1 1/4" Stem

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I have recently bought a new Reign and due to fork problems and multiple f*ckups on the shops part i was promised a new stem. So im looking for a good 50mm or 70mm (pref 50mm) stem with a 1 1/4" clamp for giants silly steerer, and seeing as though I wont be paying the bill all prices are in range. Throw me some!

mint355

Likes Dirt
Good luck, never seen one other than a giant contact in 11/4 best bet would be get a 11/8 stem and take it to a machinist shop and have em machine it out 1/8 of a bees di@k

0psi

Eats Squid
70mm or below you have the option of Giant and possibly, Giant.

There are a few companies doing a 1 1/4" stem (Ritchey, Syntace and FSA apparently have one) but they are aimed at the roadie market so they are usually 80mm+

Also, Giant are 'tards.

MARKL

Eats Squid
As above it is an incredibly effing stupid 'standard' that achieves something less than nothing useful...no point getting your hopes up you will be offered a choice of a Giant stem or a...stem from Giant...

rone

Eats Squid
It's just a not very cleverly disguised ploy to make it more difficult to buy a Giant as a donor bike to swap all the componentry onto something good. They recon it's about increased stiffness, but that's been covered by normal tapered steerers. Retarded.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It's not solely Giant's fault.....

Blame the fork manufacturers too. No point having a stem with a big hole if there are no forks to clamp it to.

choiboi

Likes Dirt
yep I bought a tapered fork not realising that giant overdrive2 forks are 1 1/4 to 1 1/2... annoying.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

0psi

Eats Squid
It's just a not very cleverly disguised ploy to make it more difficult to buy a Giant as a donor bike to swap all the componentry onto something good.
A very poor ploy indeed as Over(lyshit)drive forks fit in a normal tapered frame, it's just headset that changes.

And yup, I don't know of anyone that's noticed an increase in stiffness with Giant's new forks. Personally I think they just made them different purely for the sake of being different, either that or some bloke in marketing thought it was a marketable idea.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I don't really have a problem with it considering I didn't plan on chopping and changing parts, I'm just not really a fan of a 90mm stem on tetchy descents, and when I'm offered a new one I'm not really gonna pass it up. I guess if I can't find a stem though I can always pick out some other expensive looking piece of kit from the shop

Blackheath

Likes Bikes
Pick out a set of new forks. I do not know any one who likes a long stem when going down hills on single track. Hopefully giant have got some options in lengths for you mate. Please keep us up dated.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I don't really have a problem with it considering I didn't plan on chopping and changing parts, I'm just not really a fan of a 90mm stem on tetchy descents, and when I'm offered a new one I'm not really gonna pass it up. I guess if I can't find a stem though I can always pick out some other expensive looking piece of kit from the shop
The shop is going to give you a shorter Giant stem. Not let you pick anything you want from the store. Grow up.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
The shop is going to give you a shorter Giant stem. Not let you pick anything you want from the store. Grow up.
No, actually they told me to email through the stem I want if I can find one and they will order it infor me and chuck it on when they finish fucking around with my bike.

Shredden

Knows his goats
It's just a not very cleverly disguised ploy to make it more difficult to buy a Giant as a donor bike to swap all the componentry onto something good. They recon it's about increased stiffness, but that's been covered by normal tapered steerers. Retarded.
Wouldnt that make them sell less bikes, rather than more?

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Shitttt turns out the Reign 2 2013 doesn't have a 1 1/4" steerer.....

Wish I realised before my stem arrived...

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Thats harsh, after asking around some other places I've heard that chunked stems are the way to go and i've had the shop order me one already :D