1080p and Blu-Ray Help!!!

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
Im going out to buy a PS3 on the weekeend mainly because of its Blu-Ray and 1080p capabilities. I currently have a Standard-Def tv and i am looking into buying a new one. (Its gonna be very expensive), and i just wanted to know if you need a TV with 1080p capabillites to view 1080 picture, or considering the PS3 has 1080p already built-in to it, the movie will come out 1080 on a HD-TV or Standard-Def TV.

Any help would be appriciated, and considering im not to good on tv's ect, please add as much info as you want.

Last edited:

mongoosedh

Banned
Reasons for buying the PS3: None.

Reasons for buying the 360: Does blue ray as well (add on), your TV will downgrade the quality anyway so whats the point, from my knowledge there is no game that is made specifically for PS3 so no point from a games point of view, better controller, better online lobby system, looks better (IMO), has remote console controlling (turning it on and off remotely(does PS3 have this?)) and finaly, finaly the Xbox is wayyy cheaper.

Do yourself a favour, buy the 360. :)

RampRider7

Likes Dirt

Reasons for buying the 360: Does blue ray as well (add on), your TV will downgrade the quality anyway so whats the point, from my knowledge there is no game that is made specifically for PS3 so no point from a games point of view, better controller, better online lobby system, looks better (IMO), has remote console controlling (turning it on and off remotely(does PS3 have this?)) and finaly, finaly the Xbox is wayyy cheaper.

Do yourself a favour, buy the 360. :)
Umm this thread wasnt a "should i get a ps3 or an xbox?!?!?!" thread was it.
Gran turismo prolouge was made only for ps3 and why buy blu-ray add on when you could just buy a console with it. And what do you mean "whats the point" because it would do the same on an xbox.;)

P.S If the xbox is cheaper doesnt that mean it has less stuff then the ps3?:p
END RANT

Mammy

Likes Dirt
If multimedia, media centre, blah blah blah is your priority, go with PS3.
Its interface is disgustingly easy to navigate and very well designed.

But if gaming is of equal or greater priority, go the 360. With the exception of a few exclusive titles, you cannot beat the range of titles and its online gaming capacity is shit-awesome.

projectsplat

The film guy
If multimedia, media centre, blah blah blah is your priority, go with PS3.
Its interface is disgustingly easy to navigate and very well designed.

But if gaming is of equal or greater priority, go the 360. With the exception of a few exclusive titles, you cannot beat the range of titles and its online gaming capacity is shit-awesome.
he doesn't want a f#$king xbox.

see?

to answer your question RampBloke, ideally, you should be looking for a telly that will actually output what the marketing people call "Full HD".

Most HD tellys on the market will accept a HD signal (1080p), but the set itself is only capable of a lower resolution, and as such, will crush the signal down to something it can display. This process generally makes you image look slightly more craptacular than most people would like.

If you can pony up the extra bucks, get something that will display 1920x1080 natively, (Full HD) as it will give you the best pixel for pixel viewing quality (even if it is a smaller screen).

Cheers

Al

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Don't be a narrow-minded, presumptious git.
If the defining parameters for choosing a PS3 is "BlueRay and 1080p" then an XBox is now also an option.
Let me know if I can articulate this a little clearer.

projectsplat

The film guy
Im going out to buy a PS3 on the weekeend.
Gran turismo prolouge was made only for ps3....
Don't be a narrow-minded, presumptious git.
If the defining parameters for choosing a PS3 is "BlueRay and 1080p" then an XBox is now also an option.
Let me know if I can articulate this a little clearer.
no sir, I don't think I am being narrowminded. I am just answering the question he actually asked.

the defining parameters were revealed as BlueRay, 1080p and Gran Tourismo Prologue, which, when I last checked is not available for xbox.

so why don't you turn that withering gaze of yours back on your own illconsidered comments, and let this thread get back on topic.

On Topic: for good value in the HD Telly stakes, check out Samsung and LG. They both make very good sets that are great value for the money. Be wary though, there are a lot that are marked HD which are still the older stock, and as such do not display the full resolution. If in doubt, ask the sales person, or check the tech specs - or feel free to drop a note back in this thread and I will let you know pretty quickly.

Cheers

Al

projectsplat

The film guy
Unless you want to play Gran Tourismo Prologue / GT5.

I should out myself here. I am pooling cash for a PS3, GT5 and a Logitech G25 racing wheel. We are building a racing seat setup, with Momo racing seat so that we can hook it all up to my mates 60" LG Plasma.

That is my reason for buying a PS3....

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
^^^Yer my dad has a 60" LG plasma but its not at my house. Thanks for your help projectsplat.

And mammy what do you mean xbox is now an option. It never was, it isnt the question and xbox'x dont even have blu-ray or 1080.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless you want to play Gran Tourismo Prologue / GT5.

I should out myself here. I am pooling cash for a PS3, GT5 and a Logitech G25 racing wheel. We are building a racing seat setup, with Momo racing seat so that we can hook it all up to my mates 60" LG Plasma.

