180MM Rotor On an stp?

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys.
Im currently trying to put larger rotors on my stp. I have the rotors, but when i put them on the hit the frame? anybody else had this problem? anybody successfully done it? whatsoever would be appreciated because I'd very much like the extra stopping power
Cheers allan

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hitting the frame? Sheesh! I wouldn't try anything as it won't work.
What are you doing on an STP that requires more stopping power? A standard sized rotor can offer some pretty fandangle power on the right setup!

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Mine worked

I just put in an 180mm Shimano XTR rotor on my STP frame, it is fine. No issues.
I did it not because I need the larger disc, but because the 180 XTR is the only centre lock rotor I had around for my new XT hub wheelset.

You sure you are not putting in a 203mm? I got enough space for clearance even if it is a 185mm rotor.
Picture proof here:

DSCF4719.JPGDSCF4721.JPG

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Nah 100% sure its a hayes 180mm rotor, I think it might work but the rotor is a little bent so it clips every time, but its only a couple mil off the frame so i have put my old rotor on. Nice stp :D

redbruce

Eats Squid
This.

Bigger rotor on the back won't change much.
It does.

My son runs a shimano 180 on the rear and Avid 185 on the front with Avid juicy 5's, no worries.

Went up from 160's when he started a bit of downhill. Overdone for 4x though.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Gunzee's old green STP comes with a 5" rear rotor and it is as strong as my CODE... difficult to modulate the Juicy 3s though..

driftking

Wheel size expert
Go with larger up front and keep the 160 on the rear, most of your braking should be done with the front brake, the rear is used for braking but not primairly, it is used more for control than stopping. Unfortunately most people use the rear as their primary brake (I always find myself doing it, need to work on this). When you can use the front brake effectively to slow down you will be able to stop in a shorter distance, hence brake later on the trail which will ultimately will mean faster times.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Switchback

Go with larger up front and keep the 160 on the rear, most of your braking should be done with the front brake, the rear is used for braking but not primairly, it is used more for control than stopping. Unfortunately most people use the rear as their primary brake (I always find myself doing it, need to work on this). When you can use the front brake effectively to slow down you will be able to stop in a shorter distance, hence brake later on the trail which will ultimately will mean faster times.
I went up size to 180mm on my trail bike's rear, because I like to lock up the back wheel more easily to allow me to do some drifting or switchback in tight trails' cornering.
160mm regulated wheel, but did not let me lock up the wheel as I wanted.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I now run 185s both ends on my STP. I have fitted 203mm on the rear (brief DH use) and that just fitted.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
I went up size to 180mm on my trail bike's rear, because I like to lock up the back wheel more easily to allow me to do some drifting or switchback in tight trails' cornering.
160mm regulated wheel, but did not let me lock up the wheel as I wanted.
Do you then go and fill in the braking ruts you create by locking the back wheel? Skidding is an ineffective form of braking and trail damaging substitute for lack of technique when riding switchbacks.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Do you then go and fill in the braking ruts you create by locking the back wheel? Skidding is an ineffective form of braking and trail damaging substitute for lack of technique when riding switchbacks.
+1, you will also probably find that by braking effectively before hand without skidding and railing the corners you will more than likely end up with a smoother, more consistent and ultimately faster time with more exit speed. There are some instances when kicking the rear out is beneficial but these are very few and ussually involves drifting rather than lock up.

Last edited:

GORDOK

Likes Bikes
I was positive I saw Sam Hill lock the back wheel once or twice, he must'nt brake effectively I guess.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I was positive I saw Sam Hill lock the back wheel once or twice, he must'nt brake effectively I guess.
nah he doesnt thats why he doesnt win anymore, ahah jks.

There are times when rear wheel lock up or drift is useful, but most of the time the reason for effective braking is that a tyre breaking traction will not grip, I agree there are instances when getting the rear out for positioning or get big countersteering before a tight turn at a high speed but most the time its not needed, I think what the other poster said it valid though, If you are skidding make sure to fix the track up if there is any sign of damage, personal or private tracks do what you want but its still nice to keep it in good nick.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
Ever seen video of Sams race run from Champery 2007,(if you haven't you should) while most of the worlds best were tripoding through switchbacks with one or both wheels locked sam was railing them with both wheels rotating, and yes you'll often see sam drifting- without touching the back brake. As I said earlier if your locking the brake to get around switchbacks you have room to improve, and it damages trails- now if their YOUR trails then IDGAF but if they are public trails then IMO you need to get an act. I rode a new trail in a local park
the other day, been finished for less than a month- at least four of the switchbacks had 8 foot long 8inch deep and wide ruts created by people skidding that will require substantial work to repair, time that could be spent building new trails- which sucks.

Didn't sam run a 140mm rear rotor in the worlds in aus?

Last edited: