05 Enduro - How strong?

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
Hey fellas,
In the market for a shorter travel DH/FR bike, And the SX trail is perfect. But as they are fairly rare + expensive, an 05 Enduro has caught my eye with an appealing spec list.
What i want to know is how much of a beating can it take? I am into DH, but am looking for a shorter travel bike, as DH is not all i ride, id like a more versatile bike, ive just come off an 8 inch DH bike. Im a pretty smooth rider, dont huck or do anything crazy, biggest jump had a 20ft gap.
Will it snap if i take it over gaps like this?

or should i wait till an SX pops up?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Jarrad

udi

swiss cheese
Enduro's are nice but I wouldn't have one as a bike to regularly DH, it's more the sort of thing you'd have as a second mess-around bike if you already had a DH bike. I think the SX Trail might be what you're after if you want to do everything.

As for breaking, a lot of the specialized frames of that design had a tendency to do chainstays, but they updated the SX Trail in 08 with a newer chainstay that helps stop this, and it should be retrofittable to previous generations of it also.

Last edited:

frostbite

Likes Dirt
I have an 06 expert and I like it a lot. Its too heavy for racing XC, but its doable for general trail riding, especially if you like the more gnarly stuff. I think mine weighs in around 14kg usually and about 15 in DH trim.
I ride DH on it too (though not as often as I'd like) and it does well at places like the you yangs but I'd prefer something a bit burlier at Buller for example.

Ive had mine for a while now (bought 2nd hand when it was a year old) and I destroyed the wheels but now that I have two wheelsets (XC/AM and FR/DH) its sweet. I dont know what gear the 05s had but mines got fox 36 TALAS forks (rebound adjustment only though :( )/dhx air its a fairly sweet bit of kit for aggressive trails and light DH/FR.