Is the Minion DHF too much tyre for me?

hilo

Likes Bikes
Hi All

Been more recently riding a bit more aggressively--rode in Livigno in Italy on a rented 27.5+ Scott Genius and came back to my first rides on a Hightower (not LT) with 150mm MRP fork/DVO Topaz on the rear.

Running 29" with Minion DHF 2.5wt on the front (brand spankin' new) and a Forekaster on the rear.

Most of Victoria imho is loose over hard pack or so and given the forecasts for the summer it will likely remain that.

I would call my riding 'cautious'--I am still relatively new to MTB, and my bikes have been 100mm/120mm suspension up until now. Loving the Hightower, but man that front tyre . . it's big and heavy. Seems a bit . .. overdone for me.

My riding covers Buxton, You Yangs (not the downhill runs), Forrest, and going to check out the new one in Harcourt soon (La Larr Ba Gauwa). I'd call it 'trail riding' though I am, with my new bike, trying more aggressive lines as my skills get better.

What would the rational choice be for a front tyre with the aim to throw it on a new wheelset that I can swap with the the DHF/Forekaster mix? I have a new Ardent and High Roller II sitting around I could easily use....

Sincerely,

Tyre n00b

moorey

call me Mia
It’s my go-to front tyre all year round (various Vic locations). I find it very predictable.
Try something else and see though. There’s nothing I’d swap it out for, personally.

hilo

Likes Bikes
It’s my go-to front tyre all year round (various Vic locations). I find it very predictable.
Try something else and see though. There’s nothing I’d swap it out for, personally.
This is what everyone says (well, many). I also note the fact that the real weight savings I need to work on have to do with my fleshy spare tyre.

moorey

call me Mia
It’s what, 850g? I know the front is less prone to cuts and punctures, but I no longer cut corners with tyres these days, when there’s rocks around.

hilo

Likes Bikes
It’s what, 850g? I know the front is less prone to cuts and punctures, but I no longer cut corners with tyres these days, when there’s rocks around.
1005 g according to the Maxxis website (29x2.5)

I see the High Roller II that I have is heavier by about 100g . . . there goes that idea. For some reason I thought the DHF was heavier.

Running 2 x Forekaster on my Norco Optic C1 -- those are about 735 each.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you already have it I would give the High Roller 2 a go. Though its what came on my bike stock, been happy so far.

hilo

Likes Bikes
If you already have it I would give the High Roller 2 a go. Though its what came on my bike stock, been happy so far.
Yeah planning to make/get another set of wheels so I can swap with impunity--probably do the High Roller II/Ardent set I have initially.

moorey

call me Mia
1005 g according to the Maxxis website (29x2.5)

I see the High Roller II that I have is heavier by about 100g . . . there goes that idea. For some reason I thought the DHF was heavier.

Running 2 x Forekaster on my Norco Optic C1 -- those are about 735 each.
Pfft. 29”.
26 for weight weenies.
Is that DD? Oh wait, 2.5. Yeah my 26” 2.5 are over 900, from memory.
Not a HR2 fan but some are. Weight isn’t everything.

hilo

Likes Bikes
Pfft. 29”.
26 for weight weenies.
Is that DD? Oh wait, 2.5. Yeah my 26” 2.5 are over 900, from memory.
Not a HR2 fan but some are. Weight isn’t everything.
Maybe I am second guessing since I haven't run a tyre this aggressive ever. Can't recall what my rentals in Europe were--Ikon?

As I said, the weight question is mostly moot given I am slowly chipping away at the excess weight I carry on my body which more than makes up for any tyre difference (given I am 6'7").

Probably just not used to it yet!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I've run an HRII Ardent combo very happily at Youies, Maldon, Black Hill, Lysty, Red Hill, Mystic......

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Minions and HRII are very similiar, HRII sheds mud better, winion better for the corners is what I’ve found.

I’m a huge fan of minion ss/ardent rear because sliding around is fun.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
DHF and HRII are both great tyres. I've tried a bunch of others and keep coming back. As long as they are triple compound, they can't be beat.

