1999 Holden Commodore vs ute

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, Have put up a few post about first car...I've always had my mind set on a 4x4. But i just don't think i can afford a 4x4 at 16. Although i have found a 99' Vs ute. Just wondering what people think of these cars, ever had trouble with them. if so, how many k's. I was going to pay 4.5g for this one with 200 000 on the clock, it's dual fuel injected..Petrol and LPG, she hasn't used the LPG in a while and was thinking of taking it out. So yeah, any thoughts good or bad :)

Cheers, and also...Post your commo's ;) (Just for @nDr3w)

Last edited:

Likes Dirt
Someone on here bought one a while ago, look through the project car thread.
IMHO, boring crappy commodore :glee:

tc2233

Likes Dirt
I would go the ute because when i got my p's i ended up becoming a taxi service for my mates. At first it was fun driving your mates to school, or to a party, but now i am wishing i bought a ute because i would have an excuse for not driving them to places.
Doesnt matter whether it is a commodore or a ute but there are plenty of spare parts available for holden's and plenty of online resources to help teach you how to fix them.
I dont know much about LPG but it looks a lot cheaper then the octane 95 and is worth trying especially if you say it can take both.
The only problem I find with the holden's as a red p plater is that i get targeted by the police. I have never been pulled over in my mum Honda Jazz but in the holden i get pulled over quite regularly (usually on weekends and im not speeding or anything, just to do a rbt and suss things out).
If you do get the holden, when you do the red p plate test DO NOT drive the holden. Go and get a lend of a girly car.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How- long- have- you- been- searching- for?

I vote 4x4. Purely because I'm a ford man and 1999 is in my opinion, too old for a commodore. Why not just find a newish small hatchback until you can afford a nice car off P's? Cheap to run, cheap to buy, no hassle just fill it up and go.

Unless you want to cart friends + bikes in which case there's only one option. Dual cab 4x4.

If you get the ute, keep the gas. It's cheaper to run and power loss doesn't matter because a petrol VS is slow as anyway.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
I used to have a VS ute.

Black, shiny, fast.... great car!
I had it for about 5 years, never had any issues.

I recently put my current ute (4WD Rodeo) on LPG.

Best thing I've done. Its halved my fuel bill! And no loss in power either

Keep the gas!

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt

I vote 4x4. Purely because I'm a ford man and 1999 is in my opinion, too old for a commodore. Why not just find a newish small hatchback until you can afford a nice car off P's? Cheap to run, cheap to buy, no hassle just fill it up and go.

Unless you want to cart friends + bikes in which case there's only one option. Dual cab 4x4.

If you get the ute, keep the gas. It's cheaper to run and power loss doesn't matter because a petrol VS is slow as anyway.
I'm deffs a holden man, who won bathurst ;) Yeah i really want a 4x4 but honest to myself i can't afford one, not while im at school for another year and only got a part time job. I won't have any money to spend on myself, and i do that quiet oftern haha. I was thinking of getting a small car but my dad had a accedent when he was my age in one and dosn't want me to get one, he said the ute would be better option..Cheers

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
I used to have a VS ute.

Black, shiny, fast.... great car!
I had it for about 5 years, never had any issues.

I recently put my current ute (4WD Rodeo) on LPG.

Best thing I've done. Its halved my fuel bill! And no loss in power either

Keep the gas!
Thanks bud! Yeah only reason i was going to take the LPG out was because QLD road and saftey will not allow the car to sit lower then a certain eight with the tank under the back.
Cheers :)

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
I would go the ute because when i got my p's i ended up becoming a taxi service for my mates. At first it was fun driving your mates to school, or to a party, but now i am wishing i bought a ute because i would have an excuse for not driving them to places.
Doesnt matter whether it is a commodore or a ute but there are plenty of spare parts available for holden's and plenty of online resources to help teach you how to fix them.
I dont know much about LPG but it looks a lot cheaper then the octane 95 and is worth trying especially if you say it can take both.
The only problem I find with the holden's as a red p plater is that i get targeted by the police. I have never been pulled over in my mum Honda Jazz but in the holden i get pulled over quite regularly (usually on weekends and im not speeding or anything, just to do a rbt and suss things out).
If you do get the holden, when you do the red p plate test DO NOT drive the holden. Go and get a lend of a girly car.
Yeah would expect that from the cops, a commodore with a P plate drive = sussness

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
I was hoping this thread would have as much success as the "post you're commo" thread.
Sadly, no such luck.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Thanks bud! Yeah only reason i was going to take the LPG out was because QLD road and saftey will not allow the car to sit lower then a certain eight with the tank under the back.
Cheers :)
Is the Ute already lowered or are you planning to do it?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm deffs a holden man, who won bathurst ;) Yeah i really want a 4x4 but honest to myself i can't afford one, not while im at school for another year and only got a part time job. I won't have any money to spend on myself, and i do that quiet oftern haha. I was thinking of getting a small car but my dad had a accedent when he was my age in one and dosn't want me to get one, he said the ute would be better option..Cheers

I would rather be in my Honda hatchback than in a ute in a crash. Does your ute have ABS/airbags etc?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I lunched a gear box in a VS but it wasn't from everyday driving. I've had VN's, VT's, VE's in or around my family and of all of them I'd say the VS was probably the best of the lot. I'd go for it as parts are easy to come by, easy enough to work on and have room in the back for toys. If you intend on using it for getting to the top of a downhill run I would not even consider lowering it as it would be as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. It may look good lowered but it is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge pain in the arse and takes away the point of owning a ute.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
if i do buy it, i was planning on lowering it..
I don't want to get my old man rant on, but....

Think twice before taking the gas out just so you can lower it. I paid $3500 for the privilege of a cheap fuel bill. You've got the opportunity here to get that for free with the gas already installed.

And I can assure you the novelty of a lowered car wears off pretty quick.

Either way, it'll be a fun first car. Mine was a hail damaged Camry sedan, boring...

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
I don't want to get my old man rant on, but....

Think twice before taking the gas out just so you can lower it. I paid $3500 for the privilege of a cheap fuel bill. You've got the opportunity here to get that for free with the gas already installed.

And I can assure you the novelty of a lowered car wears off pretty quick.

Either way, it'll be a fun first car. Mine was a hail damaged Camry sedan, boring...

Yeah good point, like ill put moto's and shit go camping a fair bit..Didn't know cost that much for a LPG! :O me and the old man are convincing the handbrake (Mother) to let me buy it..If i do ill post some pictures up :)

chris95

Likes Dirt

Hahahaha gold!!

Yeah good point, like ill put moto's and shit go camping a fair bit..Didn't know cost that much for a LPG! :O me and the old man are convincing the handbrake (Mother) to let me buy it..If i do ill post some pictures up :)
Good luck coming camping with me bro out bush in a Commodore haha:p