Search results

1. hilo

La Larr Ba Gauwa Park, Harcourt. Any info??

Any idea how trails are holding up with all this rain? I went there a couple of weeks ago--was great--but we've had a good soaking.
  2. hilo

La Larr Ba Gauwa Park, Harcourt. Any info??

Been there three time so far--lots of fun. Super well designed. A bit dry this Sunday. Hopefully a bit of rain is going to help out over the next few days.
  3. hilo

accommodation advice Bright

I stayed at an Air BnB in Porepunkah. It was great. Short warm up ride to Bright and the trails.
  4. hilo

Is the Minion DHF too much tyre for me?

Could be the upsell! I ran/run a Hans Dampf on the ol' Gary Fisher, and that's pretty good (though I lend it out to my buddy). The Optic is on Forekasters but I think you're right that it is better on the rear. The DHF is pretty heavy! At the moment it's fine--not like I can't keep working on...
  5. hilo

Maybe I am second guessing since I haven't run a tyre this aggressive ever. Can't recall what my rentals in Europe were--Ikon? As I said, the weight question is mostly moot given I am slowly chipping away at the excess weight I carry on my body which more than makes up for any tyre difference...
  6. hilo

Yeah planning to make/get another set of wheels so I can swap with impunity--probably do the High Roller II/Ardent set I have initially.
  7. hilo

1005 g according to the Maxxis website (29x2.5) I see the High Roller II that I have is heavier by about 100g . . . there goes that idea. For some reason I thought the DHF was heavier. Running 2 x Forekaster on my Norco Optic C1 -- those are about 735 each.
  8. hilo

This is what everyone says (well, many). I also note the fact that the real weight savings I need to work on have to do with my fleshy spare tyre.
  9. hilo

Hi All Been more recently riding a bit more aggressively--rode in Livigno in Italy on a rented 27.5+ Scott Genius and came back to my first rides on a Hightower (not LT) with 150mm MRP fork/DVO Topaz on the rear. Running 29" with Minion DHF 2.5wt on the front (brand spankin' new) and a...
  10. hilo

Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

Assuming Buxton closed now--usually after Queen's birthday until September, yeah? (Luckily, went last week if this is so)
  11. hilo

Olinda Pines

Time?
  12. hilo

Lighter Trail/AM-ish bikes for tall blokes: Reach and TT comparisons

The stock bars have a small rise--I might consider a slightly larger rise. Might grab some Renthal bars. Rode just after the storm at You Yangs yesterday--bike is going great. Myself, I am from Toronto.
  13. hilo

Northeast Italy - suggestions

You don't look short in the photos--how is the sizing for hire bikes?
  14. hilo

Northeast Italy - suggestions

Great I came across this thread--we typically holiday around that area (my wife is from South of Munich, so it's very close). Lago di Garda area I'll be looking at, and further north too--just hope I can hire XL or XXL bikes as I am 6'7" . . . .
  15. hilo

The Forrest Thread

Forrest was in decent shape this long week-end and was reasonably busy. However, I will shake my fist at whatever scumf&*^ left a goo wrapper in the bush. I picked it up and the syrupy 1/5 that wasn't consumed decided to ingratiate itself to my bikepack. *shakes fist*
  16. hilo

I've just spent the long week-end away near Forrest (and hence riding there). First of all, it's stiff! I had to put my usual grips on (I use the Ergon Biokork GP1) as the stock Ergons are a bit small for my large hands/long fingers. Also had to do some cockpit adjustment. My hands are big so...
  17. hilo

Bit of an update—and Norco figures into this (thanks Born-Again). I shopped around a bit, was going to go for the GG Trail Pistol, but I’ve been riding a lot and enjoying it so much (and the weather). Ended up quitting my job to start up part-time consulting to give me a bit more freedom for...
  18. hilo

Bright road trip Pit Stop ideas

Yup up through Black Spur, through Narbethong and to Buxton--MTB park is at Dye's Lane just past the petrol station (left turn or . . . West, I believe). (What is it, maybe 15 minutes from the top of Black Spur to Buxton) Love Buxton . . . . Lake Mountain also has something, but Buxton is...
  19. hilo

Thanks man. I’ll send you a message to arrange.
  20. hilo

Yeah for me it's a toss up between SC (probably Tall Boy but maybe Hightower in a 29" set up) and Guerrilla Gravity. Depends on how I am am doing financially :) Are you running the Hightower as a 29er or 27.5+?