08 Reign X1

Hey Farkers,

After months of browsing i've laid down some cash and walked away with a 2008 Giant Reign X1. I've completed a few short trails thus far and i'm blown away by the ride. I'll get some pictures up shortly but would rather wait until i swap out a few parts. I've noticed some very nice samples lurking in these forums.
My question and i seek your advice is what parts do you think need upgrading before it gets bashed and bruised.

My thinking is the

Handlebar, something a bit wider, perhaps Raceface Diablous DH low risers.
Brakes are juicy fives, upgrade front rotor to 8".
Pedals, Easton Flatboys.
Front Derailleurs, LX to Shimano Saint.
And last but probably most importantly, LX/Sun Rhyno Lite to King/Hadley Hubs & Mavic EX823 Tubeless or EX729 rims.

The wheels and handlebar are probably the most important to me, and the others i'll consider if the budget allows or the misses goes on holidays!:D

Bollocks

Sonny Phil

Cannon Fodder
Hey Bollocks, sounds awesome I'm looking at getting one of these myself, glad to hear your happy with it man, ive heard both positive and negative feedback about these bikes on this forum, but the positive outweighs the negative! Let us know how you go with your ride any issues etc

btw how much did you pick her up for if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers,
SP

I paid full price, i always do. When God was handing out Haggling skills i was last in line:( I did get the usual spare helmet, pump, bag etc. etc. etc.

So far the only negative would be chain slap, but i've never ridden a dual suspension bike with 6.7" of travel:D I've ordered a Raceface chain guide, i'll see how that goes.

The tires have amazing grip (Kendas), at the expense of rolling resistance.

Hamer

Likes Dirt
good pick up! they are an amazing bike for what they are, pretty much a mini glory i think. What i would change would be the tyres, they are ok when brand new but when they wear they tend to loose grip (i noticed this after like 3 rides), the grips- the plastic lock rings develop a fair bit of movement. and the handle bars something with some width would make it handle heaps better.
have fun!

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey mate, great choice there,
i got the 2007 one really cheap. the only upgrades ive put on so far has been new tires (maxxis minions) and i plan to put a chain-guide on soon. Handle bars would be a good upgrade because the stock ones are really small:)

notenufftoys

Likes Bikes
glad your happy man :)
i got one about 8 months ago, best bike ive ever riden.
im happy with it, can race DH on it, turn around and ride back to the top.
have fun with it
heres mine at the moment,
got the wheelcraft shore wheelset, raceface tensioner, eastern monkey bars and funn stem and pedals. thinkin bout new bars, wider again maybe.. i dunno yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 07 Reign X1 upgrades included:
Easton Havoc wheelset - Minion 2.3 singleply
XT brake calipers with XTR levers, XT Rotors 8" front/6" rear
XTR crankset FSA clear bashgurad
DHX3 to DHX5 with Ti spring
Sunline stem and V-one bars
Lockon grips
Thomson seatpost, SDG TiFly-C saddle
Welgo pedals

Weight = 14.9kg

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have fun with it
got the wheelcraft shore wheelset, raceface tensioner, eastern monkey bars and funn stem and pedals. thinkin bout new bars, wider again maybe.. i dunno yet.
not only can he race dh on it, hes won at least the last two races :D.
I've got last years glory 0, and the reign definately commutes (as in up and flatness) better than the FR.
good bike, especially for weight and strength.

Last edited:
have fun with it
That bike looks mad! I was looking at those Shore wheels from Wheelcraft in the MTB magazine the other day, i prefer the stealth look but was wondering if i could get the rims MTX33 in black (I'll have to contact Wheelcraft). Which Raceface tensioner are you using, i've ordered the Diablous. Thinking of getting the D2 stem and Diablous bars.
How about brakes, happy with the Juicy5's 7inch?

notenufftoys

Likes Bikes
yeah i bought the diablous tensioner off a fellow farker not long after i bought the bike.
The brakes are alright, maybe a little underpowered occasionally but theyre good enough until i get some more cash. Maybe even 8" front and 7" back woud fix that. What pedals are you going to run?

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One of may mates has one, he quickly replaced the:
Tyres: Maxxis Minions
Chainguide: E-13 guide and single speed front chain ring
Grips: Odi lock-on
Pedals: Straightline

His next move apparently is to replace the brakes with either saints or juicy 7's howver i think the 5's are good. I recon just stick an 8" on the front and you should be sweet.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're looking for a guide, I have a new (in box) e13 LG-1 with 2 clear Tacos up for grabs.
I can do it for well under retail (including postage)...
PM me if interested!
And congrats on the new bike. I'm a fan of Giant's Maestro suspension (I'm on my 3rd Maestro...!)

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldnt do all those upgrades. Maybe just the 8" rotor up front, new tyres and the chainguide, pedals if you must but save your cash, your current components are fine.