'09 Reign X0 vs '09 Reign X1 vs Specialized Enduro SL Comp vs other All-Mountain

st.nick

Squid
Hey all,

Tax time= New bike time!! :)

I'm looking for something all-mountain, capable, tough, dependable and bombproof.
I ride lots of uphill, but only so I can ride lots of downhill!!

I don't ride super-hard, but I'd still like something with plenty of travel to tackle big rocks and lots of jumps and ruts, but light enough to ride uphill to get there in the first place.

I'm very keen on the '09 Reign X models... mainly coz the bash-guard/rear shock mount looks sexy as hell!!

I'm also partial to the Specialized Enduro, as my housemate has an '06 model, and its an amazing looking, capable bike.

An '09 Reign X0 is available new for about $3.5k (AUD), and an X1 is about $2.5k. Are the differences between the 2 models worthy of an additional $1k outlay?

For those who aren't completely familiar... here are the specs:

Reign X0- http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/mountain/2337/32064/

Reign X1- http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/mountain/2337/32065/

Enduro SL Comp- http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=39200

Am I likely to use 170mm travel??
Can I drop the front forks on the Reigns for going uphill??
Is the bottom bracket height on the Reign really that much of a problem when pedalling on rocky terrain??

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated!! :)

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
1. This isn't a really a fair comparison. The Specialized Enduro is much lighter bike that will pedal faster uphill but be far less capable downhill. It's got a 32 series fork which is a noodle compared with the 36. You should be looking at an SX Trail to compare with the Reign X.
2. The Reign X 1 is a coil sprung bike which is a very capable freeride machine that will take whatever you dish out on the downhill sections but will be hard work up the hills because although coil sprung bikes are more compliant and reliable than air sprung versions, they are heavier.
3. The Reign X 0 is the same bike with air suspension, so because it's lighter it's going to be easier to ride as an All Mountain bike. It also has a better wheelset and a Joplin seatpost which also helps you to climb hills easier.
4. Are you going to use 170mm of travel? Who knows - let us know when you ride one.
5. No you can't lower the fork on the Reign bikes.
6. The bottom bracket height is average for this type of bike and shouldn't be a problem.
7. The decision is yours to make.

actionchris

Likes Dirt
As above

From what you descibed the X1 would be better. Coil suspension, no fancy seatpost, reliable and cheap to replace drivetrain and 1k cheaper which could be used to upgrade the bike as you see fit.

I have the X0 and hit the pedals when i first got it but now i never do.

There is a 2010 reign X0 in the trading area you should check out

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Unfortunately that era Enduro does not have the downhill shredding ability of the pre-06 or 2010+ ones, they are a Stumpjumper on stilts frankly. The 2010 one is freaking ridiculously amazing however, but presumably out of your pricerange if '09s are what you're looking at, and the pre '06 one doesn't have the climbability of either later version.

Go the Reign, Specialized didn't get the whole game together until 2010 (and did they what, the 2010 enduro is just mind altering in capability).

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have owned an 08 X0 and now have an 09 X1.
If you want more of an XC bike, then go the X0. i found the x0 rear air shock a pain in the ass to try and set up. it was either too stiff and didnt bottom out, or it was reasonably plush/raked out and did blow through its travel. it also sagged too much set up like this, an i bashed cranks and pedals everywhere.
VERY annoying to set up.
X1- awesome!! i love it to bits and reccomend them to everyone. you can get one through
http://cycologybicycles.com.au/ in tuggerah for 2k flat.
the standard fit out is awesome. i ride mine on all the XC tracks, and then hit some pretty aggressive all mountain tracks with 1-2ft drops and big rocky technical lines.
the coil shock/fork just works. no pissing about, just set your sag front and rear, and go.
i find the bike pedals bloody well for what it is. i ride with guys on enduros/stupys/epics/nomads, and they are quicker up long grinding hills, but there is nothing in it in the singletrack.
downhill- the bike owns.

in saying all that- the 2010 Enduro is a wicked bike, but heaps more expensive than the Reign. If money wasnt an option i would have a red hot look at one of the them.

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
Enduro SL!!!

To Reign or to Enduro. That was my dilemma initially. Tried both bikes and Specialized won hands down even though the Reing was substantially cheaper than the Enduro. Just felt stiffer, more nimble and stronger. On the E150 fork you can also decrease travel form 150 to 110.

The travel is important but I think Geo is better to look into.

BTW, Selling my SL if interested :D

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?208007-2008-Specialized-Enduro-SL

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Indeed... I'm just concerned about the huge suspension on the Reign if I can't knock some travel out for going uphill.
Read what mr636 says above again! You can pedal a reign x uphill if you're fit and you can do it without adjustable travel if you develop your riding skill. If you insist on lowering the fork and your budget allows it you'd have to fit a Fox 36 Talas adjustable fork.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Do you really need 6+ inches of travel? And again - really, are you sure?

I used to think I needed and couldn't ride certain things without an "AM/FR" bike - so I got one - they're OK but really aren't all they're made up to be unless you're really pushing the limits.

Marketing is such a marvelous thing. Without it, many, many companies would sell nowhere near as many bikes.

