120mm+ Hardtails?

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Hi all

I've had my eye caught by some of the hardcore hardtails and funduro bikes knocking around on here and Instagram and the like and while I'm not interested in anything that long travel - I'm not that kind of rider - something more trail hardtail would be right up my alley. My entry level Trek X-Cal has 100mm travel and 30mm forks which have a fair bit of flex under my not inconsiderable 95kg+
I've already got my eye on a set of Bomber Z2s and overforking my current bike, but am interested in frames I can build up as a project that'll take 120mm+ without being underforked - so Nukeproof Scouts, Commencal Meta HT look to be out. I'm a big fan of the Santa Cruz Chameleon in an ally guise, but thats a lot of money frame only when the Scout or Meta is ~$700, with the Tin Lizard being double that.
Anything else out there?

PJO

in me vL comy
Hi all

I've had my eye caught by some of the hardcore hardtails and funduro bikes knocking around on here and Instagram and the like and while I'm not interested in anything that long travel - I'm not that kind of rider - something more trail hardtail would be right up my alley. My entry level Trek X-Cal has 100mm travel and 30mm forks which have a fair bit of flex under my not inconsiderable 95kg+
I've already got my eye on a set of Bomber Z2s and overforking my current bike, but am interested in frames I can build up as a project that'll take 120mm+ without being underforked - so Nukeproof Scouts, Commencal Meta HT look to be out. I'm a big fan of the Santa Cruz Chameleon in an ally guise, but thats a lot of money frame only when the Scout or Meta is ~$700, with the Tin Lizard being double that.
Anything else out there?
Kona Honzo before the current model was a 120mm hardtail...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
It's unfair to mention Ragley as they're not really out there until Feb 2021 unless you find a second hand one!

But I can confirm it's a really nice bike!

Also consider NS Eccentric or the Specialized Fuse.

Rorschach

Another vote for ragley. I have an older Bigwig, they make good, solid bikes for reasonable moneys.
I had seen the Ragleys and Cotics - are they easy to get over here? Saw a Piglet on Wiggle but nothing else

Kona Honzo before the current model was a 120mm hardtail...
Hmm, seen a few tasty Honzo builds. Will keep an eye out

Rorschach

It's unfair to mention Ragley as they're not really out there until Feb 2021 unless you find a second hand one!

But I can confirm it's a really nice bike!

Also consider NS Eccentric or the Specialized Fuse.
Read a review of the NS, wasn't overly complementary, especially on build quality.

Fuse is a good shout though, LBS is a Spesh dealer and normally look after me

HamboCairns

Read a review of the NS, wasn't overly complementary, especially on build quality.

Fuse is a good shout though, LBS is a Spesh dealer and normally look after me
Fuse is an excellent frame, really well made and handles great!

Cotic is a few steps up in terms of price along with Stanton, Banshee, OneUp, Chromag and Orange.

Rorschach

Fuse is an excellent frame, really well made and handles great!

Cotic is a few steps up in terms of price along with Stanton, Banshee, OneUp, Chromag and Orange.
Will if they can do a frame only when I next head down, not showing on the Spesh website

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
a guy in melbs is selling a scout frame, wanted 750 w headset which is basically new price, but recently dropped to 650 if you’re a large, i have Ns]S -beeen happy w it, build quality was very good, paint job was a bit rubbish, faded to 50 shades of fluoro orange fairly quick, blk models don’t have this problem

HamboCairns

Will if they can do a frame only when I next head down, not showing on the Spesh website
Mmm interesting, this was available last year. Maybe special order?

Rorschach

Mmm interesting, this was available last year. Maybe special order?
Looks nice in that colour scheme too. Might go have a chat, although a grand seems like theres a bit of Spesh brand tax in there that would otherwise go to some kit, but no harm asking.

HamboCairns

Looks nice in that colour scheme too. Might go have a chat, although a grand seems like theres a bit of Spesh brand tax in there that would otherwise go to some kit, but no harm asking.
Yup, maybe they didn't sell them all? Or just as likely they didn't sell them all...

Also look at Sonder bikes. I'm sure they do a frame only option. Oh and Norco Torrent.

Rorschach

Yup, maybe they didn't sell them all? Or just as likely they didn't sell them all...

Also look at Sonder bikes. I'm sure they do a frame only option. Oh and Norco Torrent.
I looked at the Torrent, but its set for 150mm travel, way too much for me...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
A good budget option is the Dartmoor Primal - not sure of who's stocking them though - bike24 has some Dartmoors, but limited stock and sizes.

I'm always going to suggest a Cotic Solaris - bit more than your budget, but very much worth it for a versatile bike you can run from 120-140mm, and for everything between rigid bike packing to trail bike.

Nordest options like @Ackland suggested are good too.