Votes: 6 17.6%
  • DVO Onyx/Diamond

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Needing a gathering of the brains trust.

Looking at a new 29" 160mm fork, I have spent many hours on YouTube and review sites over the last few weeks.

So, what I want is a fork with the nicest small bump compliance. I am not a big hitter these days but still like it to sit well mid stroke without diving in corners.

Thinking I have narrowed it down to 2, the Lyrik Ultimate and the Mezzer Pro.

I'm actually really against Fox to be honest... creaking CSU's, overdamped and overpriced.
They have been a major disappointment on every bike I have had since 2015.
You would expect a premium fork at premium prices to be awesome straight out of the box and they are falling way short on that lately.
Was just speaking to a bloke today and asked him how his new bike was going, he said the fork was away getting the CSU replaced for the second time :oops:

Help a bloke out, I know there are a lot of you who have tried many forks and have plenty of experience/knowledge in this department.

The next part will be, where has actually got stock of the chosen fork.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
An Ohlins m.2 coil will probably be the money no object option. Marzochi Z1 coil would be next. In air I would pick a DVO Diamond or Onyx, just because you can wind on so much negative spring with the OTT option.

The Lyric and Mezzer are good but the Mezzer is STIFF and the DVOs have better small bump. The DVO and Mezzer have better dampers than the Charger rc2 although the Mezzer's lsc adjustment is more of a mid speed adjustment.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a basic select Lyrik. Send it to Cyclinic and get the Push HC97 damper installed. You can thank me later.

They can do the entire thing for you as they sell the fork too.
It's better than the RC2 Lyrik in every single way. Unless you need red lowers.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
but the Mezzer is STIFF
Out of curiosity, how much have you fiddled with the setup so far? I started out around the factory suggestions and it was pretty harsh as expected based on what I'd read online. I've since made changes every time I've been out (only three or four times) and changes are very noticable.

It'll take some time to nail this I think, but I reckon there's a real sweet spot to be had.

Mezzers are also pretty lightweight, if that's relevant.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Mezzer.
But.....
I've been running an M2 Ohlins (air and coil) for the past couple of weeks and I've been astounded how good both types are. I can get the Mezzer to almost Ohlins air levels of suppleness but not quite....the Mezzer is a staunch mofo and takes time to set up to get that last 10% of trail muffling and when that happens most fork wants go away. The reason for the Ohlins 'but' is a bushing issue has raised its head. If that gets sorted without drama and never returns I would recommend the Ohlins over the Mezzer for your requirements.

Lyrik....no thanks. Needs a smashpot and/or a modified damper imo. Not a fan of this fork.

Onyx is a good fork. The OTT is a great thing for small bump compliance. CSU creak is hit and miss. Seems to happen quickly or not at all in my experience.

Fox...yeah creaky CSU's seem to be common (I did 2 in 6 months) but I had a Vorsprung tuned FIT4 with a smashpot and it was great. If the CSU did creak you could always press them out and fix them properly.

But yeah.....Mezzer or Ohlins. Which one do you like the look of?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
But yeah.....Mezzer or Ohlins. Which one do you like the look of?
Both of them look good, its finding stock at the moment.

Where do you buy the Ohlins from ?

I seen cyclingdeal was doing the Mezzers but out of stock on 29's.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Both of them look good, its finding stock at the moment.

Where do you buy the Ohlins from ?

I seen cyclingdeal was doing the Mezzers but out of stock on 29's.
NSDynamics. Just had a look, they don't have much stock of Ohlins (must be about to get a shipment) but they do have an Onyx.