10 Year Old Bontrager - Resurrected!

oldbean

NSWMTB
Well, I finally got around to fitting some new gear to my trusty XC bike, a 1998 Bontrager Privateer.

Original 1998 Bontrager Catalogue page

Original Build up with RST forks, Flite seat and Odyssey platforms.

First bought from Clarence Street Cyclery in December 1997, it was my only bike at the time and I rode it everywhere: to uni, DH racing, at the BMX track, around the bush of the Hills district. It was awesome.

Then came 4X and DH bikes and the Bonty got used less and less. It's parts were often whatever old parts got pulled off other bikes. Recently it's been sporting slicks more often than knobbly’s and used mainly for commuting.

Beaten up commuter style, circa 2003.

But now I want my riding to be a bit more well rounded so some more XC/trail rides are in order, and I thought the Bonty would be worth upgrading with a few new parts. And what better parts to put on there than the modern Bontrager parts! As the original headset top cap says, “Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick Two.”

At the top of Mt. Stromlo, APEC Day, 2007

Spec:
Frame: 1998 Bontrager Privateer
Fork: Manitou Black Elite
Headset: Token Notch AA
Stem: Bontrager Race X Lite, 100mm
Handlebar: Bontrager Race X Lite carbon riser
Grips: Bontrager Earl Lock-On
Seatpost: Bontrager Comp (Original! Only because the frame is 27.0 and the new posts only come in 27.2)
Seat: Bontrager Race Lite
Brakes Levers: Avid SD3
Brake Calipers: Shimano Deore XT V’s
Bottom Bracket: Truvative
Cranks: Bontrager Race X Lite carbon
Chain Rings; Truvative (42-32-22)
Shifters: SRAM X.9 triggers
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
Cassette: SRAM PG-980
Chain: SRAM PC-911
Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty
QR’s: Bontrager Ti
Hubs: Bontrager Race Modified
Spokes: DT Double butted
Rims: Bontrager Race Modified
Tubes: Bontrager Race X Lite
Tires: Bontrager Jones ACX
Extras: Bontrager Race Lite bottle cage

It doesn’t have disc tabs, so I’m restricted to V-brakes in the rear, and the wheels I sourced were a non-disc pair so I’m sticking to V-brakes on the front too. I think it’s all sorted now bar the forks. Not sure yet which way to go: SID’s? as they have brake bosses and would suit the XC nature of the bike, or something else and upgrade to a Disc front wheel and cable disc brake. But that’s academic at this stage as I’ve spent all my money…for now.

First ride was on APEC Friday down in Canberra. Stromlo in the morning was fantastic. First time riding the XC trails there and both the Bonty and the trails were awesome. Sure the back end skittered a bit over some of the rocky sections, but it still handles great and powers up the hills too. The steel frame has a great balance between stiffness and vibration absorption. Friday afternoon and we were off to lunch and then Majura pines. In the rain. Mmm…V-brakes. One set of pads later and I was taking it pretty easy around the off-camber downhill corners in the slippery mud with just a front brake. Still good though.

So that’s it from me about my Bonty. Haven’t weighed it yet, and I know I haven’t got many photos on here, but I’ll get back to it soon. Will let you know when I’ve updated it.

‘til then, Happy Trails!

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Its beautiful James! I love it!

SIDs would be great on this...although having used SIDs and Blacks, the Blacks are significanly less noodle-like. Personally, if your not racing specifically, Rebas with V-brake bosses would probably be a a little better for XC/trail duties. Little beefier without too much weight sacrifice. Still, SIDs are fantastic...and light!

You could easily send this frame off to Grip Sport and have some disc tabs welded onto the rear but as you said, you have spent your money for now. Gosh! You can go wild cant ya?!

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Rebas with V-brake bosses would probably be a a little better for XC/trail duties. Little beefier without too much weight sacrifice.
+1 for the above option, would suit the bike perfectly.

Awesome rig, beautiful riding frames those Bontys.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Very nice bike!

I doubt there would be many frames still racking up the km's 10 years after their production.

str33t l3gal

Likes Bikes
Thats really nice i love it when i see old school bikes that have been taken care of and look really clean!!!! Nice spec too. Keep it up!

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks awesome. Really how you have it now, if you didn't know what it was, you could say it was a 2007 XC bike, maybe 2005 XC bike, but still looks really good.

I am sure it rides pretty well too, have fun. :D

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seatpost: Bontrager Comp (Original! Only because the frame is 27.0 and the new posts only come in 27.2)
27.0 was a fairly common size once and Thomson make a 27.0 straight post, if you feel the need to upgrade it. Alternatively you may be able to find an old XTR post in 27.0 if you are prepared to look for one.

Nice bike all the same :)

oldbean

NSWMTB
27.0 was a fairly common size once and Thomson make a 27.0 straight post, if you feel the need to upgrade it. Alternatively you may be able to find an old XTR post in 27.0 if you are prepared to look for one.

Nice bike all the same :)
Yeah, I thought of the Thomson as an (expensive) option. Maybe in the near future, when I get new forks too! ;-) I did mean with my comment that it's the new Bontrager posts that come only in 27.2 (and 31.6 BTW), not that all new posts were only available in 27.2.

And Thanks! I like it.