02 P3 (and earlier) vs 03 P3 and later

LZYBOY

Likes Dirt
I just picked up a 02 P3 (yep, the orange one) and was wondering about the reasoning behind the change in geometry and also how it affects the bikes riding characteristics.

Any comments?

Adi

It's my birthday!
I have 01 Frame, I actaully prefer it over the 03 frames. No idea as to why the geometry is changed.

LZYBOY

Likes Dirt
On a similar note ... I've whacked on a set of 03 Marzocchi FR (SL) 130mm on the P3. Was this bike designed for this sort of travel?

lotec

Banned
LZYBOY said:
On a similar note ... I've whacked on a set of 03 Marzocchi FR (SL) 130mm on the P3. Was this bike designed for this sort of travel?
i put jr.t2's on mine 130mm travel dc and theyre the same length from the axle to the top crown as the z3.5s that came on mine

janjuc

Likes Dirt
i've got a 03 p3 with dj2 theirs nothing rong with it, plus i had a ride of a '03 p2 2day with exr's i think can't really meba but yer still went fine

and would jr.t's fit on a 03 p3? :S i no they would, but wouldn't their be a slieght chance of the frame snappin?

i believe that the geometry changes from '02 to '03 make the bike more oriented towards urban and dirt jumping... beforehand it was an attempt at an all-round bike which could handle DH better

someone may correct me though... it's just what i summised at the time

Jordy

RYD4LF
i've got an 02 one and i love it... i havent ridden an 03 or 04 one but the angles on mine are fine for everything and very easy to manual