160mm AM bike suggestions?

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Hey guys and gals

Looking to add a new steed to the stable after my Trance SX has given me a taste of the long travel world.... :) As it will be moving on soon I'm after suggestions for a new machine.

So far I'm hooked on the Nomad and SB6C (next years models) but is there anything funky and "cooooooooooooool" out there that's getting ridden and not getting the light shining on them?

Only a few criteria-

No less than 150mm travel
27.5 or 26
And maybe carbon if I go all out :)
Honestly don't care what suspension but preferable Shimano drivetrain.

I've looked at a few brands so far (Santa Cruz, Yeti, Giant, Whyte) so any and all will be considered haha

Cheers

Nitro

DJR

Likes Dirt
What's wrong with the trance sx? I have a trance with 160mm travel 140 rear and I think its great but is there something in particular that's forcing the decision here ?

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Devinci Spartan Carbon? That fits into the funky and cool bit pretty well as well as covering the rest of the bases. I only ordered the frameset but you may be able to get a complete bike?

As another option, Banshee Rune V2 although no Carbon version. Sold mine to get the Spartan, hope I don't regret it!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey guys and gals

Looking to add a new steed to the stable after my Trance SX has given me a taste of the long travel world.... :) As it will be moving on soon I'm after suggestions for a new machine.

So far I'm hooked on the Nomad and SB6C (next years models) but is there anything funky and "cooooooooooooool" out there that's getting ridden and not getting the light shining on them?

Only a few criteria-

No less than 150mm travel
27.5 or 26
And maybe carbon if I go all out :)
Honestly don't care what suspension but preferable Shimano drivetrain.

I've looked at a few brands so far (Santa Cruz, Yeti, Giant, Whyte) so any and all will be considered haha

Cheers

Nitro
I was in the same position recently. I wanted to replace my Banshee Spitfire with a Carbon AM build, 150-160mm.

All bikes I looked at were 2015 models and already available, so unless you're waiting until late next year for the 2016 models?!?
I had a fairly healthy budget with frames in the $3.5K - $5K bracket.

No particular order.

Carbon

1. Santa Cruz Nomad C/Bronson C
2. Ibis Mojo HD3
3. Yeti SB6C
4. Devinci Spartan
5. YT Industries Capra (full bike only)

Alloy

1. Banshee Rune
2. Canfield Balance
3. Transition Patrol

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Liteville 301 (160 or 140mm options) and Rocky Mountain Altitude (150mm) could be worth sussing out.

1aec1bc462c770b870bf41bd5c48d695.jpg

rowanb

Likes Dirt
I reckon you should get a Trek Remedy in carbon. Coincidentally, I have one for sale in the trading area... :cool:

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Reason for upgrading? Just like to flick the switch every 18 months or so, lets me try something new.

Trance is possibly the best bike I've owned, nothing at all wrong with it just like trying the new and shiny things.

It's a large SX advanced with a Shimano conversion. The SRAM fell apart (literally) within a month of owning it. Me no like sram much. Their suspension is great don't get me wrong I just don't like their drivetrains.

BLUMAN

Likes Bikes
A side from the 160 up front. What are you expecting to get that your trance doesn't or can't give????? ..... This is the question I ask myself when ever I start day dreaming about a new bike.

I would suggest looking a Reign, though not if you are splashing for carbon because the rear triangle is still Al.

My carbon choice would be Intense Carbine with 27.5" capable fork (running 26" though). The interchangeable rear drop out mean you can run 26 or 27.5 without changing any suspension components (I.e. mojo HDR)... Simple and gives you set up options to give you longevity for your investment.

Caveat:
I'm an unapologetic Giant and 26" wheel rider. Current ride 13' Reign (26"), 150 RCT3 Revelation with bottomless token kit..... No plans for any changes .... Until either the frame brakes, giant starts making carbon rear triangles too and offer the Reign in 26" again.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
A side from the 160 up front. What are you expecting to get that your trance doesn't or can't give????? ..... This is the question I ask myself when ever I start day dreaming about a new bike.

I would suggest looking a Reign, though not if you are splashing for carbon because the rear triangle is still Al.

My carbon choice would be Intense Carbine with 27.5" capable fork (running 26" though). The interchangeable rear drop out mean you can run 26 or 27.5 without changing any suspension components (I.e. mojo HDR)... Simple and gives you set up options to give you longevity for your investment.

Caveat:
I'm an unapologetic Giant and 26" wheel rider. Current ride 13' Reign (26"), 150 RCT3 Revelation with bottomless token kit..... No plans for any changes .... Until either the frame brakes, giant starts making carbon rear triangles too and offer the Reign in 26" again.
Just looking for a new beast.... I've been riding Maestro since 2011 and I want to try something different :)

The Reign looks so beast now but your one sounds top!

see if you can test ride a pivot mach 6. i got one this year and everyone of my mates that has ridden it has been as blown away with its performance as i have. If i was going alloy i would go kona process . have not heard a bad word about them.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Even though people do try and justify their outlay, I would try and find owner reviews of any bikes you are interested in. Small brands are overlooked by magazines etc and also do not pay for advertising to magazines.
Most of the bikes suggested would be great. You also need to figure out exactly what you want in a new bike.
Good climbing.
Good descending.
Nimble handling.
Docile handling.
Combo of the above.
Single front ring specific capable.
Gearbox:whoo:
Full bike build specs.
Sizing.
Availability.
Durability.
Weight.
Braking performance.
Suspension performance.
I'm sure others can add to the list.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Even though people do try and justify their outlay, I would try and find owner reviews of any bikes you are interested in. Small brands are overlooked by magazines etc and also do not pay for advertising to magazines.
Most of the bikes suggested would be great. You also need to figure out exactly what you want in a new bike.
Good climbing.
Good descending.
Nimble handling.
Docile handling.
Combo of the above.
Single front ring specific capable.
Gearbox:whoo:
Full bike build specs.
Sizing.
Availability.
Durability.
Weight.