I hear what your saying about wondering if it is too much tyre for you or for the conditions - but after some time on a DHF you will go back to something less aggressive and realise how much you were leaning on it and using it. Unfortunately, you only realise when you drop the bike by washing out or worse...

If you want to save 100gm, go to. 2.3 but other than that, I say stick with the DHF.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
If you want to save 100gm, go to. 2.3 but other than that, I say stick with the DHF.
If your rim is any wider than about 25mm stick with the 2.5" WT version. IMHO, the 2.3" squares off a bit too much on wider rims and the front end becomes less predictable when cornering. 100g is bugger all in the scheme of things, and a negligible penalty for a tyre that will help develop riding ability and confidence. If you're worried about that much weight take a crap before you hit the trails...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Why do you need such a big heavy tyre my friend? If you were charging downhill runs I could understand but us mere mortals dont need to be lugging around 1 kg tyres.
On my SCTBLTc I ran a Schwalbe Magic Mary and Forekastor over winter to handle the damp conditions. There wasnt any so ran an Ikon up the arse and a Hans Dampfher up front. Seriously I could run Ikons front and rear over Summer and be just fine. The forekaster was fine in the rear but not great up front. You should consider Ikons front and rear on your Optic and try a newer Hans Dampth on the front of your H-Tower with an Ikonic up its butt.

I am too old and fat to run heavy slow tyres. I also dont ride hard enough to worry about traction

hilo

Likes Bikes
Why do you need such a big heavy tyre my friend? If you were charging downhill runs I could understand but us mere mortals dont need to be lugging around 1 kg tyres.
On my SCTBLTc I ran a Schwalbe Magic Mary and Forekastor over winter to handle the damp conditions. There wasnt any so ran an Ikon up the arse and a Hans Dampfher up front. Seriously I could run Ikons front and rear over Summer and be just fine. The forekaster was fine in the rear but not great up front. You should consider Ikons front and rear on your Optic and try a newer Hans Dampth on the front of your H-Tower with an Ikonic up its butt.

I am too old and fat to run heavy slow tyres. I also dont ride hard enough to worry about traction
Could be the upsell!

I ran/run a Hans Dampf on the ol' Gary Fisher, and that's pretty good (though I lend it out to my buddy). The Optic is on Forekasters but I think you're right that it is better on the rear.

The DHF is pretty heavy! At the moment it's fine--not like I can't keep working on dropping body weight, but I think it is a bit of overkill so far for my riding. That said, it was great on the rocks at Harcourt.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
DHF or HRII cant go wrong. I think DHF rolls a bit better on hard pack. HRII might give you a bit more traction in the loose stuff.

DHRII works well as a front tyre also. Traction is King. Washing out the front wheel can get Fkd. Never any fun.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I like all 3 of those on the front.

My preference...

1. DHR2 - Grips very well, rolls better than the HR2.

2. HR2 - Good grip, more than the DHF, but doesn't roll quite as well as it.

3. DHF - Best rolling out of the 3, slightly down on grip on the HR2.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I like all 3 of those on the front.

My preference...

1. DHR2 - Grips very well, rolls better than the HR2.

2. HR2 - Good grip, more than the DHF, but doesn't roll quite as well as it.

3. DHF - Best rolling out of the 3, slightly down on grip on the HR2.
For me the HR2 is not a good front tyre. Grips then lets go suddenly much earlier than it should imo. DHF provides quite a bit more grip and importantly provides much more feedback when it gets overwhelmed.
From what I've read the DHR2 is supposed to roll better than the DHF so interesting you find the opposite. I'm about to try the DHR2 on the front (going to trim the centre knobs) instead of my usual 2.5 DHF so I guess I'll find out soon.

moorey

call me Mia
I seem to be in the minority, but find the DHF much grippier on front than a HR2.
Same with rear, DHR2 over HR2 any day.
It’s all in the mind with me though. If I believe a tyre will grip well, it will. If I’m worried about it, I’m all over the shop.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just fitted a DHF and a DHR2 to my Evil for the Tassie trip (2 months away), going to be interesting how it feels. Only rode them on the missus ebike and it doesn't really count.

Rode the HR's before and now riding the Onza Ibex which are similar, so new to Minions both ends.

Last edited: