1998 Specialized Hardrock SS

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
About a year ago i was reading an MTB magazine at work (a hotel) and our bottleshop supervisor mentioned to me that he had an old MTB frame in his shed that was doing nothing. Anyway the next day i was the owner of a 1998 Specialized Hardrock, Alloy frame, Chromo fork and the origional drivetrain, stem, bars etc. But no wheelset for $20.00

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I promptly bought an Acera Shimano hub/Sun rim wheelset off Rotorburn and built it into a SS beater with some old geax slicks that a mate had lieing around and my Deity flats.

It looked like this -

It has stayed like that until now but i have decided to do a bit of a restoration of sorts.
The bike will stay single speed but i am re painting the frame and adding a few bits and bobs.

Ordered some new Shimano Cantis, Shimano BB, Clarks Cable kit with Carbon Outer, SDG aliso Saddle, some Bottle cages and some Michelin Country Dry Tyres.

I already have some Stylo bars and Deity Flat Pedals. Ebay sourced me a Quill Stem adaptor (Not sure whether i will stick with the rigid fork yet) and some Specialized Stickers.

I then set about stripping the paint.

The fork and Seatpost are now in a nice shiny gloss black. and the frame is in grey primer waiting for a royal blue top coat.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love the resto!

I've got a Trek of the same vintage sitting in the shed. They make incredible commuters, but they're also a blast out on the trail if you're game. I couldn't get over how well mine climbed. Descending on slicks with a 150mm stem is other-worldly.

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
Yeah i basically used it to ride to the indian take out resturant on the corner :)

I'm keen to get it out on the trail once its finished. I won't be running the super long super rize quill stem though. I have ordered a quill stem to 1 1/8th aheadset style adaptor. so ill be running a regular style stem and a 680mm Stylo bar.

I'm not sure how its going to look with a black cockpit and silver cranks/wheels. Perhaps i will get the wheels re laced with black spokes and nipples.

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
So a package arrived for me on Thursday but i couldnt pick it up until this afternoon due to work :(

But i ended up with some goodies :)

I promptly set about building the bike (A few things still need to be painted/polished before the final build)

Random bits box-

Tyres go on -

Headset ready to be greased-

The bike-

Somehow managed to stupidly use the rear brake cable for the front.....so I shall need to buy a new inner for the rear brake. ( for now i put the old cable back on)

Everything still needs a bit of a tighten and a fiddle but it is together :)

I will get some better pictures in natural light tomorrow.

Last edited:

fairy1

Banned
I have been riding a Cr-Mo one that may be a bit older than that but it is almost perfect regarding paint/ components.
God they are horrible bikes, I guess you did it cheaply but I wold still have a bottom of the line Mongoose over the one I have been riding.

How do those cranks go regading flex whilst running SS? Pretty sure the design brief stopped at make them look pretty coz christ do they flex when mashing the pedals.

Good to see a bike miss out on going to the scrap bin, nice colour too.

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
Well it was a bottom of the line MTB in 1998 it certainly isnt going to win any awards now ha ha.

The cranks certainly arent as stiff as my stylos but i am not a heavy guy so im not too fussed. I think the reason you are getting flex is due to the 94 bcd, in a small ring like my 28 its not so bad but in a 40 or a 42 there would be a considerable amount of flex.

The alloy frame is quite light. I would venture the bike weighs around 10.5 - 11kilos

I have a rather nice full suspension rig to ride trails on......this is just a fun project

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
Bought a Jagwire inner for the rear brake today. Fitted the new outer and inner. So brakes are all sorted now.

Headset needs a bit of adjustment and i still need to paint it.

Was hoping that the frame stickers would show up today but no joy :(