180mm Brake Adapter Q

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Evening Farkers!

I recently took advantage of T7's latest offer and ordered some cheap 180mm Alligator rotors ($10ea!) to replace the warped Hayes numbers (160mm) currently fitted to my 'spare' MTB.

As an alternative to purchasing 180mm-specific IS adapters, could I simply use longer bolts and spacers? (Is this safe?)

Further, I've read that a rear 160mm adapter can be used effectively on the front with a 180mm rotor. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance and enjoy your weekend!

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, I suppose you could but it would be 10mm worth of spacers which would not only look shite but may well be fully dodgy (bent bolts?? oh yeah). Since you saved so much cash, maybe you should spring for some adaptors... surely someone has adaptors laying around unused- try the wanted to buy section.

T-Rex

Template denier
You can use spacers, I've been running a stack of washers under the caliper on the front of my DH bike for years without a problem. It looks pretty agricultural though.

As for running the rear spacer on the front, just bolt it up and see if the pads look like they are sitting in the right place on the rotor. 2 minute job.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as far as I know there is 20mm difference betwen front and rear, ie front will take a 20mm bigger rotor with the same adaptor. Doesn't work for Avid stuff coz they use 185mm rotors not 180mm, tried it. older Avid adaptors had stuff like 140mm R/160mmF printed on them.