Search results

1. sufferthesinglespeed

Derby...yet another thread

Hi all, been off the boards for a while. Still managing some bike time but it's been a shitty wet winter in the SW of WA. Good for farmers and such, not so much for divers or bikers. Which is me, without the farming. Any way...have booked a trip to Tassie to ride trails, Derby particularly but...
  2. sufferthesinglespeed

Adelaide

Will be in Adelaide at the end of July and was thinking of taking my MTB. Was planning to maybe extend my stay a few days and do some riding over there. The question is would it be worth doing this? And what sort of riding is available around the place that is relatively accessible? I've got...
  3. sufferthesinglespeed

Drilling frames

Anyone had experience drilling holes in frames to fit stealth cables? Am considering it for my older bike. Are there any particular areas to avoid, any traps that might catch out a novice modifier?
  4. sufferthesinglespeed

The Scout

Frame -NukeProof Scout XL Front shock/fork -Rockshox 140mm Sector Handlebars -Da Bomb Apache 750mm Stem -Pro FRS 50mm Grips -Specialized SIP Saddle -Bontrager cheepo Seatpost -KS Dropzone lever 125mm Front brake -Shimano Deore 160mm rotor Rear brake -Shimano Deore 160mm rotor Cranks...
  5. sufferthesinglespeed

Be Prepared

Finally got the Xmas present delivered today. Nukeproof Scout XL Set of new wheels to go with new frame and Zee shifter/RD.CRC special Sunringles. Price was hard to beat. Time will tell Built it up today. Feels pretty good. Feels long. Is long. looks a similar length to my XL Enduro side by...
  6. sufferthesinglespeed

Frame choices

In the market for a new frame and been given the green light. Looking at a steel HT but would settle for an alloy if it was the one. Even if it's only the one for this year(more on that later) Budget is probably up to $800 but hoping to go much less than that and there are plenty out around...
  7. sufferthesinglespeed

Tyre issue

Bit of a query on tyre issues. Took a mate out for a spin on our recently completed new trail section, him on my FS and me on my other. On the first bit of descent he dropped into a corner, nothing serious or outlandish and the casing seemed to have twisted. The tyre was looking like it was...
  8. sufferthesinglespeed

Bolt up rear eand

Have got my son set up on a Octane One Zircus, nice little frame. Claims to be able to cover DJ through to some trail riding. Have got him set up more trail than DJ just now but have an issue with the rear end. Horizontal drop outs make it hard to keep a QR skewer in there straight. I am...
  9. sufferthesinglespeed

Time for servicing..

Time has come for the major service of my Enduro 29r. Overdue in fact Will be sending the shock off for a service, that's just logical. The rest I'm pretty confident of handling, the bike gets plenty of TLC as it is. Couple of queries however. Pikes will be getting a strip down and clean up...
  10. sufferthesinglespeed

Alcoa Dusk till Dawn 12hr 2014

Anyone else on here do the Dusk till Dawn? Feedback? Was wondering if anyone else felt the same about the course this year. The decision to ride the course in the reverse direction pretty well killed any enjoyment of what is otherwise a pretty good track. Me and my two team mates felt the same...
  11. sufferthesinglespeed

Chainring/crank issues

Got a query on chain rings. Built my son up a Brooklyn Machine Works with a 9 spd drive train. The issue I have is that the BB is press fit BMX style and as such it's hard getting chains to match up between the cassette and the chain ring. Are there any chain rings that will fit Stolen Mob...
  12. sufferthesinglespeed

Enduro 29r 1x10

I have set up my Specialized Enduro as a 1x10 and have taken off the granny ring and FD. I am looking at taking out the taco blade just to tidy up the look of the bike plus it's not actually serving any purpose. My question is if anyone has actually done this? One part of it is attached...
  13. sufferthesinglespeed

Brake fluids

Just a query on fluids in the brakes. Anyone know if there is any value in swapping Dot 4 for Dot 5.1? Can it or should it even be done? I've got Formula C1's on my new Enduro and Elixirs on my other bike, Avids are 5.1 while Formulas are 4. It appears the only differences are in boiling...
  14. sufferthesinglespeed

Brooklyn machine works

I have just picked up a Brooklyn Machine works park frame and was considering building it for my son as a bulletproof bike. My question is about wheel sizes, 24" is normal but have been told 26" will fit. Is this the way to go for this frame, and what size forks would be appropriate? He is...
  15. sufferthesinglespeed

a newbie hello

Have just signed up last week. Got to say it's a pretty wicked little corner of the web right here. Pretty happy I found this place. Looks like the place to make a fair chunk of my bike plans come true. Just in the process of getting into some mtb riding. Living down here in the SW of Western...