What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sounds rather like the old Wombat 50/100km - huge sectors of gravel/fire access road with a few bits of singletrack in between. I never tracked the mix, but they'd have been pushing 50% grovel roads. Kind of why I subconsciously preferred the time-based Endurance (true origin of "enduro" format; although the overall ride time was similar (3-hr/50km, 6-hr/100km), the shorter lap format usually had a considerably higher singletrack proportion, with only one or two short grovel sections to grab a feed & drink on each time around,

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should probably go in the LTIH thread, but it's relevant here.

Based on my google maps calculations, the "97"km Odyssey, that was actually 108km, had 46 km of gravel road riding.

Based on that, if I do the 50/30 combo next year, I'll probably do just as much single track as what I did this year.
Last year I did the 50km MTB and followed up with the 50km gravel the next day. The 100km MTB is nice to tick off a list, but the 50km MTB is a decent course. Gravel course was pretty good, 30km of climbing followed by 20km on descending (mosty)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Sounds rather like the old Wombat 50/100km - huge sectors of gravel/fire access road with a few bits of singletrack in between. I never tracked the mix, but they'd have been pushing 50% grovel roads. Kind of why I subconsciously preferred the time-based Endurance (true origin of "enduro" format; although the overall ride time was similar (3-hr/50km, 6-hr/100km), the shorter lap format usually had a considerably higher singletrack proportion, with only one or two short grovel sections to grab a feed & drink on each time around,
A few people have suggested if they can't get a good amount of single track into 100km why don't we just do the 50km course twice? Slower riders might make the second loop awkward, but that's part of the skill.

ausdb

Being who he is
Whilst having a lunch break today, I came across this video.
I thought it can't hurt to give it a go so found some feeler gauges and had a crack.
Stuck down.jpg
I was using a .005" gauge and couldn't really slide it in easily so pumped the shock up to 150Psi where it had been so it extended a bit. Then managed to get the gauge under the edge of the seal lip, once there it was just a case of holding the gauge in place whilst releasing a little pressure from the shock and allowing the negative pressure to push the seal over the feeler gauge until it released. At least I've avoided the explosive disassembly, fingers crossed I haven't scratched the shaft...

Fixed for the time being, the new and less improved short travel edition.
Spitty ST edition.jpg

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A few people have suggested if they can't get a good amount of single track into 100km why don't we just do the 50km course twice? Slower riders might make the second loop awkward, but that's part of the skill.
Could work, depending on the chosen course. At Wombat, the 100 used a sort of figure-8 course of two linked loops, while the 50 only used the second loop. Although both loops had a lot of grovel road, it was considerably more prevalent on the 2nd loop, so the 50km riders got a bit shafted on proper MTB riding.

The doubling laps thing then crosses into the vibe on shorter-course enduro races, where you get the snot-faced 3-hour riders lobbing into the middle of the 6-hour pack and yelling "track track track!" when there is no place to pass safely, and we long-haul riders are saying something like "pull your fucking head in and wait, I've already ridden for longer than your total ride will be!" I never had a problem with being lapped by the top riders doing the 6s, they were always really cool to hang back & wait until it was clear to make a safe pass, it was just the half-race snotheads who were shit.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So there is no shared experiences brotherhood with motorcycles apparently. Got abused by one for not letting him squeeze past my in the narrow lane I was in… He got several opportunities to discuss it with me as I rolled up next to him at the next three sets of traffic lights 5-20 seconds after he did, so clearly I had held him up.
He didn’t seem to like being told to suck it up princess, thems the road rules, so he roared off through a red light - that showed me!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So there is no shared experiences brotherhood with motorcycles apparently. Got abused by one for not letting him squeeze past my in the narrow lane I was in… He got several opportunities to discuss it with me as I rolled up next to him at the next three sets of traffic lights 5-20 seconds after he did, so clearly I had held him up.
He didn’t seem to like being told to suck it up princess, thems the road rules, so he roared off through a red light - that showed me!!

You better make sure aren't pregnant. We all know how powerful the revving of a motor can be at close quarters.

slowmick

38-39"
Could work, depending on the chosen course. At Wombat, the 100 used a sort of figure-8 course of two linked loops, while the 50 only used the second loop. Although both loops had a lot of grovel road, it was considerably more prevalent on the 2nd loop, so the 50km riders got a bit shafted on proper MTB riding.

The doubling laps thing then crosses into the vibe on shorter-course enduro races, where you get the snot-faced 3-hour riders lobbing into the middle of the 6-hour pack and yelling "track track track!" when there is no place to pass safely, and we long-haul riders are saying something like "pull your fucking head in and wait, I've already ridden for longer than your total ride will be!" I never had a problem with being lapped by the top riders doing the 6s, they were always really cool to hang back & wait until it was clear to make a safe pass, it was just the half-race snotheads who were shit.
I think the most laid back racers I have ever come across are the 24 hour solo riders. They are in a zone and just take it all in their stride.
You'd hear "when you get a chance mate..." and I'd usually give a quick look - see that I am holding up someone I'd seen in AMB, shit myself and promptly spear off to the shrubbery to get out of the way. Then there be a "no need for that " or "are you ok" as they continued on their way.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Hoping they put a proper bike path in along Augusta Road soon… It’s not so bad playing in traffic along there in the morning, but you have to be on it and pushing pretty hard.

And some mornings I just can’t be stuffed and want a gentle cruise into town in search of the nearest coffee shop!