The logic behind dinner plate's, 50t+ cassette's

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I love these these threads(heavy sarcasm)
“I don’t need a dinner plate why should anyone else”
Or 1x or a dropper or a steep sta or ridiculously slack head angles or..... list goes on.
You have high expectations for a MTB forum on the internet :)

If everyone agreed on everything and left no room for good ol' fashioned hand waving ranting about today's in vogue thingy and half truths then might as well pull the plug on the rotorburn.com servers since there would be nothing left to dribble about

Not saying you are wrong either :)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Oops 34/46 In case you read before I edited. I didn't have chain troubles on 2x10 with the clutch, agree with @Mr Crudley but I still prefer the simplicity. 27 speeds. What were they thinking?
It's actually 42. Duh. Should have checked. Wife has the same elevated chainstay on the SC but it's converted to 1x with a 9sp that has a Sunrace 11-42. Also a 34 front, she could definitely use less chainring now I think about it.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
There must be some fit people around.
I ride as often as I can, across a fairly broad set of trails....but with work, kids, house reno's, etc etc etc....I routinely go weeks between bicycle action of any kind (I don't own a road bike).

My current monster truck is an XL aluminium Process 29er. From memory it's around 15 kgs.
I'm 40 y.o...pretty fit for my age but nothing special. I have pretty skinny legs for my size.
And I very, very rarely shuttle...because I have no friends :(

My point?
There is absolutely no fucking way in hell I would ride my bike without the eagle range - complete with "dinner plate" 50t cog. Chain ring is 32t for ref.
A 42 tooth granny? Hahaha....that's fucking hilarious. Forget it. I'd last about 40 mins and be back in the carpark doing the screaming cramp dance crying my eyes out. I visit The House of Fifty Teeth every ride.

And 2x10 set ups? Had one. It sucked balls - never in the right gear.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I first bought my dually, I was originally discussing a swap from 30 to 32 tooth front with the 11 - 46 rear with the bike shop. I was pretty fit at the time.
But in the end decided to keep the 30T front to try first. Top end still shits me to tears, but I actually find granny on most rides, even more now I'm not so fit. But that is mostly due to the local riding conditions which are out of control up at times, even in granny feel I'm grinding.

I do love the simplicity of the 1x, so will eventually be looking for a dinner plate 12 speed solution that will allow me to get a greater percentage range with a larger front ring for a better top end.

My other bike is a triple lol, I love it. With an inner tube over the chainstay its very quiet and never drops chains ever. Doesn't even have a clutched rear ha ha. Never run out of gears up or down. Middle gear is a 30T so is perfect for the majority of riding with 11-36 rear. Bail out 22T and 40T downhill ripping gears rounding out the front.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Or 1x or a dropper or a steep sta or ridiculously slack head angles or..... list goes on.

I have a 10-42. Does most what I need.
but I rode a bike with an eagle in derby and it was awesome. I don’t have the need to go out and buy one but it was great for where I was and that’s the point.
What i enjoy, almost as much as the riding is the shit talking between riders. Ragging on each others abilities, bike and component choices.
We will never all agree and that's what makes it all the more fun.
I was simply interested in people's thoughts on the subject.
I'm not sure if it's irony or hypocritical for you to add a "sarcastic" opinion and if you dislike these threads then why contribute?
Or in turn are you if the opinion that you need a dinner plate so how dare someone question it?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What i enjoy, almost as much as the riding is the shit talking between riders. Ragging on each others abilities, bike and component choices.
I'm not sure if it's irony or hypocritical for you to add a "sarcastic" opinion and if you dislike these threads then why contribute?
Or in turn are you if the opinion that you need a dinner plate so how dare someone question it?
*of

safreek

I have a 10-42. Does most what I need.
but I rode a bike with an eagle in derby and it was awesome. I don’t have the need to go out and buy one but it was great for where I was and that’s the point.
Yeah but droppers are just a passing phase, probs won't be around in a year or so o_O

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
But in the end decided to keep the 30T front to try first. Top end still shits me to tears, but I actually find granny on most rides, even more now I'm not so fit. But that is mostly due to the local riding conditions which are out of control up at times, even in granny feel I'm grinding.
Same here, especially on runs where you can pick up some speed. I always feel like I've run out of legs with 30/11. A big part would be 26" vs. 29" wheels. 1x was never 'really' for smaller non wagon wheels wheels IMHO. I do like low granny though - to hell with bravado, I've done my time cranking tall gears and need my knees for another 30ish years yet. 1x works well overall and is quiet.

My other bike is a triple lol, I love it. With an inner tube over the chainstay its very quiet and never drops chains ever. Doesn't even have a clutched rear ha ha. Never run out of gears up or down. Middle gear is a 30T so is perfect for the majority of riding with 11-36 rear. Bail out 22T and 40T downhill ripping gears rounding out the front.
3x hasn't given me enough reason to ditch it. Drag race the 1x vs. 3x and watch who runs out of gears first.
Admittedly, you don't need the big ring that much but it sure hauls when you use it in anger. My 3x bailout is 22/34 with is close enough to 30/46. I wasn't going 1x without it but the 1x top end does munch on arse as stated above.

Go

Likes Dirt
The reason for the big push to 1x from Sram was because they could never figure out how to make a FD that worked.
That being said the simplicity is nice to have.

Not sure 50t cogs are needed if you're running 32t or smaller chai ring. May as well walk

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
You just stay up the end of that driveway...
Now, now, don't be like that :) You will be forced to be all lonely having to spend quality time with the family. See how you like that one.
You will be running to the gate in no time begging to indulge in chatting about utter rubbish. I might have drowned in my own tears by that time.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Mate it was just your use of the word “ridiculous” twice in your initial post that got my eyes rolling especially since it appears you hAvnt tried a dinner plate except for at the table.
why is it ridiculous? Seems to work quite well for a lot of people for reasons stated here already. And for people that used to ride 2x as well.
so must be something in it I guess.

and no I “don’t need a dinner plate” but I sure appreciated the extra range when the going got tough. Give my knees and shit back a couple of more years and in all probability I’ll be going dinner plate.