1 x 10 conversion, What length derailleur

nauticatarcher

Likes Bikes
Doing a 1 x 10 conversion, 11-42 Cassette, can I get away with short cage derailleur or will I need medium, will be SRAM x9 probably, anybody getting away with shortcage with 42tooth, I think guidelines are short cage 30 tooth difference so 11-42 is 31 tooth

moorey

call me Mia
I think the middy, and then only with a rad cage, or a goat link. The shorty doesn't have the capacity to handle that many teeth, even if it could reach up to the 42 without fouling.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Doing a 1 x 10 conversion, 11-42 Cassette, can I get away with short cage derailleur or will I need medium, will be SRAM x9 probably, anybody getting away with shortcage with 42tooth, I think guidelines are short cage 30 tooth difference so 11-42 is 31 tooth

I think the middy, and then only with a rad cage, or a goat link. The shorty doesn't have the capacity to handle that many teeth, even if it could reach up to the 42 without fouling.
Mid cage X9 will be required.

The Rad Cage and Goat Link are only for shimano derailleurs, the SRAM are capable of coping with the 42t just fine as is.