That is my reason for buying a PS3....
My thoughts exactly. GT5 is pretty much what made me choose a PS3 over an XBOX. Funniest home video show is handing out G25's for entering a video - my plan is to sabotage/trick/fuck up a mate and send in the video to score a decent wheel.

Buying Ninja Gaiden tonight too :D.

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the help guys, going out on saturday to pick it up and getting my eyebrow pierced tonight.;)

If any one wants (i just thought it would be a good idea) someone should open an electronics/gaming/nerd thread about tv's, games, consoles, PC's and ect. There seems to be alot of threads on GTA4 and games.

projectsplat

The film guy
^^^Yer my dad has a 60" LG plasma but its not at my house. Thanks for your help projectsplat.
No worries bloke. Glad that I could help.

My thoughts exactly. GT5 is pretty much what made me choose a PS3 over an XBOX. Funniest home video show is handing out G25's for entering a video - my plan is to sabotage/trick/fuck up a mate and send in the video to score a decent wheel.

Buying Ninja Gaiden tonight too :D.
schweet. I have also been eyeing off Funniest Home videos, and not just because of Shelly.... :p We have the setup at work with a 50" plasma, custom built racing chair, GT25, PS2 and WRC, but to take advantage of the big screen you really need to be pushing out 1080.

I just have to stop spending money on shit so that i can afford to pick up the PS3!!!

Hey, remind me not to go filming with you..... :D

Last edited:

projectsplat

The film guy
That'd be awesome. A mate used to have a really good momo wheel which we used to use for GT3-4 on the ps2...was completely awesome.

yeah, it is pretty cool. The friday night rally sessions are unreal. unfortunately, one of the guys here is an absolute gun at WRC, and just flogs everybody everytime. so not fair. oh well, it is a good excuse to get into it and get better!

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
Sorry but another question, if you have a 1080 tv and watch a dvd on a standard dvd player will it be 1080 quality? Or do you need a 1080 player (like the ps3:p) to view movies in 1080? If so why do dvd players need 1080?

Sorry for the excesive use of the word 1080.

projectsplat

The film guy
I know roasted has already answered this, but i though I might explain a little more.

Sorry but another question, if you have a 1080 tv and watch a dvd on a standard dvd player will it be 1080 quality?
If the source is not 1080, then the screen will attempt to upconvert the signal to 1080. Some of the screens do this very, very well, but at the end of the day, it is still not going to be as good as having a 1080 source. (read: bluray version of the movie)

Or do you need a 1080 player (like the ps3:p) to view movies in 1080?
Even if you have a bluray (1080) player, if the disc is still a normal DVD, then either the player or the telly will attempt to upconvert it. (most likely the player in that instance)

If so why do dvd players need 1080?
because there is a whole raft of films now being released on BluRay and being remastered from the original film as 1080. Remember what happened when DVD was released? The film studios fell over themselves to release "remastered" versions of the films that were previously only available on VHS - well, the same thing is about to happen again for BluRay.

Sorry for the excesive use of the word 1080.

it is cool. the more you delve into this sort of thing, the more you will use it, and other terms like 720P and 1080i50 and progressive and interlacing and........ uber-nerd speak... :eek: oh, and I guess the more you delve, the more these terms will mean to you.

Cheers

Al

And mammy what do you mean xbox is now an option. It never was, it isnt the question and xbox'x dont even have blu-ray or 1080.
xbox "elite" pack has hdmi.

i used to sell this shit in myer :p

if you want full hd/1080x1920, you need the tv and the hd dvd or blu-ray disc player to go with it.

a standard tv will just play an hd dvd or blu-ray disc to its max reso - think of the tv as being a bottleneck.

an hd tv will play a standard dvd at the max reso/hertz the dvd player sends to it - think of the signal being weaker than the max the tv can handle.

a full hd tv with an hd dvd is pure magic to watch.

an hd tv will still produce a nicer picture coupled with a standard dvd player than a standard tv will with it.

iirc, the bottleneck in standard tv/dvd combo is the tv.

you can buy standard definition tv's with the 100hz feature in an 81cm size, to get full hd you need at least 103/101 from memory. panasonic makes the 100hz 81cm model.

a higher resolution is a crisper picture.

100hz means the tv can get images across the screen faster, which means in fast films (think action) or when watching sport on digital tv, the image gets across the screen/moves a lot smoother.

full hd has both.

you can buy a standard definition tv with 100hz but not a high reso 1080p tv without it.

hope this clears some things up.

Last edited:

projectsplat

The film guy
100hz means the tv can get images across the screen faster, which means in fast films (think action) or when watching sport on digital tv, the image gets across the screen/moves a lot smoother.

the 100Hz thing is a bit of marketing bullshit IMHO. standard television (25fps) cycles at 50Hz (interlaced). the new high definition progressive televisions (25fps) only cycle at 25Hz. with a 100Hz telly, all this means is that for every frame of interlaced footage you watch, it draws each field twice. for every frame of progressive television you watch, it draws each frame four times. this technology was introduced to try to get rid of the ghosting issue that occurred in early plasma's, and has stuck around because people think it is a cool "buzzword".

the simplest explanation is that the panel could cycle at 10,000hz, and it wouldn't make a shit of difference because there are only 25 frames per second (25fps)