04 saint/xt/xtr disc brake calipers

Roastin

Likes Bikes
quick question here......are there any differences in these 3 brake calipers besides the weight difference?

what i know at the moment is they are all 2 piston, one-piece alloy calipers and look virtually the same........with the xtr one looking a bit slimmer, but the saint and xt models look the same........do they have the same stopping power? any problems associated with them?

planning to ship a pair over soon and just deciding which ones to get as the price difference isn't too great...will be using them with the 03 xt levers.......

Mason

Likes Dirt
From the way I see it, breaks are breaks, you are paying for a fancy name, and designer bike parts :roll:

Roastin

Likes Bikes
yeah the set of saints i was looking at with the xt levers work out to be about AUD360, brand new too!

was just wondering if i should save the $40 and get the lighter XT ones instead.........

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Roastin said:
yeah the set of saints i was looking at with the xt levers work out to be about AUD360, brand new too!

was just wondering if i should save the $40 and get the lighter XT ones instead.........
The new saints and xt brakes are exaclty the same, how are they lighter? Like i said, the ONLY differance is the rotor. The saint rotors use a larger centerlock interface and the xt uses a smaller one.

No offence, but i think you calculated wrong.

Saint brakes $110US each = $220US
XT levers = $100US
2 x 8inch international standard rotors $40 each = $80
Brakes lines $15 each = $30US

Total = $430US

Say about $40US to ship
=$470US

Conversion = $630 Australian + GST + import duties

If you can get them for $350AUS get me a set too hey.

Roastin

Likes Bikes
Cave Dweller said:
Roastin said:

The new saints and xt brakes are exaclty the same, how are they lighter? Like i said, the ONLY differance is the rotor. The saint rotors use a larger centerlock interface and the xt uses a smaller one.

No offence, but i think you calculated wrong.

Saint brakes $110US each = $220US
XT levers = $100US
2 x 8inch international standard rotors $40 each = $80
Brakes lines $15 each = $30US

Total = $430US

Say about $40US to ship
=$470US

Conversion = $630 Australian + GST + import duties

If you can get them for $350AUS get me a set too hey.
pm'ed you how i arrived at that price.......

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im gonna run 03 xt Levers and 04 xtr calipers, and hope gothic rotors(8") on the new bike 8)
Im fairly sure they're all the same caliper, just different colours etc... and name printed on them :roll:

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
bighitter said:
Im gonna run 03 xt Levers and 04 xtr calipers, and hope gothic rotors(8") on the new bike 8)
Im fairly sure they're all the same caliper, just different colours etc... and name printed on them :roll:
XTR's are differant and are not recomended for DH use. Also the DH gothic rotors are not that good, alot of the guys on ridemonkey that used them switched back to their normal rotors because they don't stop as well. Just go with saint/m756 levers and 8inch XT rotors or get a set of m756 or m755 brakes cheap from the states.

I reckon the new avid juicy 7's will be my next brakes. Alot of work has gone into the design, i really like where the pivot for the brake lever is positioned.

http://www.avidbike.com/2_cpsdiskbrakes/cps2_juicy.html#

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
those avid discs do look quite nice.
I already have a set of the old style xt hydros - still new.
The xtr callipers felt really nice on the dh bike i rode the other day though ? I may just keep the xt calipers. also the gothic rotors provide a little less power - but more modulation, which is what im after :D