010 Giant Glory DH, oooh thats a light one.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop

Coming in sub 15kg (14.9kg or 32.8lb) is my new Glory dh01. Too bad I put on 4 kg over christmas. Spec is basically the same as I had on my norco with wider al bars and a more cush seat. The manitou shock is yet to get a try out, its a bit of a muck around. But in the car park it feels much plusher than the vivid and roco air- which is surprising. I had to file the eyelet to make it fit, so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts before play develops- got it on clearout, so no biggie. It's going to gain a few more grams with the br-m810 brakes, which I can't go past for the crazy bite. Head angle is a shade under 65* and I am working with Works components to slacken that out some more. But it is not 66.5 like advertised. This is with 208mm boxxer upper exposed.

I have not been riding DH much so the parts have been holding up just fine. I'm still amazing by the stans flows which are still alive and now on their 3rd bike. I am also yet to get a proper flat, one cut from a rock sealed up pretty quick and only required some more air, but thats as close as I have come. Tubeless done right is awesome. My derailleur is a bit tweaked, so that is pissing me and the chain is rooted along with the rusted arse durace cassette. So that will get some work one day. Boxxers are clicking in the rebound too, so that will need the update fix as these were fist gen, just never really got to ride them.

Bike feels light for a dh rig, but still feels like a pig after coming off the reign x. Even though the reign now weighs more. And they both feel over built after ripping around on the xc bike mostly of late. From 650 to 780 bars is pretty nutso. I took it for its first run down the dawg and found the back end to handle very well- I did have the vivid in though, but the front issue was apparent- hopefully can get that sorted. Brakes suffered as I grabbed handfuls since not doing decent dh for sometime and with the extra lard on my arse. The track was a lot more washed out than I remember with exposed rocks littering the trail. Those saints are going to come in handy.

Spec-
Glory med
Boxxer wc 2010
Hope pro2
Stans flow, areo bladed spokes alloy nips
Tubeless 2.5 minions with stans and glitter
Xo derailler and shifter
Kore ibeam carbon post and belair saddle (was ifly- too hard)
Formula the ones with 'quad' 7" rotors
Mg1 peds, STS+ guide 36t, Guide ring, Atlas cranks
Atlas 780mm bars, point one stem, Giant grips with some old white lock rings
A few ti bolts...

Hope you enjoy

oh, spot blinky.

Attachments

Last edited:

nskz

Likes Dirt
Holy light balls batman! That said it's true DH 'pedigree' could be questioned with the air shock and those rims...jks :p

I'm interested on what you are planning on doing to slacken it out? New rear upper rockers to lower the BB/slacken the head angle? Some weird custom/hybrid angled headset setup? 24" rear rim ^_^. And the advertised HA is 65.5 deg, same as the old model.

Sick looking bike though, really love the 01 colours, much nicer than the 00 imo. With black boxxers (maybe even red) that thing would be even more mint.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet bike good to see it can come down to such a nice weight.
That's bullshit if Giant advertise there bike with a 66.5 degree head angle and its not, maybe the way they measure it is different?

j5ive

The white boxxers look better, contemplated keepin swapping the crowns and lowers originally- but the white pops.

The works components make a reducer headset for socoms and the like with 1.5" headtubes. I have been helping with specs and stuff to make one for the giant with its tapered HT. It will have an external upper bearing offset with a 1.5 lower like the socom headsets use. The external bearing is going to add 5mm or so rise in bar height. Only way to really do it.

The rims are plenty stong for me. Might not work for everyone, but I've gotten away with them for long enough to make them viable.

Riedy

Likes Dirt
Saw one of these in the flesh yesty and they look so farkin awesome! look way better than the dh0s;)
That is one nice ride mate, ride it hard.

j5ive

yeah dawg.

im saving for one of these. they weigh like 16.3kg stock
how much weight do you save by using an air shock?
More than that, stock weight was around 17.2 from memory. Bu the tyres are basically unusable. Very thin walls. Air shock saved around 200-300grams if I remember right.

samjam

Likes Dirt
nice jonny......the bars look amazing.how do you find the extra width?...and to take it down the Dawg this early in your relationship together is extreme and gutsy....actually,crazy if you ask me.she must like you if she got you both down in one piece....

rayza

Likes Dirt
very nice. I'm keen to hear what you think of the evolver. i ran one on my single pivot 5" trailbike for about 6 months and was well impressed for a non platform shock.

XXL

Likes Dirt
More than that, stock weight was around 17.2 from memory. Bu the tyres are basically unusable. Very thin walls. Air shock saved around 200-300grams if I remember right.
I just finished a few days at thredbo on the stock michelins, managed to dent the stock equalizers but didn't get one flat.