Search results

1. D

XC Tyres

What's the go with inflating Conti RS tyres? Anyone find these tyres are a loose fit on the rim? The night before the 24hr at Mt Annan, two of us were at the bike shop with compressor working on Conti X-King 2.2 RS (front and rear). It was after midnight by the time we had them inflated, and...
  2. D

2011 Dirt Works 100km NSW - Entries open tomorrow.

Yeah i wasn't there last year, but i checked out some photos and they weren't the most inspired. In 2009 they weren't bad, and featured some sandstone action, e.g. at about 60k mark where there's a sizable final step down off a rock shelf.
  3. D

Good times, good times. Yeah i wasn't too fussed about pulling the two of you along to the bottom of the range, as the bike seemed to be propelling itself very nicely on the flat, and I was just rolling along in preparation for the climbs. Usually I love long, gradual climbs, but with a joke of...
  4. D

Yeah that could well have been him. That would mean he put a whole 6 minutes into me from where he passed me to halfway (something like 45-50 seconds per kilometre !!) and then 'only' another 4 minutes in the last 50k. I guess after halfway, he either gave the hunt away, had more mechanicals, or...
  5. D

I'm interested to know who the bullet was that came by me at about the 45km mark or just before, through some of that nice green almost rainforest section. I went in the first wave but felt very weak and took 2:19 to reach Ten Mile Hollow. A few km earlier I'd been caught by the lead riders...
  6. D

I haven't been up there lately, but I chose to take my S-Works Renegade 2.1s off for this one. They've only done 13 laps at Awaba, and are still in fairly good condition, but I reckon the super low knob height might be wanting for grip on the loose stuff and the steep rocky climbs, particularly...
  7. D

XC Tyres

Sounds good. I just did some reading on brake cleaner. What makes it do its thing (on automotive brake rotors) is a chemical called tetrachloroethylene. Turns out to be ridiculously toxic to anything that's alive...vapours = CNS maladies, or stupor, coma and death.......skin contact =...
  8. D

XC Tyres

Not yet. I've got some new RS Race Kings to use next Sunday, so I'll be playing silly buggers in the next couple of days. I don't have brake cleaner, so I wanna find out what's so special about it. I'm wondering whether just some isopropyl alcohol and a light scouring pad will do the trick. I...
  9. D

Building Aerobic Fitness

But if you're only racing for 2 hours or so, then 14 hours a week of riding (was that the figure you said?) is probably tonnes, especially at your age.
  10. D

Building Aerobic Fitness

Aerobic 'fitness' is a vague term and I wouldn't say it's the same thing as aerobic 'capacity'. Aerobic fitness will improve by riding within a fairly broad range of intensities, unless you are already very aerobically fit, in which case it will be harder to make gains. Basically riding your...
  11. D

XC Tyres

Not sure. I think the standard size tubes that come in a 10 pack from torpedo7 weigh about 165g. Another brand I got from Trek bike shop Rouse Hill (can't remember the brand) was about 170g-ish. Maxxis make two light tubes for normal 2.0" tyres if I remember correctly, ultralite/superlite...
  12. D

Training: 1 hour on the MTB is worth 2 on the road. True or False

For about 2 years all I owned was an Anthem 1. Did all my training on the road. The thing flies on road with 1.5" tyres. The only thing that wasn't perfect about it was the wear & tear on the drivetrain and suspension. Having said that, in about 15,000 km I only went through about 4 cassettes &...
  13. D

XC Tyres

Jathanas pistonbroke Can I ask how much you guys weigh? I'm 70kg, and will be about 68kg on race day. Maybe you guys are on the lighter side too, in which case I guess I should expect some lateral rim wandering in corners.
  14. D

XC Tyres

So lighter than claimed for you also. Interesting. Dammit! I haven't tried 2.0 Race Kings, only one 2.2 supersonic tyre (first on the front at DW, then on the back at Ourimbah). Simply put, nothing comes close. But I did have a tube in there. Perhaps without the tube the sidewalls...
  15. D

XC Tyres

Nowhere near as fast as RKs but :)
  16. D

Food/Diet XC Nutrition

Interesting. I didn't know that. I'd read that the body starts to use some protein for energy after about 2 hours of exercise, and that if it can't source it from food intake it starts to use its own muscle tissue.
  17. D

Food/Diet XC Nutrition

You don't need to overdo the carbs in the days before a big one. You should eat meals as normal. Glycogen storage is developed by consistent training combined with immediate quality refuelling. As I understand it, 'pigging' out the night before will fill your muscles to capacity, and then give...
  18. D

Food/Diet XC Nutrition

Made that mistake once myself. Twas a pineapple flavoured agar plate and had become far too exotic by the next day.
  19. D

XC Tyres

My 2.2 Race King racesports arrived yesterday. They're meant to be 500g, but they sat on my kitchen scales with the needle between 425 and 450g lines! So I put on an empty 750mL MyZone bottle, re-zeroed, filled er up --> bang on 750g. Did the same with a 600mL Gatorade bottle --> 600g! And...
  20. D

XC Tyres

Crossmark. Light? Not heaps, but light enough. Semi grippy? Not really, but don't be too stupid and you won't die. Fast rolling? Yeah. Dry rocky? Aw yeah. Good wearing? Aw yeah.