1.5 steerers. Where to now?

Cruz

Likes Dirt
I read that Manitou are only selling 1 model of 1.5 steerer fork for 05, the Sherman Breakout Plus.
Does this mean that the new standard isn't relevant anymore?
Where does that leave all the buyers of frames that had to have the 1.5 steerer tube?
Oh well, you can always retrofit the 1 1/8 headsets to keep the bikes running.

Or is this just the only model they are selling in OZ?

Anyone know? :?:

Have to love progression. :!:

I only called it a standard as that is what Manitou call it themselves.

http://www.onepointfivestandard.com/faqs.htm

Disco

Likes Dirt
i dont think you could actually call it STANDARD... more of a decent idea Manitou released which was embraced by some manufacturers (FSA, Raceface, Rocky Mountain, Cannondale) but the rest of the fork manufacturers refused to accept?? But for long travel SC Forks 1.5 should be made standard

Little Mike

S.

ex offender
Cruz said:
I read that Manitou are only selling 1 model of 1.5 steerer fork for 05, the Sherman Breakout Plus.
Does this mean that the new standard isn't relevant anymore?
Where does that leave all the buyers of frames that had to have the 1.5 steerer tube?
Oh well, you can always retrofit the 1 1/8 headsets to keep the bikes running.

Or is this just the only model they are selling in OZ?

Anyone know? :?:

Have to love progression. :!:
Frame builders are gradually accepting 1.5 headtubes (which is great, because it's heaps better as far as frames go). However, until Giant, Kona, Norco etc adopt it, I don't think there's going to be a massive market for them, and as such there won't be many forks to suit said frames.

Buying a 1.5'd frame doesn't leave anyone anywhere; 1.125 headsets and forks are easily retrofittable anyway.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Just read this. Does this make sense to everyone?

http://www.onepointfivestandard.com/faqs.htm

"Can I fit a 1-1/8” fork to a frame built to the OnePointFive system?

The first headsets available will be designed specifically for OnePointFive compatible forks and head tubes. Shortly following, expect to see modified headsets that will interface OnePointFive head tubes and 1-1/8" forks. This "conversion" or adaptation should only be considered for dual clamp forks since they can take the higher loads the OnePointFive system is capable of handling. It is NOT recommended that any 1 1/8" single crown forks are adapted to frames utilizing the OnePointFive system. "

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
well thats interesting. Everyone does it.

though that site hasnt been updated in a long time.

dread pirate

Likes Bikes
great, the day after I pick up a 1.5 frame, it looks like it will go the way of Beta video -- better technology killed by marketing. d'oh

S.

ex offender
dread pirate said:
great, the day after I pick up a 1.5 frame, it looks like it will go the way of Beta video -- better technology killed by marketing. d'oh
I doubt it. There's way too many really stupid things which have survived in mtbing (eg Shimano's corporate policies and Marzocchi's marketing department :p) such as 24/30mm axles on forks, wack sized rear hubs/spacing etc, for something as good and backwards-compatible as 1.5 to disappear. I don't know if 1.5 forks will ever really take off, but the benefits to the frame are huge. A lot of the high-end manufacturers have taken up building 1.5'd bikes (Intense, SC have had a couple of 1.5 proto VP-frees apparently, Turner, etc etc) and if history is anything to go buy, the bigger mass-market companies will follow soon enough.