1 x 10 drive train

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
I am considering changing my current set up to a 1 x 10 drive train. I have a Singular Swift with White industries Single speed Crank and BB (square taper), I am thinking I will need a Chain guide, Casette 11- 36, Right hand shifter, chain, I am a little unsure what I will need in relation to rear mec... Long cage, shadow etc. Does it matter if the cassete has been optimised for use with a 2 x 10 or 3 x10. Sorry for the novice questions I normally ride single speed.

T-Rex

Template denier
If it's a single speed, just make sure the rear hub can take a cassette.

11-36 is exactly what you want for 1 x 10. And a 34 tooth chain ring will probably be just right for a hard core ex single speeder.

You could also get yourself a short cage derailleur, but medium or long cage will also work fine.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running 1x10 on my hardtail for a year now with a 36 up front. I rarely use the granny and while I don't do any monster climbs I think 34 might be a little low unless you want to climb a wall. Both sram and shimano will tell you that you must use the correct bits with the correct pieces, but its mostly interchangable. I run an 11-34 XT cassette and shimano chain with X7 shifter and medium cage derailier. I couldn't get a short cage at the time as it was too new and they didnt exist yet.

unless chainless is your thing, you will need a chain guide. the E13 cross country (whatever its called) will be sufficient.

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
I live in Adelaide and mostly ride to the trails so I was thinking 34 up front and 11 -36 out back would be good as there is heaps of climbing out my way.
I'v been researching the 1x10 set up and it looks to cove just about all the gear ranges that I need. THanks for the advice guys.

davidxw

Likes Bikes
I'm a singlespeeder who converted an older geared bike to 1 x 9. I use a 32 tooth widgit (http://widgit.com.au/) up front, 11-34 out the back. Compared to my SSes this is plenty low for me.

The widgit works well - it's more expensive than a chain guide, but I needed a new chainring anyway so the cost difference didn't amount to that much.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
I've been considering a Widgit as well, what's it perform like?

Does anyone running 1x10 get any cross-chaining problems on the big and little cogs on the cassette?

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
I run a 32 Widgit and an 36/11 10 speed cassette. I am a big fan of the Widgit for it's simplicity and performance. I have yet to drop a chain in over 12 months use in typical all mountain riding on my 6 inch dually. It doesn't like taking big hits though, so bashing it onto rocks, logs etc and it won't last but it is not designed for that. Although, it does have a better clearance than most types of singles. If you are doing more DH orientated riding I would recommend a bash guard type of single. As for chain line, I had a bit of trouble initially getting to run smoothly in the 11t but utilizing spacers now runs a treat. I almost never use the 11t or the 13t anyway with the trails we typically ride.

Last edited:

davidxw

Likes Bikes
The only problem I had with setting up my widget was resolved by removing the Powerlink I had on the chain. Before I did this the chain would occasionally ride up on the outer chain guide when in a low gear - as far as I can tell the tiny extra bit of pin that sticks out of the Powerlink was initiating this.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue, so it may been just my setup or my widgit. It's all good now though.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon my widgit is great, only time I've had any trouble was some chain suck in the bad conditions at last years Dirt Works 100. A couple of deep puddles (almost BB deep), some ongoing mud sections and the old sandstone grinding paste. Stopped at the halfway point to re-lube and all was good again.
At extreme of gears initially id did seem to rub a little on the chain guides, but that has gone away.

BLUMAN

Likes Bikes
I've run a 30T 11-34 for about a year now. My widgit is stuffed the guides are all bent and so is the ring, no noticable wear on the ring though. but I am now switching to a MRP G2 SL mini with a 32T renthal ring (bash guard recommended in my locals), before the bent widgit ring causes me more problems. I have also heard of single speeders bending the widgit ring when putting the power down.

Chain suck in a muddy conditions is common and if its long grass or leafy plus mud, the grass and leaves pack inside the guide resulting in dropping the chain. From the initial installation I needed to bend the guides out a bit to stop chain rub.

Its a shame really, cause I like the widgit for its simplicity in design and function, but it simply still needs a bit of design tweaking.

This ring is simply not up to taking the hits of some aggressive trail/AM riding. I see they now offer a bash guard as well, which may help to prolong the life preventing the damage that I have inflected on both the chainring and the guides.

Even thought its a bit exy.. I would recommend the widgit if you want to test out if 1x? is for you or not, due to simplicity and set & forget setup.

I also have a spare set of cranks with a tripple ring ready to go in my garage, just incase for those marathon events, but have never needed to use it yet.

On average the 30T ring will resulting about 5-10 extra cadence for the same speed as a 32T ring.

Pete J

loves his dog
My 1x9 setup consists of a 36t front sprocket, 11-32 cassette, LS-1 chainguide and a long cage XT derailleur.
Everything is in need of replacing and i'm thinking of changing it up a bit.
I'll probably get a short cage derailleur, 11-34 cassette and maybe even a 38t front sprocket.
This past winter i have found myself wanting a lower gear whilst trying to ride through the snow.
The short cage should cope with a 38t sprocket and 11-34 cassette, right?

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run a 32 Widgit and an 36/11 10 speed cassette. I am a big fan of the Widgit for it's simplicity and performance. I have yet to drop a chain in over 12 months use in typical all mountain riding on my 6 inch dually. It doesn't like taking big hits though, so bashing it onto rocks, logs etc and it won't last but it is not designed for that. Although, it does have a better clearance than most types of singles. If you are doing more DH orientated riding I would recommend a bash guard type of single. As for chain line, I had a bit of trouble initially getting to run smoothly in the 11t but utilizing spacers now runs a treat. I almost never use the 11t or the 13t anyway with the trails we typically ride.
+ 1 .........