Electric Vehicles etc

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just went from a VW which told you your remaining range down to the last 5km.
My newer Mazda tells you until you have 80km left and then leaves to pray you make it - It is super stressful being in the dark like that

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I just went from a VW which told you your remaining range down to the last 5km.
My newer Mazda tells you until you have 80km left and then leaves to pray you make it - It is super stressful being in the dark like that
Yeah, the Renault and Alfa will do that too - just gives up on the last 50kms or so.

“you were warned ages ago, you’re on your own now”

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The VW's we've had have both been pretty accurate. I can't recall the last time I drove a long way in hard rain but the laws of physics would mean weight of the EV would disadvantage it.

indica

Serial flasher
Would be good to hear the details.
Yeah, would love to hear more.
how empty before BMS went funny etc

Okay.
400km round trip (that was not the plan when I bought the car, it's 60km further due to a road slip.

On the day, got there with 55% left. That's okay.

Torrential rain when I left, road was over so doubled back and went the other way. Pissing down, road is very slow due to the amount of water on it.
Instead of 17kW to 22kW @ 100km/h it was doing 35kW to 45kW at 85 ish km/h - for near 200km.
There is a charger on the way home but it was pissing down there too, didn't really want to run 50kW into the car in the rain.
Got near home hit 12%, the car would not accelerate past 85km/h. Turn the corner for the road home 12% to 0%.

Fuck me.
Called roadside, got a towie coming, turned the park brake off. 10 minutes later all power gone.

Towie comes eventually, Zero power, park brake has come back on.

CRC on the ramp, gets the car on.

Tow home, get it off with some issues.

Plug in - nothing, no handshake, the car does not pick up the charger, the charger does not run anything.

Press the button on the key fob - random hope - the car blinks, picks up the charger and starts "refilling".
I ran it slow just to be nice, checked the next day, the onboard diagnostics say there is no issue.

The weather is still shite (but nothing like that day) so I am scared to drive it far - short drive was fine.
I'll have a go on my day off, do a 120km round trip and see how the consumption is.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Another video showing how not to charge an electric car, in a situation that favours the ICE car (long highway trips) and would only be the 1% of the type of driving that the majority of us do.
They need to compare the ICE vs EV with a week of around town driving and commuting, with the EV being charged from home, which is the majority of our annual drive time.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Another video showing how not to charge an electric car, in a situation that favours the ICE car (long highway trips) and would only be the 1% of the type of driving that the majority of us do.
They need to compare the ICE vs EV with a week of around town driving and commuting, with the EV being charged from home, which is the majority of our annual drive time.
They are the kooks I alluded to in my previous post.

4 weeks of your proposed test would mean the ICE would have to fill up, where the few minutes time spent filling (standing next to a bowser spewing fumes at you) would greatly outweigh the handful of times the owner had to spend 5 seconds plugging in at home.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
They are the kooks I alluded to in my previous post.

4 weeks of your proposed test would mean the ICE would have to fill up, where the few minutes time spent filling (standing next to a bowser spewing fumes at you) would greatly outweigh the handful of times the owner had to spend 5 seconds plugging in at home.
Plus having to most likely go out of your way to get to the petrol station.