How do I tell if it's my hanger or derailleur that's bent?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The derailleur hanger alignment gauge tool is pretty handy..............when it comes to bent cages, I’ve been putting the chain in the middle cog at the back and wrangling the cage until it’s straight. Hopefully, it then toes in with the chain on the big and small cog like it's supposed to…….

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have straightened a couple of cages now, by hand, and they have been fine ever since. It is worth a try, if you do it without bending the hanger.

teK--

Eats Squid
Easy you check if the hanger is straight, and If it's not then by power of deduction..... Lol. I have the alignment tool if u want to swing around and check.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'll definitely try and straighten it by hand, but I'm wondering how to do this without bending what may well be a perfectly straight hanger. I guess the cage bent before the hanger initially, so hopefully the same thing happens when I crank on it. Umm, hang on, why didn't the hanger bend and not the derailleur?? I've ordered a hanger anyway, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

teK--

Eats Squid
I've destroyed heaps more derailleurs than hangers. The point of the hanger is to protect the frame, not the derailleur.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've destroyed heaps more derailleurs than hangers. The point of the hanger is to protect the frame, not the derailleur.
This.

I'd also take a bent Mech over a farked rear triangle any day.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I would have thought the frame would be protected better if the hanger bent when force was applied to the mech. The stronger the hanger the more force is applied to the frame.

moorey

call me Mia
Maybe it warped cooling it unevenly after the obligatory 15 min at 275 degrees?

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless it's a roadie, i've found that hangers are much stronger than the RD. Just wish a cage straightening tool or gauge existed.