Pivot Firebird vs Nomad 4? What would you choose and why

Z

Zaf

You're in for a treat either way! I lined my Pivot up next to my friends custom Newmad this weekend. The FB has the edge on climbing but they ride so similarly down hill, it's OK to just go with which one looks better to you. I look forward to hearing your impressions, whatever you've chosen.

Looks shit, wasn't worth the wait.
2/10 because you were able to build suspense.

...okay it's a stunner and I kind of want one now.

Z

Zaf

I'm looking at your past bikes, and there are a few Santa Cruz's on the list; even your Tranny wanted to look as cool as the Nomad V3.
So the question is are you returning to the pattern? or has the Tranny given you a thirst for something new?
In any case, the wheels you used on the Patrol better not make the new build.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, that Nomad 3 was probably my favorite bike of all of them :) But I was more then happy to end up on either the N4 or the Bird. In the end it was more a financial decision about what was available for what price.

I was willing to pay more to get the N4 but not rrp or close to it, thats just too much change over from whatever the Tranny sells for.

And wheels wise, I've kept the rims and just switched hubs and spokes out, changed the front a few weeks ago when the MRP Ribbon coil came in and just laced up the rear yesterday, its at the LBS getting tensioned up as we speak.

Speaking of tension, TNT have a delivery on their truck for me today..........

Z

Zaf

Blue balls almost over!!!

Did you scrub the blue and pink off the rims before re-using them?
In my imagining of the frame colours available, there is no combination in which that is going to work.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blue balls almost over!!!

Did you scrub the blue and pink off the rims before re-using them?
In my imagining of the frame colours available, there is no combination in which that is going to work.
Haha, yeah, stickers got to go, my riding buddies always joke that the stickers were holding the rims together, so I'll be finding out if they were right....

And no, no purchasing direct from the importer. I don't have those sort of connections.

Reactions: Zaf

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just realised I probably should of put a link to the chosen bike, a Nomad 4 cc.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/and-the-winner-is-nomad-4cc.311672/

Was really just a financial choice, i got offered a used Firebird frame for $3300 + shipping, or for a bit more a Nomad 4 frame ex demo with warranty. I wanted to end up on a Nomad 4 at some point but was keen to give the Firebird a run for a while. I'm still keen to give a Firebird a run, maybe if an update comes out with a decent water bottle mount I'd consider it, but I dare say it would be hard pressed to beat the N4 (except for the colour).

And I see MRP are doing a progressive sprung coil shock that would work with the Firebird.....