05 Epic

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Thought i may as well post it before i wreck it!
05 Specialized Epic
Rock Shox Revelation 130-85 coil spring
XTR rear derailleur
XTR front derailleur
XT crankset
XT cassette
XTR chain
XTR clipless pedals
XT hydro brakes with metallic pads
XTR rapid fire shifters
Easton EA30 wide bar
ODI Ruffian lock-on's
Cane creek headset
Thomson Elite layback seatpost
Thomson Elite Stem
WTB rocket v seat
Shimano 565 rims and hubs
Maxxis Larssen tt 2.3 tyres

Attachments

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I am very curious with this one...
Is it an M4 or M5 frame? Are you more XC or trail orientated?
The reason I ask is that Im interested in your choice of fork...Ive always considered the Epic to be very much XC specific, yet you have an AM styled fork on it...how does she ride? (especially with it set at the highter regions of its travel?) Im considering a Revalation on my NRS...

Fantastic build anyways!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Hey Ango,
It is an m4,and the build is indeed a curious one.
I suppose my style of riding goes between all mountain and xc.
I run my rear shock soft with the revelations set at 122 mm,and also on the softer side,but conversely,i have the ability to u-turn the fork and harden up(inflate) the rear shock to use it purely for xc.
I suppose i am having a bet each way,but i love the ability to change from plush all mountain to literal hard tail xc.
The revelations are unbeleivable for the money,much cheaper than fox and i imagine nearly as good,my thoughts are if you are thinking about it,think no more and do it!

faz

Likes Dirt
Nice bike and upgraded very well too.

I'm a big believer that all Specialized's should be red (or black which mine will be when in arrives in '08).

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It truly is.... Epic.

Out of interest, how do you find the setback Thomson Elite? I'll be buying a setback one and want to know the difference between non-setback and the setback style ($66 for a Thomson, can't complain).

BM Epic

Eats Squid
It truly is.... Epic.

Out of interest, how do you find the setback Thomson Elite? I'll be buying a setback one and want to know the difference between non-setback and the setback style ($66 for a Thomson, can't complain).
I got the layback one because of long legs as compared to the rest of me,(excluding private parts)it is great for that reason alone, because it makes the cockpit that much more comfortable.

mhg

Likes Bikes
Nice. I'm suprised it weighs 12.9. I think that sort of build makes a lot of sense around here..(but then I would, my 575 is similar ;) )

How do you find the Larssen tt's up here on the fire trails?

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Nice. I'm suprised it weighs 12.9. I think that sort of build makes a lot of sense around here..(but then I would, my 575 is similar ;) )

I flatted yesterday(pinch flat),otherwise those tyres are awesome,very forgiving and great cornering even at high speed,Oh the 575,that was my first choice in frames,the wheelset is where most of my weight comes from(500 dollars shimano mountain sport where the nipples are at the hubs,1 and a half years of riding and like new).
How do you find the 575?
I am at winmalee,where are you at on the mountain?

BM Epic

Eats Squid

Now i know what bike you ride(i voted for it!)GREAT BIT OF MECHANICAL ART!

mhg

Likes Bikes
I flatted yesterday(pinch flat),otherwise those tyres are awesome,very forgiving and great cornering even at high speed,Oh the 575,that was my first choice in frames,the wheelset is where most of my weight comes from(500 dollars shimano mountain sport where the nipples are at the hubs,1 and a half years of riding and like new).
How do you find the 575?
I am at winmalee,where are you at on the mountain?
Katoomba...I guess Narrow Neck is my local. So far the 575 is great, much nicer than pushing my old Craftworks up a hill.

I've been meaning to try the Larsen TT's. I'm running Conti Vertical pros but I think the TT's will be lighter and roll a bit faster..just wasn't sure about the grip :confused:

It's a funny world, before the 575 came along at the right price, i was looking at an Epic :p

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Katoomba...I guess Narrow Neck is my local. So far the 575 is great, much nicer than pushing my old Craftworks up a hill.

I've been meaning to try the Larsen TT's. I'm running Conti Vertical pros but I think the TT's will be lighter and roll a bit faster..just wasn't sure about the grip :confused:

It's a funny world, before the 575 came along at the right price, i was looking at an Epic :p
That's strange,i still have my heart set on a 575 though,the new ones look trick!
I guess my local is grose head south 21 km loop,and blue gum for quick blats around!

mhg

Likes Bikes
That's strange,i still have my heart set on a 575 though,the new ones look trick!
Haha..keep your eye out for kore23, he'll probably build up a new 575, decide he has too many Yeti's and stick it in the for sale section...then you can pounce ;)

PM me when you're keen for a spin....

