11 speed budget buildup advice

chris72

Squid
Hi all,

I am in the process of building up an 08 stumpjumper 29er.

I am looking to put an 1x11 speed groupset on it. I have a set of wheels with an xd driver so looks like I am going SRAM. I have always been shimano so not sure what to go for for a decent budget build.

Thinking SRAM gx groupset with the gripshift, but have no idea about cranks and bottom bracket. The bike has a 70mm wide shell and diameter around 28mm.

Should I buy the SRAM gx cranks? What sort of bearing setup do I need for this ? Would I be better of fbuying a different brand crankset?

Should I buy secondhand higher spec eg xo or new gx? I have been searching around on the forums but am getting increasingly unsure of which way to go. Just read a bike radar article on all the bottom bracket standards and it was way too much!

Any advice would be much appreciated,
Please excuse my dumb sounding questions, I love building up bikes it's like adult Lego, but want to get stuff right spec as I will be buying online to keep costing under control.
Cheers chris

will2

Likes Dirt
If it is truly budget, it will be cheaper to go and get a standard freehub and rock SLX or XT. I highly recommend getting the most best Shifter you can afford.
It is the only thing that really changes the feel of the operation.

chris72

Squid
Hi, thanks for the advice. Was reading the thread on sram Shimano 11speed compatability a few minutes ago sounds interesting although sram GX seems pretty reasonable on the bay.

linkl8r

Likes Dirt
Full xt groupset from Ribble minus rotors is hard to beat. 590ish.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
Why not just keep the crankset, fit a NW chainring and buy cassette, chain, shifter and derailleur.

will2

Likes Dirt
So if you just want the Drivetrain including cranks it is $459 but with brakes it it $755. SLX cheaper again at $394 for the Drivetrain, and is fairly good from all accounts.

Also if you need brakes it is only a 30 more dollars to upgrade to XTR brakes.

The $459 includes the BB and I am assuming the Stumpy being so old will have aregular threaded BB so wouldn't be a worry.
This doesn't address the fact you have a XD driver so I suppose just swap out the XT it out for a "Cheap" Sram GX one.

chris72

Squid
Hi bike is frame fork and wheels only ATM otherwise would def keep existing cranks. Have most other stuff handy except drivetrain. There are some OK trails near where I work so am building up to be something I can keep there to ride at lunch. Will have to start adding up parts list for drivetrain and see how they compare.

chris72

Squid
Yeah the XD driver is the only prob otherwise I would have gone XT. The wheels are rovals and the cost of a Shimano style driver is around the 170. Mark which is dearer than a GX cassette at around 110.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the bundle is cheaper I'd still get the sram cassette, then sell the new xt. Yes sram is 42t, but would think it's pretty rare people are bailing out cos 42 isn't low enough.

Sram option below -$140 and lighter (than XTR & more durable)
Shimano option - $130 + cost of shimano freehub, and heavier

Sram XG-1175 10-42 - $140 - 325gm
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/sram-xg-1175-11-speed-10-42-teeth-cassette/XG-1175

Shimano XT 11-46 ~$130 - 450gm target
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-xt-m8000-11-speed-11-46t-cassette/rp-prod149701

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Buy second hand cranks and the rest new. Shimano stuff is cheaper than SRAM and easier to get given current geoblocking. If you're tall enough, jump on these http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306629

Great buying.

I'm currently running XT M8000 on my bike with a GX cassette, GX on my son's bike with XT cassette. Tried the GX shifter on the M8000 mech without issue as well. I would go XT or SLX with an XTR shifter and GX cassette.

XTR shifter, XT derailleur and KMC chain on CRC for $200. XG 1150 cassette on eBay for $109.

Last edited:

PedalPhil

Likes Bikes
Great buying.

I'm currently running XT M8000 on my bike with a GX cassette, GX on my son's bike with XT cassette. Tried the GX shifter on the M8000 mech without issue as well. I would go XT or SLX with an XTR shifter and GX cassette.

