160mm forks for long rides

LoveB

Likes Dirt
I'm sure some of you would have done this, any feedback? I know it wont be as easy as a 100mm fork going uphills etc. But how about straight/flat roads? I ended up getting a vanilla 36 for the xplore frame and I'm gonna be keeping it at 160mm for a while to see how I feel with it. I'm probably gonna lower it in the future as majority of the rides people do where I'm from are XC rides with steep hills and/or long mixed road/offroad trips. like 100km rides.

So yes, am I right in thinking that using a 160mm travel fork on a flat paved road wont be as noticable/hard as trying to go uphill with it? cause if so then I'll probably just leave the fork at 160 travel for longer. But if it gets tiring quick then maybe its a better option to lower it. (the frame has 6' travel at the rear btw and yes I know, I could have gotten a more XC oriented ride but this is what I've got! lol)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Comes down to how fast your riding buddies are ... and or whether you want to compete with them ... and also how balanced your bike is.

I'm running the Float 36 with a 7" rear ... with a really short 50mm stem so not exactly the climbers dream setup I also have it set relatively plush just to ad to the pain of climbing.

It actually climbs OK, but Ive bought a specific climbing saddle to compensate and allow me to stick my arse on the nose, without it anally intruding me the whole climb.

It can climb, but you won't be the fastest up and if its steep and techy, you may want to reconcile that you'll be walking.

For smooth, flat and down the 6" & 7" combo is awesome ... understanding you won't be accelerating like an XC.

For me its the weight that comes with the additional travel and burliness that is most noticeable, as opposed to the travel length ... but life is a compromise and I prefer gravity to accelerate me as opposed to pedal power.

LoveB

Likes Dirt
Well my friends dont really race and we dont really rush uphill anyway. I suppose they will be faster uphill and I'll just have to catch up downhill. lol For the straights I reckon I'll be fine with the 160 on paved roads anyway.

And yes,I know it'll be harder and at times I will probably have to push (I did even when I had 100mm of travel so i expect to be donig it more :rolleyes: ) lol I'll just keep it at 160 for now and lower it if I find it too difficult. I probably cant go too low cause then it'd be weird having so much more travel on the rear than the front lol

ronster44

Likes Dirt
I have a Lyric solo air which is set at 160 on my bike and it climbs well as my legs will let it and I do a lot of long ride to now worries. If you set you're sag at 25% the fork will be sitting at 120mm which slackens the head angle a bit.