Frame protection debate

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You are all such pussies.
I love scratching my bike frames and my cars.
I even bought a really nice cheap SC frame that was dented and scratched that no one wanted .
Obviously it wasnt structural cos I have ridden it a million miles.
I can't tell if you are taking the piss or being a dick?

When do you finally remove the frame and let it have it?
I remove mine after a couple of years or I fuck it.

If I showed you a photo everyone would freak EEWWWWW its dangerous but its only the rear triangle , not carbon and its obviously fine.
I have thrashed it down limestone tracks in the Northern Hemisphere for 1500m vertical , been to Rotorua and Derby twice.
So what?

It may break one day , another dually that looked fine broke both sides of the rear triangle next to the weld landing a jump properly , it just went whoomp, nothing happened except I walked back.
Just saying you cant make an omelette without breaking the eggs and unless you sell it to someone else or are OCD its just a bike not fine art?
If you don't want to protect your bike that's fine mate. I and others do. I spend a lot of money on my bikes I want them to be tip top. I maintain them and protect them and they last a long time. I would also argue that my bikes ARE fine art. So .... ...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You are all such pussies.
I love scratching my bike frames and my cars.
I even bought a really nice cheap SC frame that was dented and scratched that no one wanted .
Obviously it wasnt structural cos I have ridden it a million miles.
Legitimate battle scars are worn with pride. But otherwise I look after my stuff and make what is ultimately a small effort to take a bit of pride in the way I treat my things.

Maybe it’s a side effect of growing super poor - I value the nice things I’ve been able to buy myself and don’t like to trash them through carelessness.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have purchased my first Carbon dually so had the dealer sort a frameskin for it. Up until now haven’t bothered on my aluminium or steel bikes but thought the fantastic plastic needed some protection....

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Just saying you cant make an omelette without breaking the eggs and unless you sell it to someone else or are OCD its just a bike not fine art?
And sort of this that a bike is made to be hammered I agree about carbon frames though I dont have any as they arent recyclable..

sbm

Likes Bikes
Confession time. When I bought my first new mountain bike (alloy dual suspension), I was so embarrassed at having spent such an obscene amount of money on a bike, I actually got a small rock and added some scratches on purpose and claimed I bought it second hand.

Though I have to say these days, if I bought a carbon frame, I'd look into frame protection. But at the moment I plan on keeping all my current bikes for a few years yet.

slowmick

38-39"
nice and shiny when on. all depends how closely you look at your bike. You can always use it up as sacrificial tape on your cranks once we get back to shuttles.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Is this the stuff? Seems to have a serrated edge. I bought it just for some new forks but not real keen on the serrated edge.
I have used this a lot and just use a craft knife/scalpel to take the serrated edges off once fitted.

Minlak

custom titis
I had pretty much decided to just add down tube and cable rub protection only - (I like the idea of a full frame protect but know I won’t apply either all of it or will mess it up so seems a lot of money to pay to be disappointed) - riding on Sunday and the front tyre kicks up soo many rocks can hear them just tinkling away all over the frame - rethinking my approach again - might just bite the bullet and see how it goes.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Is this the stuff? Seems to have a serrated edge. I bought it just for some new forks but not real keen on the serrated edge.
yeah, the serrated edge doesn't show up much when on - but I also only used it for underside of downtube and then a little on top of downtube where my bike rack attaches to frame + small patches for cable rub. it is the budget option :)

Jpez

Down on the left!
Thanks fellas. It’s to go on some New shiny black Lyrics which may or may not be 29ers going on a 27.5 frame. Did someone say Mullet? :p