• 2008 Rochshox Argyle 318

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • OTHER

Votes: 11 14.9%

• Total voters

| D | M | R |

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

I need some help. At the moment I have 2008 Marzocchi DJ2's. I am looking for some new forks and I thought Argyle 318's would be nice. But are they worth the $$$ to upgrade?

Or any other fork???

My budget is around $550
My riding style is DJ, Park, Street
and they will be going on a DMR Transition.

Please Vote and specify why you voted for that fork

bendogger

Likes Bikes
Yer the argyles are pretty sweet but i would recommend the rockshox pikes which have 100 - 140 ml of adjustment

| D | M | R |

Likes Dirt
thanks for all the feedback guys.

I have heard some things about pikes... like they have a soft spring and break easy...

also if I had travel adjust ... I would be tempted to put the forks up which will put stress on my frame... ( frame is 80 - 100mm ).

And also I want stock white forks which I notice White Pikes come on stock Specialized AM Bikes but thats it... you cant buy them white???

yeah i wud go argyles for sure
i havent seen/heard/read anything bout the pikes, but as far as i kno the argyles wud suit your riding style if you do like DJ/park etc.
i think they are around $650, but dnt quote me on it haha

yeah i wud go argyles for sure
i havent seen/heard/read anything bout the pikes, but as far as i kno the argyles wud suit your riding style if you do like DJ/park etc.
i think they are around $650, but dnt quote me on it haha
Yeah 653.37 AUD on crc with free shipping but they all out til 11/3.
Im in the same boat, im keen to upgrade but im hesitant to pay $650 for some forks which are known to bend (ive noticed comments on this throughout farkin). From what I understand the 409s are where its at but $865 is very steep.

Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1s (20mm 2008) are $442 on crc. I think ill give them a try and cop a king steel set too as it will end up being close to the price as some 318s.

On a side note; I blew out my headset over a big gap last week but my shitty rst launch's took the hit fine! I need a king steel set in my like.

andrewG

Likes Dirt
i just sold my manitou gold labels for a set of argyle 318's

the argyles are way nicer :)
but the reverse arch on the gold label looks better with 24" wheels

rob dog

Squid
Hey Mate, had the same descision to make a few months ago and went the argyles and would definetly reccomend them, Nice firm action. Im pretty sure they are lighter than the DJ 2's and have the advantage of compression adjustment whereas the DJ 2's have only air preload.

Also a big bonus is that I think TBSM still has a sale on them at moment for $495 including shipping!

my_bike

Likes Dirt
For me I would get the Argyle's over the DJ2's just as I prefer Rock Shox better than Marzocchi now days.

csd

Likes Dirt
Argyles are a great fork, you can't really go wrong with them. As mentioned, Pikes are also another option plus you do get the benefit of adjustability with them. Or you could mix and match them both into a Pargyle for the best of both worlds :p

The only thing I dislike about Argyles are the chrome stanchionsm but that's just personal taste :)

flyracing

Likes Dirt
definetly argyles, my mate has 08 DJ 2's and they feel like shit, they also look pretty shit and are heavier than the Argyles

I_EAT_DIRT

Likes Dirt
Personally i would go with the DJ2s, Dont know the physics of it, but you can pump them up with air (or take air out) to make them stiffer/softer to your liking. The argyles do not have air preload (302 and 318) so you left with the knobs ontop of the forks to adjust, which dont do much really. 09 DJ2s are singnifigantly (sp) cheaper too, only $434, have look. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30254

rob dog

Squid
you can pump them up with air (or take air out) to make them stiffer/softer to your liking. The argyles do not have air preload (302 and 318) so you left with the knobs ontop of the forks to adjust, which dont do much really.

True, but the DJ2's are a coil sprung fork (same as the argyle 318) and the air valve is for pre load rather than a full air sprung unit (like the argyle 409). I have air pre load on my Marz Z1's (a coil fork with air preload) and my experience with it has been terrible, as it took all progressiveness out of the action and made them realy harsh adding to that the forks topped out realy bad (adding only the recommended air preload ~5-10psi).

On the other hand I have 318's on my suburban and the compression adjuster works pretty well , a bit too my supirse aswell.

But these are just my experiences and may be different to others!:)

Last edited: