How do I tell if it's my hanger or derailleur that's bent?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I got a stick caught in my derailleur and something is totally bent. Looking at the derailleur and hanger, it's really hard to tell which it is. The hanger looks like it's still flat (and sits flush on a flat surface), but I guess it only has to be a fraction off to cause the derailleur to sit a long way to one side. I don't have another Eagle derailleur to compare mine to, so can't tell what shape the cage should be in relation to the body.

I really want to get the bike back in action asap and have ordered a new hanger, but it's going to take until at least the end of the week to get here. If that's not the problem, then I'll have to source a replacement derailleur and will miss out on the ride day I've booked for Sunday.

Is there any way to tell which is bent?

Attachments

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Thats terminal for the bike unfortunately, you're going to need a whole new bike. possibly two.

...is it just me or does it look like there is an angle where the mech joins the cage? that being the case i cant see the mech itself bending so its more likely the hanger yeah?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thats terminal for the bike unfortunately, you're going to need a whole new bike. possibly two.

...is it just me or does it look like there is an angle where the mech joins the cage? that being the case i cant see the mech itself bending so its more likely the hanger yeah?
That's what I told my insurance company and they saw things differently.

It does look like there's an angle where the mech doings the cage, but I can't tell if that's normal as I don't have another mech to compare it to. It could mean the cage is bent massively.

Mech is so much easier to spell than deerailer.

Z

Zaf

It hasn't been speaking to me ever since I swore at it, so questions are useless.
Typical!
Your cage looks bent, but not sure if it's because of the hanger. Usually taking the hanger off and inspecting it is a clear indicator, especailly if you own a spare for the bike to compare it too.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Looks like a twisted derailleur body.

Take the derailleur off the bike and eyeball across the inner face of the upper mounting knuckle and the corresponding face of the lower knuckle/cage pivot. If they're not parallel the derailleur body is twisted.

You can also tell by working through the gears. If the derailleur angle stays consistent through the range it's likely the hanger, but if it twists as it moves through the range, the derailleur is toast.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have another bike, but it's not that great for shuttle days on DH tracks... Perhaps a third?
Definitely a third. That bike might be ok on dh tracks, but it would be dangerous if you really wanted to shred the gnar.

Also...you won't really need crisp shifting on the dh tracks.

Plus if you really need to you could just swap the drive train over from your other bike.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If a new hanger doesn't fix it, you COULD pay the retail tax and buy a XX1 Eagle derailleur. Be about $480 I'm guessing.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Looks like a twisted derailleur body.

Take the derailleur off the bike and eyeball across the inner face of the upper mounting knuckle and the corresponding face of the lower knuckle/cage pivot. If they're not parallel the derailleur body is twisted.

You can also tell by working through the gears. If the derailleur angle stays consistent through the range it's likely the hanger, but if it twists as it moves through the range, the derailleur is toast.
Taking this approach, it appears the body may well be twisted (refer pics)

Angle definitely changes as it moves through the range.

Well, that was an expensive exercise! Got all of 100km out of it. Glad I went GX and paid less for the entire group set than an XX1 derailleur.

Attachments