The logic behind dinner plate's, 50t+ cassette's

nathanm

Eats Squid
Saw one on a hardtail yesterday. Now I know nothing about current standards etc but this just seems ridiculous. Why not just do a 2x build if you need such a ridiculous ratio?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Biggest issue these days is finding a bike that even has a front derailleur mount.

But the advantage is less complexity, less cabling and a similar ratio between lowest and highest gears as a 2x. Although now with the dinner plate cassettes it's hard to say it's a weight saving going 1x

nathanm

Eats Squid
Chain security. 2x has none.
can't see how going 1x deter's someone from stealing your chain?

In seriousness, if we're talking about chain drop 1x has been far worse in my experience requiring nw chainrings and guides whereas the front derailleur used to do the same job. Chain suck on 2/3x now there's a different story.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find the bigger the tooth count on the rear, the more chain slap I am getting. I am looking at one of those STFU devices for my main bike.
Here is my sliding scale of laziness
40T is fine for 1 to 2 hour rides but I am pushing my self a bit more
42T is a much nicer for longer rides
46T is best for pacing myself on my longest rides.
50T+ is when I give up and get an ebike

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
In seriousness, if we're talking about chain drop 1x has been far worse in my experience requiring nw chainrings and guides whereas the front derailleur used to do the same job. Chain suck on 2/3x now there's a different story.
My experience has been opposite, I cant remember the last time I dropped a chain on x1, that just with W/N chainrings, no chain guide.

Now my boys, actually... one of them drops his chain quite often, even with the both of them on the exact same 11spd SLX drivetrain, same wheels, same cassette and same clutched derailleurs. He does the same on his race bike with both of them on 10spd X0 type 2 clutched derailleurs.

I've put it down to him backpedalling at the wrong times when the chain is loose or whipping about on the underside of the chainstay.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Don't forget a front derailleur makes mounting a dropper remote more complicated.

Question for @Halo1 and/or @droenn, what size chainring are you typically running with your 42T/46T and are you on 27.5 or 29 wheels?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Full suspension: 32t (was 27.5 but changing to 29), Hardtail: 34t (29er), Gravel: 40t (700c)

nathanm

Eats Squid
some logical answers there, but I suppose my question is why such a large toothed cog? I'm 120kgs but can still climb ok with my old stumpy with 1x9 with 30-34t yes it's easier on the merida which is 32-40 but I don't often use the granny gear as the torque and my lack of ability will often see me spin the back wheel.
When is having such a massive gear really that necessary other than up a sealed road?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The other thing you can do is run a bigger chainring. Currently I'm running a 32t with a 9-46 cassette on my 29er. I'll be fitting a 10-51 XTR cassette soon so I might go up to a 34 or 36t chainring for better drivetrain efficiency. Bigger diameter gears have less drivetrain losses. If you watch the pro xc races on Redbull TV those guys and gals are in their 50t on some of those climbs and you can't say they aren't fit. Most likely they size up their front chainring depending on the course for those sweet sweet "marginal gains"

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've been on 1x for over 10yr now, absolutely pampered now compared to the old kludged 33f & 12-34 rear setup I had!

I'm with most of the above. Using a 32f and 42 rear I can't see myself running out of gear. Honestly, if the hills too steep to ride up in that it's time to hop off anyway cos it'll be faster

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Seems fitness is a factor too then, as would terrain of course. A strong, regular rider might query the need for a 50t granny when they can make it up anything rideable with 32/42 or less. Social riders probably rejoice having that dinner plate out back when they're out of puff.

When you look at new bikes specced with Eagle and now Shimano 1x12, typically with 30t chainrings on 29ers and 32t on 27.5, it seems to suggest an gear range on an 'easier' level. Bike suspension design is also optimised for a certain chainring size too isn't it?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Two bikes with 2 X , hardly ever dropped a chain here but I've always run a bash plate on the outside. If they drop they usually drop from the big to small ring and it climbs back on to the big without you barley noticing it. I would say it will be frame dependant also as how small you can get the gap from the inside of the the front derailleur between the outer bash plate and how well the chain lines up. 2x & 3x is just about dead, it's getting more difficult finding parts every year.

You have more unsprung weight with dinner plates that means your rear shock will be dealing with greater forces but then you would gain overall weight reduction too from less parts on the front. Horses for courses really, the 2x10 used to be relatively cheap and offer a great range of gears (22-36 x 11-36), chains most likely lasting a bit longer also. I seem to be able to climb with taller gears on hardtails too which would easily suit a 1x10 or 1x11 rather hauling a 14kg+suspension big forked bike up steep inclines.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I'm unfit and running a 34t front and NX eagle cassette (11-50t) on a 27.5 bike. I never seem to get much use out of the 50t, unless I'm really fucked and at that point not really enjoying the ride anyway. I think when I eventually swap over to XT 12 speed I'll just go the 10-45t.

moorey

call me Mia
Rattle of a front derailleur, chain suck, combined with simplicity of 1x, and an extra shifter on the bar, all mean I loathe a front mech.
10-42 with 32 up front gives me every gear I need, and peace of mind.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Rattle of a front derailleur, chain suck, combined with simplicity of 1x, and an extra shifter on the bar, all mean I loathe a front mech.
10-42 with 32 up front gives me every gear I need, and peace of mind.
You own an Orange, rattles are compulsory. :)

I find I don't get many with the bigger 36 ring and clutched derailleur, the other bike that's 32 big on the front seems to rattle a lot on descending but at least people can hear me coming down from a long way.

moorey

call me Mia
Nitpicking.
Oranges only make up a small part of my riding fleet.
I refuse to ride with people running front Derailleurs, both for noise, and in principal.