Help me build a bike toolset list

Scotty675

Cable thief
Chain whip pliers get a tick from me. Haven’t had my set long but easier than a chain whip. I took a while to justify buying them but e13 cassettes sold it for me

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I find it's more about technique. Wheels off with tyres on and wedged between you legs standing up. chain whip on and then a long handle for the casette tool (I use one with the 1/4" attachment). I also have a perdos and legit it's better though.
Amateur..... :p

Lockring tool in bench vice, place wheel on tool, and use chainwhip to unscrew wheel from lockring. Wrap it around the largest sprocket to maximise both contact area and leverage.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so I got a Feedback one, for the money I like it more than the Park PCS which a mate has and I've used a fair bit.
That's funny I hate the Feedback one. I love the clamp on it but I hate the 3 legs. I had one of those cheap $90 jobs for a few years and to be honest it was more stable. The clamp sucked terribly, you couldn't get it tight and it would never hold the bike level if needed which the feedback does really well. I also like the quick release on the Feedback but I can't get past the instability of the thing. I think I'm gonna sell it and buy a Parktool jobby with 4 legs. Alternatively I might wall mount one.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buying individual quality tools is a false economy unfortunately
How so mate? I bought all my stuff individually and agreed it's more expensive than a lot of these kits but it didn't cost me the GDP of Kreplakistan either. And good tools don't just have to be used on your bikes. I've got loads of things I work on that require better tolerances or stronger tools. I learnt the hard way having spent hours trying to remove threaded or rounded out bolts because I used something that wasn't up to the job that cheap tools cost more than just dollars.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How so mate? I bought all my stuff individually and agreed it's more expensive than a lot of these kits but it didn't cost me the GDP of Kreplakistan either. And good tools don't just have to be used on your bikes. I've got loads of things I work on that require better tolerances or stronger tools. I learnt the hard way having spent hours trying to remove threaded or rounded out bolts because I used something that wasn't up to the job that cheap tools cost more than just dollars.
Yeah you're talking tools in general, which I agree. But I was referring to buying one of those cheap kits. Surprisingly most of the stuff works really well. Sure not as nice and if you are building a bike a week, then I will probably wear out very fast. But for the average hack enthusiast, it's more than enough and makes a lot more sense to upgrade as you go rather than go all in at once.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Bike specific tools can be generic stuff but spanners, Allen keys and Torx, pliers and snips buy good quality stuff because you will use it on more than an occasional bike tune or build.

And dont use side cutters for cutting shifter outer wire rope cutters from Toa or Knipex do the job without any need to clean up the cut or ream the hole.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You wouldn't believe how much I lost my shit when I had a full set of nice spanners but needed a cone spanner. That thing cost $13 but has only even been used once - some obscure size that wasn't in the kit to remove a wheel assembly!
That is bike specific unless you take a grinder to a spanner.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Head set press?
+

Sorted.
Love me some channel lock linesman pliers for cutting cable inner/outers and brake hoses. Fit for purpose. It’s a bloody mtb, use a wood chisel and hammer to cut hoses if needed it’ll work fine. Special pliers, pfft.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That's funny I hate the Feedback one. I love the clamp on it but I hate the 3 legs. I had one of those cheap $90 jobs for a few years and to be honest it was more stable. The clamp sucked terribly, you couldn't get it tight and it would never hold the bike level if needed which the feedback does really well. I also like the quick release on the Feedback but I can't get past the instability of the thing. I think I'm gonna sell it and buy a Parktool jobby with 4 legs. Alternatively I might wall mount one.
Yes you have to position the legs properly, but compared to the two leg Park one which can fall over backwards pretty easy when no bike is in it and snap the winder which happened to my mates one it works for me. Luckily a shit old crank arm he had lying around was a good fit to replace the winder.