Boost hubs. Here to stay?

madstace

Likes Dirt
You forgot superboost (157 rear) :p

But seriously, it is a bit stupid. Having said that, I actually like the idea of the 20mm front returning (albeit actually improved). 15mm always shit me as it was just Fox/Shimano being different for the sake of it, with no actual benefit. By the time I can afford a new fork, I may end up missing 15mm altogether!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
1 year, 2 months, weeks and 3 days later and its still as retarded and pointless as ever.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
1 year, 2 months, 3 weeks and 3 days later and NOW you guys are listening?
To be honest I wrote a lot of the proposed standards off as junk. but looks like it's converging. I thought we'd be at least another 2 years off.

To think that a hub standard lasts roughly two bicycle frame iterations (not including cosmetic) is insane!

Z

Zaf

1 year, 2 months, weeks and 3 days later and its still as retarded and pointless as ever.
But you can just run your old 20mm non boost in them (*cough* with brake spacers). Overboost isn't hurting anybody! Not like boost.

Z

Zaf

Asking genuinely here, what exactly are you guys so upset about with regards to Overboost?

Ultra Lord

No real world benefits and another bloody standard.

give it a couple of years and you won't be able to buy a fork that isn't boost or super boost (thats what got me onto a 36 not a lyric, no non-boost lyric), so your hubs that are fine, will need replacing too, or you have to fuck around redishing and adding adaptors. added costs that you can't avoid are shit, when the old shit worked. this isn't progression, it's another money grab.

"omg frame x% stifferer, wheels better too!" fuck off no their not. go hop on a norco sasquatch with it's 135mm rear end and get back to me about frame stiffness.

Z

Zaf

Just a curiosity, but how come I never hear anything like this:

Ultra Lord said:
One year it's bladder based, the next they have an IFP, and can't make up their mind about different standards with no real world benefits. You have to fuck around replacing the damper, and spring, when the old shit worked. This isn't progression, it's another money grab!

"omg the small bump compliance is so much better and the midstroke so supported" fuck off it's not! Go hop on a 2012 Fox VAN Coil and get back to me about how supportive and plush a fork should feel.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Stuff like this is slowly turning me into Moorey. Reckon I'll start stocking up on hubs now
There is a real sweet spot you have to time to perfection. 26er went from bargain bin specials to overpriced rare antiques overnight. One minute you are getting $10 tyres and the next they are costing a bomb because RB folks stockpile them lol.

Asking genuinely here, what exactly are you guys so upset about with regards to Overboost?
They are stabbing in the dark. It is supposed to solve all the problems that we were told boost would solve. There were also arguments put forward during the introduction of boost to put a damper on why we couldn't do 20x110 in the first place. Between these two I think it's the latter that pisses me off more.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
There is a real sweet spot you have to time to perfection. 26er went from bargain bin specials to overpriced rare antiques overnight. One minute you are getting $10 tyres and the next they are costing a bomb because RB folks stockpile them lol.
Haha, this is spot on. Trying to find some decent 26 inch tyres or spare wheels with a 20x110 / 142 rear to keep the 4X bike stocked for years to come. That shit has gotten expensive, no bargins for higher end parts to be had.

Ultra Lord

Just a curiosity, but how come I never hear anything like this:
Because fork dampners have ACTUALLY been improved upon. 2012 fork and current fork are very different. Hub width, good luck noticing in a back to back test.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Because fork dampners have ACTUALLY been improved upon. 2012 fork and current fork are very different. Hub width, good luck noticing in a back to back test.
I can't remember where but I recall one of the articles with comments one bloke being caught red handed for practically being a paid shill. Claims he was recruited to do blind testing on boost vs non-boost and couldn't even name the bike (hint: no one made bikes in both configurations), or calims he wasn't able to say due to NDS

Z

Zaf

If there's no discernible difference you're not missing out on anything, just don't buy it?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If there's no discernible difference you're not missing out on anything, just don't buy it?
The issue is parts with your existing rig. Forced obsolescence. You dropped $$7k on your brand new pinion bike. Now imagine if it became harder and/or more expensive to replace the wheels -you'd be pissed.

Roadies get pissed off about chainrings not being standard, at the very least they have resolved the hub spacing trajectory.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I’m running a Specialized 142+ hub in a 6 year old SC Tallboy frame.

There are always ways to make stuff work. Don’t sweat this standard, you’ll be fine.

Reactions: Zaf