The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
oh don't get me started on the nbn. even nbn themselves hold us back. dgtek was going to build up their own decent fiber offerings at first it was going to be sold direct for like 90-100 dollars month for 1000/1000 then NBN whined about it and dgtek removed their pricing so you had to inquire.

nbn complained again and now dgtek can only act as a re-seller similar to how you can't buy NBN plans directly from nbn and now dgtek fiber plans vary from about 150-200 dollars per month all the way to 700-800 dollars per month.

good work nbn.

oh yeah and the nbn itself is a fucking shitshow. 30 billion and this is the trash we get?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
oh don't get me started on the nbn. even nbn themselves hold us back. dgtek was going to build up their own decent fiber offerings at first it was going to be sold direct for like 90-100 dollars month for 1000/1000 then NBN whined about it and dgtek removed their pricing so you had to inquire.

nbn complained again and now dgtek can only act as a re-seller similar to how you can't buy NBN plans directly from nbn and now dgtek fiber plans vary from about 150-200 dollars per month all the way to 700-800 dollars per month.

good work nbn.

oh yeah and the nbn itself is a fucking shitshow. 30 billion and this is the trash we get?
Please stop using it.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment

good work nbn.

jeezuzfukin... and complaining??

didn't Turnbull "virtually invent the internet"? all that FTTN BS and political knucklearsing around really did not help...

back in '05 i had 100meg (minimum) up/down in Japan (like $20/month), and THAT was slow.. could already get guaranteed 'gig to room...

in 2015 So-Net launched "Nuro Hikari 10gig" up/down service
in 2020, they launched a 20gig up/down service, for $90 a month (limited service areas though). domestic services.. not business...
1707291773981.png

we are so far behind, and always have been..... and always will be

Jabubu

let you google that for me

good work nbn.

It was fucked as soon as ACCC (at the behest of Telstra and Optus who actually wanted hundreds) insisted on 121 points of interconnect. It was initially going to be 14. So it became a lot more expensive to build and maintain, and participate as a smaller retailer.

LNP's fibre to the node sabotage didn't help either as NBN Co were starting to scale and finding roll out efficiencies.

But yeah Turnbull went along with it, and also got outspoken critics of LNP's fibre to the node fired from the BBC.

He's a chunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jabubu

let you google that for me
With full fibre it only takes upgrades to hardware rather than cable so really we should all have gigabit speeds available, but because the ACCC and LNP fucked it so hard, it's stupidly expensive.

I don't know if they can reduce the number of POI, I don't even know if it matters any more.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
With full fibre it only takes upgrades to hardware rather than cable so really we should all have gigabit speeds available, but because the ACCC and LNP fucked it so hard, it's stupidly expensive.

I don't know if they can reduce the number of POI, I don't even know if it matters any more.
I’ve got FTTP, but stupid prices mean I only have 20 mbps…

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

True, if the last mile bandwidth between the residence and the nearest RSP POI is increased then the RSP ideally also has to add additional capacity to support the increase. RSP's have traditionally oversubscribed the number of residences they have as customers vs. how much layer 3 IP bandwidth they use to provide to the customer based in order to connect to the outside world. It is the only way to make $$$ but there is balance there of customers vs. available bandwidth.

Residential internet has always been the unprofitable butt end. Not many make as much out of it which has led to the consolidation of smaller players ovre the past decade. After NBN wholesale plus the cost of their external IP bandwidth is factored in and other Opex costs such as their LNS routers, billing and management of it all then the pie gets small.

It is essentially numbers game where the more residences you have as customers then the better for your survival and you can haggle for sharper pricing for your NBN tails and external bandwidth. Hence why cheap and cheerful players like TPG have swallowed up market share. No one aspires for cheap and cheerful but it works well enough for most folks not to care. Going for a very cheap unlimited usage provider also can attract folks that like to download torrents and pr0n all day which is bad for the RSP business. It is better to be a bit more expensive and shed these people which will cost a bit less in Opex, such as L3 bandwidth, in the longer run. Conversely, it is great to have well paying customers that don't use your service too heavily too.

Last mile connectivity involving truck rolls and pushing cables through ducts is hideously expensive. The 121 POI is still a decent number and likely to be older school tandem exchanges that have ample fibre connectivity to capital city POIs but also links to local exchanges who are the first point of call for most residential connections.

Oh, and it is all 'best effort'. No one is guaranteeing any level of performance without the right number of disclaimer weasel words wrapped around it. If the network gets super congested then they just throw out those old best effort packets and move on :)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
what's the general prices for nbn fiber?

im paying for the fastest nbn wireless and id have to double check but even thats costing me about 100 per month
70 a month I think. It’s good enough that two devices will stream Netflix in HD at the same time and my work video calls work ok. That’s about all I need really

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I don't have my glasses on and was fully prepared to assume this was just a bit of a dig with someone who looked similar seems it really is our former acting pm unable to stand upright in the street. The same man who campaigned so hard on family values he had to have 2 families.
It's only drunk in public if you shit yourself in Engadine maccas.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
70 a month I think. It’s good enough that two devices will stream Netflix in HD at the same time and my work video calls work ok. That’s about all I need really
lucky duck.

My fixed wireless has really been struggling lately but I can't ascertain if it's a specific issue with tower or my devices because it just seems to struggle playing netflix and etc.

I'm going to be replacing the router to see if it's an issue with the old router which must be like 6 years or so old by now.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
lucky duck.

My fixed wireless has really been struggling lately but I can't ascertain if it's a specific issue with tower or my devices because it just seems to struggle playing netflix and etc.

I'm going to be replacing the router to see if it's an issue with the old router which must be like 6 years or so old by now.
Does any streaming work, such as YT also having the same issues or just Netflix?

Maybe test streaming to your phone whiel standing close to the router. Try it early on a Sunday morning when traffic is likely to be low and no one else at home is downloading big things. See if you get a good baseline result when everything should be as good and quiet as it will get. Then test again at peak times of the day like evenings and see if the result changes.

If you only use a VPN with Netflix then the packet fragmentation can certainly mess up streaming. Check the MTU size on the router and bump it down from the default 1500 to around 1430 and test again.