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Haha..keep your eye out for kore23, he'll probably build up a new 575, decide he has too many Yeti's and stick it in the for sale section...then you can pounce ;)

PM me when you're keen for a spin....
That would be sweet if you can put up with a 41 year old has been with a mate who's 40 and rides like a whippet,he has to wait for me heaps while i am on the verge of collapse!
So we would love to do narrow neck!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Mgh; I ran the Conti Verticals (non-Protection version) for a while...great tyres but moving onto Larsens, you wont look back. Much lighter and they roll so much faster, especially on hard-pack/rocky situations...

Hey Ango,
It is an m4,and the build is indeed a curious one.
I suppose my style of riding goes between all mountain and xc.
I run my rear shock soft with the revelations set at 122 mm,and also on the softer side,but conversely,i have the ability to u-turn the fork and harden up(inflate) the rear shock to use it purely for xc.
I suppose i am having a bet each way,but i love the ability to change from plush all mountain to literal hard tail xc.
The revelations are unbeleivable for the money,much cheaper than fox and i imagine nearly as good,my thoughts are if you are thinking about it,think no more and do it!
M4...so thats got about 80mm in the rear?
I can completely relate to your style man...because thats mine! The NRS is very similar to your Epic in that they are both XC weapons...soft on the decent and hardtail for the slog back up the hills...and indeed my riding style is very much that 'agressive' middleband between XC and AM.
Kinda going against the idea of 'No Sag' in the NRS, I run a tiny bit in the rear just to help small bump absorption...and my forks sit at a comfortable 100mm...(Coil Sprung Manitou Blacks) But when I really hammer down and chase my mate on his Spec Enduro, the limits of the Blacks become evident...
I was originally thinking of a Reba SL and having them set at 115mm (a happy medium)...but I dunno...Revalations offer that little more...ah well...still thinking...

Awesome work anyways man!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Mgh; I ran the Conti Verticals (non-Protection version) for a while...great tyres but moving onto Larsens, you wont look back. Much lighter and they roll so much faster, especially on hard-pack/rocky situations...

M4...so thats got about 80mm in the rear?
I can completely relate to your style man...because thats mine! The NRS is very similar to your Epic in that they are both XC weapons...soft on the decent and hardtail for the slog back up the hills...and indeed my riding style is very much that 'agressive' middleband between XC and AM.
Kinda going against the idea of 'No Sag' in the NRS, I run a tiny bit in the rear just to help small bump absorption...and my forks sit at a comfortable 100mm...(Coil Sprung Manitou Blacks) But when I really hammer down and chase my mate on his Spec Enduro, the limits of the Blacks become evident...
I was originally thinking of a Reba SL and having them set at 115mm (a happy medium)...but I dunno...Revalations offer that little more...ah well...still thinking...

Awesome work anyways man!
Thanks Ango,
it took a lot of thinking and researching to get what i wanted,at 41 y.o. i dont want to regret what i buy,this has already proven to be the best purchase for my baby so far,i dont think you will regret it!
NRS with revelations yeehah!
The rear shocks travel as measured is 89mm:confused:
But i run it very soft so the brain doesn't interfere too much!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Thanks Ango,
it took a lot of thinking and researching to get what i wanted,at 41 y.o. i dont want to regret what i buy,this has already proven to be the best purchase for my baby so far,i dont think you will regret it!
NRS with revelations yeehah!
The rear shocks travel as measured is 89mm:confused:
But i run it very soft so the brain doesn't interfere too much!
Yeah! Well Im only 18 and a lightweight at that so I cant see myself putting them though that much hell...thats why the Rebas were a logical alternative...
89mm sounds about right. My old Yukon ran SPV-equipped Minutes and I remeber running enough air in the chamber as to no stuff up the system but to limit SPV's restrictions...Is the whole brain thing any good? Is it active or to you really have to be pushing it to get results? I know that the NRS and the Epic have their quirks in regards to suspention design...not as active as most frames...but then again, not many other bikes can transform so effectivly into hardtails eh?!