1 x 11 for commuter?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm moving to 1x11 on my trail bike, and was wondering how it would go on my commuter?

Can someone with more brains than me tell me how the ratios would compare with my 44t front and 11-36t rear? I do run a middle ring (32) also, but use it very rarely. I spend most of my commutes in the bottom three cogs at the rear and on the 44 at the front.

The biggest ring I can run on the X01 is 38t and the smallest on the cassette is 10, so mostly interested in how much top end I'd give up.

Thanks.

PS, the bike is currently 26 inch but moving to 650b real soon, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
I don't think it would work, you just won't have the range. I regularly spin out my 39x11 on the road with big nobbie tyres at 28psi.

Edit: Assuming a cadence of 90 and a 26x2.25 tyre-
39X11 will do about 40.5
38x10 will do about 43.4
44x11 will do about 45.7

44x16= 31.4
38x16= 27.1
39x16= 27.8

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think it would work, you just won't have the range. I regularly spin out my 39x11 on the road with big nobbie tyres at 28psi.
Yeah, this is what I'm worried about.

Might be crazy, but what about running my xtr cranks with a 40 or 42t chainring setup as a single with the 11 spd rear? This would still give me better than 1-1 which is waaay more than I need for any of my climbs. Would need a full length chain I guess?

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
I think it's more trouble than it's worth, most of the benefits of a 1x drivetrain come when used on dirt.

2 of the major downsides going 1x on the road are limited range and bigger gaps between cogs meaning you can't control your cadence as much. I'd keep your double on the commuter and swap the 10 speed cassette to something like an 11-26.

Edit again: Keep your double but swap the big ring to a touring style ring, pretty sure you can get a 46t or 48t

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
really you can use any crank you like, you just lose the narrow-wide tooth profile. you can always opt for NW ring to suit the XTR, but the largest i know of is 36/38T available so in the same boat as X*1.