11 speed chains and connectors

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst we're talking about 10 and 11 speed derailleur compatibility, chains etc, is anyone regularly removing the supposedly "non reusable" 11 speed kmc missing link to clean or rotate chains? What are the latest dura ace 9000 chains like? Can you use a kmc missing link with them? Also, in some pics I've seen the da9000 chains look black. I like the look of black chains but there's no way I'm paying $100+ for a black kmc chain,

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I use the 11 speed KMC links on both my ultegra and XT chains - they are the same chains actually. I've had no dramas removing the links for cleaning and run 2 chains on each bike, rotating every few rides.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Dura-Ace/XTR HG900 chains aren't black, they're a smoky almost titanium colour (but they're not titanium). Black appearance in some photos could be either a trick of lighting, or a really filthy chain....

I'm a believer in the idea that if you have to take your chain off to clean it, your basic maintenace is crap. If you lube the chain appropriately it doesn't collect the shit that would warrant taking it off to clean. Only remove the chain when it's done its time and is being replaced.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dura-Ace/XTR HG900 chains aren't black, they're a smoky almost titanium colour (but they're not titanium). Black appearance in some photos could be either a trick of lighting, or a really filthy chain....

I'm a believer in the idea that if you have to take your chain off to clean it, your basic maintenace is crap. If you lube the chain appropriately it doesn't collect the shit that would warrant taking it off to clean. Only remove the chain when it's done its time and is being replaced.
I take mine off to rotate them, generally hit them with Morgan Blue whilst still on the bike.

BT180

Max Pfaff
So true. I lube my chain every two or three rides (every time after a bike wash) and my chain is sparkling clean, even after a year of being on the bike. Never been taken off to clean it and never had the need to go over it with a brush whilst on the bike.

Keep it well lubed and it will look as good as new for a long time.

teK--

Eats Squid
I change the connector after about 5 uses. The chain usually only comes off when I rotate between 3 chains to maximise chanting and cassette life.

Clean on bike with park tools chain cleaner tool.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
only time I take a chain off is to replace it. I use shimano pin on all my bikes, clean with rag lube regularly no issues.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Are we talking road or mtb? I might be doing it wrong, but some rides the lot needs to come out. I'm not a fan of spraying my bike. It bnever gets a clean and at best gets a wipe with a used rag.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I change the connector after about 5 uses. The chain usually only comes off when I rotate between 3 chains to maximise chanting and cassette life.

Clean on bike with park tools chain cleaner tool.
Yes, that's what I do with my current 10 speed chains (rotate them). So no issues reusing an 11 speed connector despite being labelled "non reusable"?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I believe the non reusable statement is a licensing/patent compliance requirement.

I've reused kmc and SRAM links hundreds of times.

I swap chains after every ride, ~6000km on the same xx1 cassette and it still shifts beautifully

teK--

Eats Squid
Yes, that's what I do with my current 10 speed chains (rotate them). So no issues reusing an 11 speed connector despite being labelled "non reusable"?
Legally they say don't use but in my view if the connector engages with a solid click then it still has good hold... Ive reused 10 and 11 speed "single use" connectors up to 5-6 times and as long as it clicks I don't replace it. No one has died so far!

Having the proper removal pliers makes a big difference to taking a connector off without causing unnecessary wear or damage.

moorey

call me Mia
I swap chains after every ride,
At $120 a chain, that just seems excessive.

I reuse both sram and kmc links until I invariably lose one. Chains come off a couple of times in their life, for a petrol soak and shake. I get 2x the life out of chains as most people I ride with, so it works for me.
Rock n roll gold after every ride.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
At $120 a chain, that just seems excessive.

I reuse both sram and kmc links until I invariably lose one. Chains come off a couple of times in their life, for a petrol soak and shake. I get 2x the life out of chains as most people I ride with, so it works for me.
Rock n roll gold after every ride.
Paid $114 for three X11SL chains out of Singapore, OEM without packaging. Regret not buying six now.

After a ride they go into solvent to soak for a day or two, then ultrasonic cleaned, then on the shelf to be used again. Takes very little effort to do.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Are we talking road or mtb? I might be doing it wrong, but some rides the lot needs to come out. I'm not a fan of spraying my bike. It bnever gets a clean and at best gets a wipe with a used rag.
Both. If you're riding in filthy conditions you should use a wet lube, but wipe the excess off before riding. It will leave a film of lube on the chain but most crud will just flush off it with a gentle hosing. Then dry & relube.

In dry condidtions a dry lube is better because the crud won't stick to it, but you may find it's not as adherent, so you need to reapply more frequently.

stirk

Burner
How did a chain link question thread turn into another chain lube thread? You fellas love lubing your chains.

Ha! By the time my neglected drive train has worn out from​ a once a week lube and wipe down there is a new fancy 11 speed plus sized boosted oval shaped anti pedal Bob device I'm ready to upgrade too, take my money!

And yes, reuse those reusable links for the life of the chain.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
How did a chain link question thread turn into another chain lube thread? You fellas love lubing your chains.

Ha! By the time my neglected drive train has worn out from​ a once a week lube and wipe down there is a new fancy 11 speed plus sized boosted oval shaped anti pedal Bob device I'm ready to upgrade too, take my money!

And yes, reuse those reusable links for the life of the chain.
That's because you have the Hg-95 chain on backwards and inverted