XC 1993 Klein Attitude - now complete

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Completed Photos on Page 4

I always wanted a Klein back in the 90s when they were well out of my price range and a few years back I managed to pick up this well used 1993 Attitude in Gator Linear Fade (Yellow/Green/Blue).

I really don't know much about the bike's history but given the marks and dents on it I'd say its been used a lot more than most Klein's but it's basically sound and should survive the rather more gentle life its going to have as an occasional fair weather retro ride.

Anyway the previous owner apparently "upgraded" the bike over the years with newer parts and my plan is to return it to close to a 1993 spec within reason. I've spent a bit of time tracking down the appropriate bits and have now started, the intended build spec is as follows with a few before photos with the intended wheels test fitted.

Note: the luminous fade is hard to photograph and what looks like Shrek green is much more yellow to the naked eye, and the parts on the bike will be changed in the coming days/weeks with the correct bits.

Frame: 1993 Klein Attitude in Gator Linear Fade

Fork: Colour matched Rock Shox Mag 21

Headset: Klein
Stem/Handlebar: Klein "Mission Control" one piece bar stem combo
Grips: TBA would like to find some clear ones so the paint is visible

Brakes: M900 XTR Cantis
Brake Pads: TBA
Brake Cables: TBA
Cantilever cable hangers: TBA
Brake Levers: M900 XTR

Shifters: M900 XTR
Front Derailleur: M900 XTR
Rear Derailleur: M900 XTR
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: M900 XTR 8 Speed
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: M900 XTR
Crank Bolts: TBA
Chainrings: 46/36/24 brands TBA
Chainring bolts: TBA
Bottom Bracket: Klein press fit
Pedals: TBA

Hub Skewers: Currently old Durace Ace
Rims: Front Mavic ??, Rear Mavic 117 SUP Ceramic
Hubs: Front Ringle 32 hole, Rear M900 XTR 36 hole
Nipples: Front ?, Rear Tioga Disk Drive Pro
Spokes: Front?, Rear Tioga Disk Drive Pro
Tyres: IRC V Claw
Tubes: Specialized (just some I had sitting in a box)

Saddle: Black Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seatpost: TBA (the original is well worn)
Seatpost Binder: TBA

Weight: TBA

The old girl as she looks currently...

From the rear. Note small ding in the top tube...

From above showing the Tioga Disk Drive Pro

From the front showing how the fade is supposed to work. Note this is much more yellow than the green that the photo suggests...

Attachments

Last edited:

emp

Likes Dirt
wow this is awesome, i always wanted a klein, this sucker would have been worth some huge coin when new :D

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Nice... I remember being quietly jealous of the kids that had the fluro super bikes, when picking up my trusty Malvern Star from the bike lot, at the end of a school day! :cool:

floody

Wheel size expert
Very trick Andrew. Particularly the disc drive.

I'll have a hunt round at work, quite sure I've seen some clear Scott grips somewhere...We've got translucent glow in the dark Ourys though?

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Nice bike :) You should bring it on the group ride when its finished, I would love to see the colour in the flesh.

How did those disk drive wheels work? What is it made of? Is it "flat"? How are they better/different to a standard wheel?

I was in grade 1 when that puppy came off the production line.....

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll have a hunt round at work, quite sure I've seen some clear Scott grips somewhere...We've got translucent glow in the dark Ourys though?
That would be great if you can find some, if not the glow in the dark Ourys will have to do I think.

Nice bike :) You should bring it on the group ride when its finished, I would love to see the colour in the flesh.

How did those disk drive wheels work? What is it made of? Is it "flat"? How are they better/different to a standard wheel?
If we ever did a relaxed group ride that wasn't that technical I could bring it, but as that hasn't ever happened I'll save it for a cruisy retro ride.

The Disk Drive just has kevlar thread joining the rim to the hub in a big continuous pattern instead of spokes. The plastic cover is to protect it. They flex a bit and rumble on the trails too, but Tomac raced with them so they must be cool :)

eh?.........
Glad you like it :p

'Ross

Eats Squid
Awesome! Glad you got pics of it, I remember picking up one of those wheels and staring at it for about half an hour....and still couldn't figure out how it worked:eek:

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lookin' good mate. It's about time you got the build under way!

As previously stated, whenever you get sick of it... ;)

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lookin' good mate. It's about time you got the build under way!
Yes its been a long time coming...

The M900 cranks, rear derailleur and brake/shift levers are now installed and I've cleaned up the M900 8 speed cassette which came with it - there was about 5 years worth or dirt and grime in it!

The front derailleur should go on tomorrow and then I just have to hunt through my boxes to find the M900 cantis for it and it will be close to done. :)

Emmett

Likes Dirt
Nice rig you have yourself there Turner_rider, I'm definitely a bit jealous. I've seen a few of these go for crazy $$ on US eBay.

M900 still looks so nice;) Any chance of Maguras in yellow?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any chance of Maguras in yellow?
I only have one set of Magura Racelines (the yellow ones) and they are on the Orange single speed. The polished M900 does go very nicely with the paint though - you'll just have to wait for updated photos though.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That paint job looks awesome. Even better in real life I would suppose .

Does the paint have a pearl finish to get that effect ?

Looks in real good condition for a bike of that age..

How does it ride compared to todays hardtails?? What sort of geometry does it have ???

Sigh...........! Just thinking how good it would look on the wall :rolleyes:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That paint job looks awesome. Even better in real life I would suppose .

Does the paint have a pearl finish to get that effect ?
The paint is a slightly luminous fluro of blue and greenish yellow which gives the green when the two 'fade' together.

And yes it looks much better in real life.

Looks in real good condition for a bike of that age..

How does it ride compared to todays hardtails?? What sort of geometry does it have ???

Sigh...........! Just thinking how good it would look on the wall :rolleyes:
Geometry is pretty similar to a new bike if not the same. Ride wise the fork isn't that stiff so that effefts things and the rear would be best described as harsh, but it goes ok although its not going to be pushed towards its limits like it once was.