I'd personally recommend thinking about the Blur LT from Santa Cruz.
It's only a 140mm front and rear bike (can handle 160mm on front) but is so far ahead of what you'd think it capable of judging just by it's suspension figures. As you said you're fond of your mates Enduro: I thought this might fit the bill as well as it's quite an upright seating position.

To be honest I could not tell the difference (steering angle was a little taller but no less able) between my Norco Six (166 rear and 180 front) and a Blur LT alloy in terms of what I could and couldn't ride.
The Norco was definitely way more of a pain up hills and when pedaling but when the hill turned downwards I felt no more confident or able upon it.

I guess this is a testament that while you may have more travel, is it really that more useable?

mykryk

Likes Dirt
Reign xo 2010

I have been looking for a similar style bike to you, i went with the 2010 reign xo, haven't picked it up yet but it ticked all the boxes and some. Light enough to ride xc, DHX air 5 almost locks out with pro-pedal lever for climbing, has talas's on the front to drop front suspension. Tough enough to handle any freeriding i'll through at it...Can't wait till next weekend when I blood the sucker.
I think it's the perfect balance between an enduro and a SX.
Good luck.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Indeed... I'm just concerned about the huge suspension on the Reign if I can't knock some travel out for going uphill.
Read what mr636 says above again! You can pedal a reign x uphill if you're fit and you can do it without adjustable travel if you develop your riding skill. If you insist on lowering the fork and your budget allows it you'd have to fit a Fox 36 Talas adjustable fork.
The TALAS fork is a great addition to the Enduro... I have a 07 SWorks enduro built up with a 36 TALAS, and use the travel adjustment all the time. Going up,100mm, going down,160mm,the 130mm setting is a bit redundant, but used none the less.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=177269&d=1277196321
Great bikes.... I would hate to pay retail though !

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Where are you riding, how long have you been riding?

EDIT: As I said earlier, I doubt you really need more than the Blur LT.
You wont be able to pedal to the top as good on a Reign, debatable if you'll descend any better either.

Don't buy the hype that if you're riding and hitting jumps, ruts, and roots etc that you need a 6+ inch bike. The reality is there's probably very, very little in terms of trails in Australia specifically designed for those bikes.
I'm not saying you wont 'use' all the travel on the forks or shock, but you don't necessarily "need" that travel so to speak.

So, you're planning on hitting some drops eh? Here are some pictures I found on the MTBR forums of people's personal bikes, if you think you'll be doing more than this then, by all means, you may actually "need" a longer travel rig. The two pictures in the same location are just two different angles of a 10ft drop, the other just a few feet off a log.

If you still think a 140mm travel bike (front/back) can't ride the big stuff then think again. Plus you can put a 36 on there to slacken up the head angle a bit if you think it's too steep. Remember as I said though, I bet it'd be very similar to your mates Enduro..

Attachments

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm waiting for this - 2011 Enduro Evo.

I came close to buying a 2010 reignX - until I read about the high incidence of lower links snapping, with no apparent fix yet. Note this is specific to the 2010.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=617291
For your sake, I hope it comes to Aus !!

Re :Giant lower link.On MTBR, there is a thread devoted to just that. And it seems like they snap when climbing, not descending ??? Giant are apparently redesigning it now.

Edit. You posted the link to that thread.. Duhhhh

Last edited:

mykryk

Likes Dirt
For your sake, I hope it comes to Aus !!

Re :Giant lower link.On MTBR, there is a thread devoted to just that. And it seems like they snap when climbing, not descending ??? Giant are apparently redesigning it now.

Edit. You posted the link to that thread.. Duhhhh
There's only 17 cases of snapped links on the thread, I know it's still 17, but i'm taking the risk. As a percentage of reign x's around i'll play those odds. Giant are quick to replace it under warranty and the bike is just to awesome to not have one. I think it could just be a bad batch, They seem to have gotten it right on the trance, reign and glory and they all share the same design.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's only 17 cases of snapped links on the thread, I know it's still 17, but i'm taking the risk. As a percentage of reign x's around i'll play those odds. Giant are quick to replace it under warranty and the bike is just to awesome to not have one. I think it could just be a bad batch, They seem to have gotten it right on the trance, reign and glory and they all share the same design.
Alot of the time, we (general public) will accept a part/device breaking.. It comes down to the factory backing it up with after sales support, and it seems like Giant are doing that. NOW..

I just remeber when the VT's came out (04 ?), bought one, great bike,after 2 years, a crack developed under the headtube, took it to the Local Giant shop where I bought it( and several other bikes), and they said it was only a 1yr warranty with the bike !!! When the Trance/anthem/reign range came out, they all had/have a lifetime warranty with the frame !

I was like WTF !!!

It still hasn't stopped me buying their product.

I bought a Trance !

rant over.....

Last edited:

mykryk

Likes Dirt
2010 reign

I just got back from my first ride on the 2010 reign X, it is AWESOME. I would strongly suggest you include it in your list of bikes. The improvement on the 09 design is huge, the thing is so fast on the single track, climbs like a mountain goat and desends like a DH bike and is light as fuck. I am so blow away with this bike.
As for the braking links, the only bike sold this year from the local Giant dealer that has broken a link is a reign... and there 90 bucks anyway if you go second hand.