09/10 National XC Series. Official Thread.

trav

Likes Dirt
Trav, do it, a great venue for a national round. Didn't it get rained on last year? Damn all I care about is rain. Guess that I will get to fly at that Avalon place as ain't it near the You Yangs? GMBC do all the evnts at You Yangs don't they? Akashra rode there recently didn't he?she?
Not interested

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
two others were in Expert men from memory (2nd and 3rd).
I had to check results on that one, you had me confused. See, you're referring to me here and I didn't do every round.

I digress. I assume the change of categories is to try and bring XCO racing in Oz inline with the Euro model which is so popular. Why then wouldn't we just copy the Euro model? I've got no concrete data but I reckon it's a pretty safe bet that the majority of people that would want to watch XCO racing also want to race it. The answer is obvious, race the proposed categories of U17/U19/U23/Elite on SUNDAY, have an open Women's and open Men's race on the Saturday.

No series points for the Saturday race, just the opportunity for people to race against themselves, their mates, dudes of the same ability and compare lap times to the fast guys the next day. With only two categories it leaves room for a practice session so the guys racing Sunday who work fulltime and only arrive Friday night/Saturday to get a look at the track before racing. It also opens up the opportunity to make course changes for the Sunday races to include some harder tech sections.

If shortrack needs to be fit in somewhere just run it Open Womens, Open Mens during the afternoon on Saturday. The top Elite riders may not ride it as it's prior to the XCO, but lets face it. They're not gonna ride it at 8am the day after either. Most would normally do a 20-25 minute effort on course the day before so they may be inclined to suit up for shorttrack instead of doing a hotlap of the course.

Saturday
1000 - Open Womens race (60mins)
1115 - Open Mens race (90mins)
1300 - Track open for practice
1400 - Open Womens shortrack
1430 - Open Mens shortrack

Sunday
1000 - U17/U19 Men XCO
1200 - All Women XCO
1400 - Elite/U23 Men XCO

Last edited:

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
Sounds Good

I had to check results on that one, you had me confused. See, you're referring to me here and I didn't do every round.

I digress. I assume the change of categories is to try and bring XCO racing in Oz inline with the Euro model which is so popular. Why then wouldn't we just copy the Euro model? I've got no concrete data but I reckon it's a pretty safe bet that the majority of people that would want to watch XCO racing also want to race it. The answer is obvious, race the proposed categories of U17/U19/U23/Elite on SUNDAY, have an open Women's and open Men's race on the Saturday.

No series points for the Saturday race, just the opportunity for people to race against themselves, their mates, dudes of the same ability and compare lap times to the fast guys the next day. With only two categories it leaves room for a practice session so the guys racing Sunday who work fulltime and only arrive Friday night/Saturday to get a look at the track before racing. It also opens up the opportunity to make course changes for the Sunday races to include some harder tech sections.

If shortrack needs to be fit in somewhere just run it Open Womens, Open Mens during the afternoon on Saturday. The top Elite riders may not ride it as it's prior to the XCO, but lets face it. They're not gonna ride it at 8am the day after either. Most would normally do a 20-25 minute effort on course the day before so they may be inclined to suit up for shorttrack instead of doing a hotlap of the course.

Saturday

Sunday
1000 - U17/U19 Men XCO
1200 - All Women XCO
1400 - Elite/U23 Men XCO
Sounds good to me - lets lock it in..

akashra

Eats Squid
Grover, did I give you more credit than I should have? Off the top of my head I thought you won the series despite missing Illinbah, but if I got that wrong and Sean won, then I'll revoke that praise I was implying being thrown your way :D

Also, like the idea you've said here. Two problems though - certain Elite Int'l riders have told me that Europe have decided XCO is to be killed off, instead opting for longer lap format events (I don't know what the orgs. are smoking there if true). Also, as you said, putting Elite XCC (which arguably is a shits and giggles event in the eyes of many) before XCO (in time order), fatiguing riders, might not go down well especially with coaches who insist their riders rest up etc etc.
One of the bits of feedback I got from the Under 19s (of all people!), at Glenorchy, was the idea of splitting U19s and Open points in the XCC, to encourage more open men participation - ie, bigger fields, better racing (for them and us). I reckon it's a top idea - since the U19s typically win the Open XCC anyway, so there's not a lot of sandbagging going on in Open XCC. Shame we've instead gone the complete opposite :(

But otherwise yes, I agree.

bigev

Likes Bikes
What? At the same time as Downhill? Where are you going to get all the marshals and the extra timing guys?
They are going to need that anyway with the format that is ready in place. Sunday has some kind of enduro happening at the same time as DH.

bigev

Likes Bikes
Saturday

Sunday
1000 - U17/U19 Men XCO
1200 - All Women XCO
1400 - Elite/U23 Men XCO
I can see where your coming from here but if the idea is to give everyone the chance to race XCO what was wrong with the original format? I think the point that you are missing is that MTBA's underlying reason (in my opinion) is not to reduce the number of XCO classes but to cash in on the punter based enduro market. A valid goal in itself but it should be separated from the National Series and not done at the expense of all other non-elite riders who still want a serious XCO race.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
There were alot of problems witht he old format. I was racing U19s and was waiting till 3pm, I think, to race. By that stage in the day your starting to get a bit tired and don't really feel like racing. Also to fit in all catagorys they hade several races on at once, which was very frustrating.

I think Grovers suggestion is a very good one. However, I do feel that we should be including masters and super masters. I think catagorys should be based on your limitations due to age and thats all. There should be some support events, but they shouldn't be getting in the way of the National Series.

bigev

Likes Bikes
There were alot of problems witht he old format. I was racing U19s and was waiting till 3pm, I think, to race. By that stage in the day your starting to get a bit tired and don't really feel like racing. Also to fit in all catagorys they hade several races on at once, which was very frustrating.
I can appreciate the late starting time concern but if you look at the schedule for the new series format U19 and U17 still race at 2-30 anyway.

I think Grovers suggestion is a very good one. However, I do feel that we should be including masters and super masters. I think catagorys should be based on your limitations due to age and thats all. There should be some support events, but they shouldn't be getting in the way of the National Series.
Im in total agreement.

akashra

Eats Squid
I just felt it might be necessary to point out that while we all like some of the ideas being thrown around here, don't expect anything to come of it - the decision has been made long ago and the changes to XCO/XCC and addition of XCE are happening whether we like it or not.

bigev

Likes Bikes
I just felt it might be necessary to point out that while we all like some of the ideas being thrown around here, don't expect anything to come of it - the decision has been made long ago and the changes to XCO/XCC and addition of XCE are happening whether we like it or not.
Whether anyone actually turns up to race or not is another thing.

...jim

skanky media ho
Another reason not to do it that way is that running the Elite class XCO at the same time as the Elite DH will see only one go at media. Run 'em on Saturday and Sunday and you'll get two bites at the cherry.

Timbers

Likes Dirt
So when the organisers of the national series actually catch up with the rest of the planet where will they fit in Super D? :D