XTR shifter, XT derailleur and KMC chain on CRC for $200. XG 1150 cassette on eBay for $109.
Also running the 1150 steel pinned cassette with XTR Shifters/XT RD. Good feel, super relaible - way cheaper than SRAM RD/Shifters. been on for 1800 kms, cassette has no appreciable wear - unlike the 1195 cassette on my other bike with half the kms and a semi chewed 42T (One-Up make a replacement 42T which is a good way to extend the life for cheap).

Also got some MT8 Magura brakes at a stupid price from Bike Discount (Cheaper than XTs plus had a pair of the Storm SL Rotors). These things rock on the XC bike, still hate SRAM brakes....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The bike has a 70mm wide shell and diameter around 28mm.
That can't be right, unless it's something really weird. A regular threaded bottom bracket will have either a 68mm or 73mm wide shell, with a bore very slightly under 35mm. Standard press-fit is 90 or 92mm with a 41mm or occasionally 42mm bore. BB30 has a 68 x 41mm threadless shell, with machined grooves about 6mm in from the ends to take the bearing-supporting ciclips, PF30 has a 68 x 46mm threadless shell with no grooves.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
That can't be right, unless it's something really weird. A regular threaded bottom bracket will have either a 68mm or 73mm wide shell, with a bore very slightly under 35mm. Standard press-fit is 90 or 92mm with a 41mm or occasionally 42mm bore. BB30 has a 68 x 41mm threadless shell, with machined grooves about 6mm in from the ends to take the bearing-supporting ciclips, PF30 has a 68 x 46mm threadless shell with no grooves.
I'd think the OP's measurements are an estimate and you've got a BSA bottom bracket on the frame. The bike's original spec were XT cranks and BB for the FSR, and M452 for the hard tail.

chris72

Squid
Thanks for all the advice i feel like i now know what i am doing (sort of). I didn't expect so much help from people. Right its decided i will go the shimano/sram hybrid.

My bb measurements were made with my daughters wooden rulers, so maybe not as accurate as should be, i suppose you don't see many engineers using a sausage dog shaped rruler. Have sent frame off to be powder coated will check when it comes back. The frame is the fsr model in a hideous brown green and yellow combo.

I have a 2008 norco 26" bike that is in top nick, but saw a similar year stumpjumper frame which looked cool on gumtree and I thought well that might be a bit of fun to swap parts over to for a change. Bought it cheap figuring it was a 26" frameset somehow ignoring the fact it had 29 written all over it. I pulled it out of the shed the other day to discover it was a 29er... so anyway looks like the norco is staying in one piece and will build this up as well.

Looks like i better start getting some bits bought.

Cheers Chris

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Best bang for buck is shimano everything but cassette, go for GX there, will give you a 42t straight out of the box and a 10t if you need to run a 32t or less ring. Best setup would be GX rear end, sram s1400 cranks so you can run a direct mount chainring, anything from X9 through to xx1 an be used, just make sure you get GXP cranks and BB, xx1 or x1 shifter.

But you can mix and match shimano and sram 11 speed to suit your eye and wallet. I'd suggest the top sram shifter regardless of what else you use, it'll last forever, so worth spending a bit extra on, the just feel so much better than anything else.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Another option for a Shimano cassette

Here's another 11sp option...

Stans, Hope and One-up have been working together to produce the mini-driver open freehub body standard. It's a shimano spline, but shorter so that a smaller cog can be fitted as a modified lockring assy.

I had some 10sp Roval 29 SL wheels on my XC bike that desperately needed to go to 11sp but I'm old/tired so I need a wide range.
The Rovals are a S branded DT Swiss hubs with a star ratchet free hub body.

As the OP said, the roval/DTswiss free hub XD body costs a motza and SRAM cassettes are also not particularly inexpensive either :-(

One-up make a reasonably priced mini-driver body that fits a DT swiss star ratchet; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/oneup-components-minidriver-freehub/rp-prod148249
and a 10T assy; shark tooth 10/12/14 or 15T assy; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...s-shark-10-12t-11-speed-cluster/rp-prod148242

I fitted these a few months back with a Shimano XT 11-46 donor cassette and its all good - I now have a shimano 10-46T cassette with crisp shimano shifting.

- carpetrunner