The stupid questions thread.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Random one. In the market for some new wheels (4 wheel death machine variety) and because it will be a replacement for a shared car, wife says it must be auto - not that bad seeing no one sells manuals anymore. Anyway I am now at the point where ditching CVT, in conjunction with my other long list of needs, really narrows the market.

So the question is, can someone explain t me how the flap a CVT actually does not slip?

Google seems to just bang on about the same thing and scholar articles are a bit too heavy for me at this stage. As an engineer I find it hard to compare a geared system to a belt driven system and even begin to comprehend that they can transfer the same power/torque.
I know where you can get a lightly used 911GT3RS with pdk box for a smidge over $400k. Powder blue, only one in Oz with the weissach package.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Not sure. I think they have dropped in price a fair bit, but who knows what dealers are charging. There are different types of cvt too that use different oil.

My original questions stands though. How the flap can you compare a cvt to a geared system. How the heck does it not just slip under load. Some of hese cars even have tow ratings of up to 2500kg. What the hell.

Luv ya bruv. Beers on me if I run into you on the trails :p
...... How the flap can you compare a cvt to a geared system. How the heck does it not just slip under load.....
The short answer is, you can't.
They are a different system altogether.
There is different CVT designs for different applications, but for cars the main design seems to be chain drive.
Two parallel shafts, with a perpendicular looped chain rotating around the two shaft mounted 'pulleys'.
One pulley has a fixed diameter and does not slip up or down against the chain.
The other pulley is actually two opposing cones that slide on the shaft and vary the effective diameter of the 'pulley'.
In a low power application (lawn mower or scooter) the friction between the rubber v-belt and the pulley/cones is enough to transmit power with minimal slip.
In a car, truck or farm equipment the variable pulley/cones are splined so the chain is forced to ride up and down the inside face as the distance between them is varied. And there is also some tricky fluid dynamics going on (specific shearing force) so that the chain doesn't actually wear /contact the cones (in theory anyway.... high mileage and/or load might prove otherwise...)

I did hear that many Pathfinder owners who decided to take Nissan's rated tow capacity as given, experienced a rare and frustrating phenomenon know as exploding CVT fuck-your-boating-or-caravan-holiday syndrome.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I actually like CVTs... They’re an efficient design and it doesn’t feel like it’s slipping once you understand what it’s doing. They are smooth and downshift quickly and smoothly.

What I don’t like is transmission makers programming in false “gears” to get around non understanding customers whinging about it slipping... Take a clever and efficient design, and program out what makes it efficient...

Toyota have engineered in a “start” gear, which is a mechanical first gear to get off the line with a conventional torque converter response and then switch to the belt drive.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I actually like CVTs... They’re an efficient design and it doesn’t feel like it’s slipping once you understand what it’s doing. They are smooth and downshift quickly and smoothly.

What I don’t like is transmission makers programming in false “gears” to get around non understanding customers whinging about it slipping... Take a clever and efficient design, and program out what makes it efficient...

Toyota have engineered in a “start” gear, which is a mechanical first gear to get off the line with a conventional torque converter response and then switch to the belt drive.
I like CVT too. They were quickly outlawed in F1 back in the day (1994), when Williams tested one in the back of their Renault powered FW15 (late 1993). Word has it that the car was a couple of seconds quicker than the regular FW15, which was already way quicker than any of its rivals.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty effective for certain farming operations too (constant rpm, differing ground speed). So PTO driven bailers etc.

But we do it a bit differently in tractors. No belts or anything. A hydrostatic control pump will stroke up or down to control shaft speeds within the transmission, effectively being the range control. They still utilise clutch pack setups for gears like a conventional powershift but it's all ECU controlled and speed is now infinitely variable due to the hydrostat.

They've been remarkably reliable too, thankfully

scblack

Leucocholic
My MY2015 Forester had a CVT, very good gearbox, smooth with no problems at all. Did not take it off-road much though, apparently CVT's don't handle heat stress from 4WDing. I don't know though. If you used over 65% (??) of throttle it used to engage 6 "gear" settings so working hard it operated as a normal gearbox in effect.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Why do handlebar companies put all the cool graphics and logos in a spot where the fucking stem covers it? Der.
Why don't handle bar company's have a plain version to go along with their loud ones? Just cause it's black doesn't mean I wan't your branding plastered all over it. You don't pay me to advertise your shit, give me stickers I can peel off.

I like my NS bars, but the lame arse graphics are too much!