07 40's vs. codes

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
Hi all quick question.

From what i gather with the 'extended' I.S mount on fox 40's, the '07 models, you only require a IS/Avid 6" adaptor to run a 8" disc?

Or do you still need an 8" adaptor for 8" disc?

Searched here and fox site, no definate answer.

Cheers all.

Plow King

Little bit.
If the lowers are the same as the 06 fox 40s you will need an 6" I.S adapter to run 8" disc brakes.

DownhillerDeano

Lucky I kept my 203mm avid disc...the 185 rotor I got with the codes is redundant if size for size rotor/adaptor wont work..need something smaller than a 6" adaptor to run the 185 disc presumably then?

|Matt|

Banned
Sorry to hijack, but I didn't think it was worth a new thread. Are Avid and Shimano rear adapters compatible? Basically, can I put my Saint brake on an Avid adapter?

mtb_biker

Likes Bikes
Is that the same for 36's aswell then?
No it is not the same for the 36. Depending on the year you will need different adapters (either post mount for 08's, or IS for previous years). They use standard mounting and aren't pre-offset, so a 160mm adapter is used on a 160mm rotor and so on.

Last edited:

mtb_biker

Likes Bikes
Sorry to hijack, but I didn't think it was worth a new thread. Are Avid and Shimano rear adapters compatible? Basically, can I put my Saint brake on an Avid adapter?
Make sure the adapter is the correct size. I'm pretty certain Shimano Disc sizes are 160/180/203.

Avid is 165/185/203 but they have made 160mm before as well i recall.

If you're running a 203mm rotor you should be golden and able to swap between adapters without any problem.

Last edited:

|Matt|

Banned
Make sure the adapter is the correct size. I'm pretty certain Shimano Disc sizes are 160/180/203.

Avid is 165/185/203 but they have made 160mm before as well i recall.

If you're running a 203mm rotor you should be golden and able to swap between adapters without any problem.
I've got a 160mm A2Z rotor, the shop said they sent a 160mm Avid. So it should be fine?

The only reason I'm being so anal about it is because the rotor I have is lethal and will own the pads if not aligned 100% properly

This bastard here:

Last edited:

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Hi all quick question.

From what i gather with the 'extended' I.S mount on fox 40's, the '07 models, you only require a IS/Avid 6" adaptor to run a 8" disc?

Or do you still need an 8" adaptor for 8" disc?

Searched here and fox site, no definate answer.

Cheers all.
Yeah,
you only need a 6 inch adaptor...
Or... you could get an 8 inch adapter and run a custom made 10 inch rotor? it would be a first =]

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Yeah,
you only need a 6 inch adaptor...
Or... you could get an 8 inch adapter and run a custom made 10 inch rotor? it would be a first =]
I've got a 160mm A2Z rotor, the shop said they sent a 160mm Avid. So it should be fine?

The only reason I'm being so anal about it is because the rotor I have is lethal and will own the pads if not aligned 100% properly

This bastard here:
WHAT!
How does that rotor work? Theres not even a alligned circle, it looks like it would be impossible for the pads to be on the actualy rotor at all times?

DownhillerDeano

WHAT!
How does that rotor work? Theres not even a alligned circle, it looks like it would be impossible for the pads to be on the actualy rotor at all times?

Yes, there is no continuos circle on that rotor, however pads are between 15-20 mm right so some part of the pads would always be over a bit of the rotor.

For looks not braking performance that rotor I reckons;)