135mm hub with symmetrical flange spacing?

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone found a 135mm hub with symmetrical flange spacing (center to flange distance the same for both drive and brake side flanges)?

The only ones I've found that are close are American Classic/WTB, but even those are about 5mm difference.

I run a 440 on the dh bike because it has symmetrical spacing, but no one seems to do one for 135mm.

I wish I had of gotten an Aireal when I had the chance.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can't get a symmetrical 135mm 9spd hub, because the spoke flanges would be like 40mm apart, and you wouldn't want that. You will only achieve it with an SS cassette hub.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can't get a symmetrical 135mm 9spd hub, because the spoke flanges would be like 40mm apart, and you wouldn't want that. You will only achieve it with an SS cassette hub.
Why would you not want that? You always dish to the centreline of the hub (demo's not withstanding), so the drive side is the weak link. I'll take even tension over a stronger non-drive side any day.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
The wheel will have a very low bracing angle on each side with such narrow flanges - which will make it susceptible to side impact damage.

cliff: It will be crap.

- Joel

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The wheel will have a very low bracing angle on each side with such narrow flanges - which will make it susceptible to side impact damage.

- Joel
The Aireal ones were/are bomb proof. Sold my last one not that long ago to a pinner for DH use in his old Big hit.

The difference in spoke angle between the offset and symmetrical Aireal hubs was 5/5 of fark all.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

- Joel
Bracing angle on the drive side is the same symmetrical or not. I didn't want a debate on this here, symmetrical is better, end of story. I just want to know who makes them.

Cat, do you have an idea where I could get an Aireal one? I used to know the owners son, but I can't seem to get in contact with him.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Bracing angle on the drive side is the same symmetrical or not. I didn't want a debate on this here, symmetrical is better, end of story. I just want to know who makes them.

Cat, do you have an idea where I could get an Aireal one? I used to know the owners son, but I can't seem to get in contact with him.
If you don't want a debate on this here, don't make contentious statements followed by "end of story". We can agree to disagree if you prefer.

- Joel

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you priority is even flange spacing, max strength wheel, look at using a singlespeed hub like a Hadley. You can fit 5 cassette cogs onto the cassette body. It's a nice set up with a roadie mech. Obviously no good if you are looking for something for XC but then there is no reason to be uber concerned about dished wheels for xc.

wazza2795

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys

I run 2 sets of Aireal symetec hubs on my niner and still have the first set of prototype hubs running on my wifes bike they are so easy to build up and even easier to maintain I have done 30 hours of xc enduro racing on the niner with out any problems pitty there was not enough interest in them to still be making them:( cheers