Electric Vehicles etc

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not sure it’s news to anyone that dealers are scum and some manufacturers take consumers for a ride on parts pricing…

This is jsut a Hyundai problem, not an EV one.
The batteries are the most costly part of an EV, Tesla dilutes the cost of batteries into the other parts of the car, by the sound of things Hyundai doesn't. I bet no one wants to take any responsibility for the possibility of a battery fire from a damaged cell within the battery case so it comes to replacing the whole battery. You could send it to an independent private EV dealer for repairs but then the dealership will most likely void any warranty on the car.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Wonder what an Atto/Seal pack would cost… I think I read somewhere a 3/Y pack is something like $15K USD.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Not sure it’s news to anyone that dealers are scum and some manufacturers take consumers for a ride on parts pricing…

This is jsut a Hyundai problem, not an EV one.
Yes, but if you scratch the underbody of your ICE car no one is going to bat an eyelid. Even if you damaged so like the sump, it’s not going to cost $60k.
It may be a Hyundai thing but from what I’ve seen it’s also a Tesla and VW thing.
There’s been a fair few instances of slight damage to the battery pack or a part associated with the pack and the call is to replace the whole thing. It’s bullshit
Pressure needs to be put on the manufacturers and dealers to honestly diagnose and issue and have repair options other than just replacing the pack.
It makes the whole look of being environmentally friendly, a total sham and gives the anti-EV mob more ammunition to knock it.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Early adopters of any new tech have to pay extra until the tech becomes mainstream.
I am not sure how many mechanics are updating their electronics knowledge so they can properly repair EVs.
I suggested it to the local car repairer and he looked horrified.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yes, but if you scratch the underbody of your ICE car no one is going to bat an eyelid. Even if you damaged so like the sump, it’s not going to cost $60k.
It may be a Hyundai thing but from what I’ve seen it’s also a Tesla and VW thing.
There’s been a fair few instances of slight damage to the battery pack or a part associated with the pack and the call is to replace the whole thing. It’s bullshit
Pressure needs to be put on the manufacturers and dealers to honestly diagnose and issue and have repair options other than just replacing the pack.
It makes the whole look of being environmentally friendly, a total sham and gives the anti-EV mob more ammunition to knock it.
Tesla packs are not 60k and don’t write off the car when you claim the damage on your insurance.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I am not sure how many mechanics are updating their electronics knowledge so they can properly repair EVs.
I suggested it to the local car repairer and he looked horrified.
Man-child is in the throws of starting a school based apprenticeship in Mechanicing and I asked his guiding dude if the dual certificate was a thing yet and he just looked at me bewildered and said that was probably a good idea.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
but they said..
"The battery system can be flexibly designed with the efficient standardized module as the base unit, .....
The benefits extend to A/S as well, because when a battery is damaged or broken, there is no need to replace the entire battery anymore. The ability to just replace the problem module will save our customers a lot of money. " :p

entire unit. US$32-38K

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Tesla packs are not 60k and don’t write off the car when you claim the damage on your insurance.
At $13k to $20k USD, it’s enough to write off a 3 or 4 year old car.

but they said..
"The battery system can be flexibly designed with the efficient standardized module as the base unit, .....
The benefits extend to A/S as well, because when a battery is damaged or broken, there is no need to replace the entire battery anymore. The ability to just replace the problem module will save our customers a lot of money. " :p

entire unit. US$32-38K
Maybe someone ought to show Hyundai motors this.‍ :rolleyes:

Flow-Rider

Burner
It happens more often than one thinks sadly.

Electric cars more likely to be written off due to battery costs – report
What might seem like a small amount of damage to an electric car’s battery pack could reportedly result in the vehicle being written off, creating flow-on effects for the automotive industry.

Electric cars are reportedly being written off at a higher rate than equivalent petrol and diesel models due to the cost of replacing their expensive battery packs, leading to higher insurance premiums and a backlog of damaged parts waiting to be recycled.
A report by news agency Reuters has found automotive insurers in the US and Europe are more likely to write off electric cars after relatively minor crashes due to irreparable battery packs, which cost significantly more to replace than a petrol or diesel engine.
Though an electric car may only appear to be cosmetically damaged after a crash, any defect in its battery requires replacement. With electric-car batteries costing as much as half of the vehicle’s value, insurers are all but forced to write the car off instead of replacing the expensive parts.

The managing director of the Allianz Centre for Technology, Christoph Lauterwasser, told Reuters there are cases where a battery pack might not have damaged cells, but it is impossible to diagnose whether its internal parts are still functioning as intended, leading to the write-off being process.