160mm 27.5 forks

BizL

Likes Dirt
I'm having some thoughts of upgrading from my 2011 reign to a banshee spitfire thats for sale on here.
Whats everyones thoughts of a fork setup for the spitty?
Do i lash out on Pikes or take the budget option of X-fusions or Some Marz 350cr's?
I've got the rest of the build pretty much sorted in my head, but am still unsure about the forks.

Cheers
Greg

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
I have some X-Fusion sweeps (RL2) on my Spitfire v2. Very plush and well supported mid stroke. Being a lighter rider I rearranged the shims slightly to account for the stock tune assumably for a heavier rider. Turned the lockout into a ridable platform instead of full rigid aswell. Done without any specific tools.
I would definitely go X-Fusion again over something like a revelation, but I havn't ridden the pike so I can't compare.
150-160 feels much more balanced with the rear than 140 on the spitfire IMO FYI.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I have 350cr on my Banshee Rune, if buying again I would go Pikes. Little bit more exy but more reliable and better info on them (no service manuals for 350cr available). Pikes are lighter too.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I had X fusion Vengence HLR Air on my (now Mooreys) Spitty set to 160mm. Changed them out for 150mm Pikes.
Vengence were plush and smooth, stiff with 20mm axle, but they are very heavy. Pikes have a similar feel in big hit performance, but I find them easier to set up and get feedback from. Also they have less stiction and better small bump sensitivity.
The weight is a huge benefit also, made the front end feel much more responsive on techy climbs. Vengence gave more of a plough feel.
For me, Pikes over the X fusion hands down.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
The fox 36's are pretty damn amazing, even more wait a little and get some of the 2016 34's, i have heard good things are in store... not sure about pricing though.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The fox 36's are pretty damn amazing, even more wait a little and get some of the 2016 34's, i have heard good things are in store... not sure about pricing though.
Fox 34, $875 USD full retail. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-34-float-factory-series-review.html
Pike on release, $1005 USD full retail. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/RockShox-Pike-Tested.html

If anything, next year, the fork will be the same price as a Pike. Only problem is trying to get one sent to Australia!

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In the real world, fox will be a lot dearer than that, and pikes a lot cheaper than that....
Dunno how much more "real world" you can get than stated MSRP...... Current CRC MSRP on the Pike is $1005-$1100 USD. Falls in-line with the stated MSRP from the article which is almost 2 years old.

I'm surprised at the Fox's MSRP for the new 34 and sounds too good to be true! Thought it would match the Pike, but given how much ground Fox has lost in the last 2 years in the OEM market, they needed to price this fork low in order to regain that lost market share. It's a different environment than 2011 when the market wanted kashima and they dominated the middle-high end OEM market.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Dunno how much more "real world" you can get than stated MSRP...... Current CRC MSRP on the Pike is $1005-$1100 USD. Falls in-line with the stated MSRP from the article which is almost 2 years old.

I'm surprised at the Fox's MSRP for the new 34 and sounds too good to be true! Thought it would match the Pike, but given how much ground Fox has lost in the last 2 years in the OEM market, they needed to price this fork low in order to regain that lost market share. It's a different environment than 2011 when the market wanted kashima and they dominated the middle-high end OEM market.
Real world is what you can buy a set for. I paid sub $800 aud delivered for a set of 150mm Solo 650b Pikes over a year ago.

Fox tend to be harder to find with large discounts anywhere, including online shops.

If you read the Articles on the 2016 Fox range, the 34 is now aimed squarely as their trail, only available from 120-150mm. If the OP wants a 160mm fork, the 36 will be the only available option from Fox..

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
CRC is way overpriced for pikes, have a look at a few German sites, payed 780 for mine delivered - depending what model still comfortably under 800 delivered at todays exchange rates.

I've been pondering some 36's but just can't justify the price difference for what is probably a tiny performance gain.