

@Ackland These look to be the correct items? https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Left-Grip-Assembly-Black/dp/B001CK2E5Q/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=grip%2Bshift%2Breplacement%2Bgrips&qid=1672805559&sr=8-9&th=1
  13. John U

That's awesome. At risk of destroying the grips and not being able to replace them, I haven't taken them off. Being my first set of grip shifters I've never pulled a set of grips off. I did a bit of a search and saw a bit of 2 * 10 XO gear but wasn't sure if any of it was cross compatible. I'm...
  14. John U

The one click of index on the 3 * 9 set up made the difference between a silent ride and an annoying ride. Brilliant design. Thanks for the reply and the link @Ackland . Unfortunately the rubber on those grips appears to be going through the same stages my current set are.
  15. John U

Item: XO 9 speed grips for grip shift - left and right Location: Ringo East Item Condition: Good to excellent Reason for wanting: Time to get back out on the bike. As an intro I am keeping it short and real tame, cycle paths - hopefully at ever increasing distances. The XO shifting gear on the...