1x10 without a chainguide

moorey

call me Mia
Any thoughts on running a wolf ring with 9sp drivetrain? (SRAM 9x shifter and shadow+ mech)
Will the bees dick wider chain defeat the purpose?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Any thoughts on running a wolf ring with 9sp drivetrain? (SRAM 9x shifter and shadow+ mech)
Will the bees dick wider chain defeat the purpose?
Mine will probably be on a 9spd setup briefly while my 10spd stuff arrives, I'll report back.

moorey

call me Mia
Mine will probably be on a 9spd setup briefly while my 10spd stuff arrives, I'll report back.
Cool. Thanks stalker. Would love to ditch the guide on the trail bike, but you can cram your 10x for now. Will you be running 9x clutched or unclutched? Going to be hard to guage the chain holding benefits unclutched.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Cool. Thanks stalker. Would love to ditch the guide on the trail bike, but you can cram your 10x for now. Will you be running 9x clutched or unclutched? Going to be hard to guage the chain holding benefits unclutched.
Unclutched, plain old boring x9 mid cage.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Intend to run no guide either.

How would a 10spd chain go on a 9spd cassette? Would hold the chainring fine then.

moorey

call me Mia
Intend to run no guide either.

How would a 10spd chain go on a 9spd cassette? Would hold the chainring fine then.
That's a thought. I have a new 10x chain I got with some other crap at one stage. Yes, it's a bees dicks, but those bees dick could just be enough to fowl up on the cassette. Worth trying.

moorey

call me Mia
It is 10spd, but I believe some ratios are pulled from a 9spd cassette.
If he was running 9sp spacing, with 10 gears, they wouldn't fit on the cassette body. Surely he wouldn't have fucked around bothering with 9sp cogs +1, and individually replaced the 9sp spacers with narrower 10sp ones?
I thought I remember him starting out an experiment with a 9sp slx cassette, removing the 11t, and putting a bigger one behind the 36, but that means he couldn't have narrowed all the savings anyway, coz only the end couple of an slx are removable to change spacers,... Right?
Gripper?:behindsofa:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Read my 11-41t thread so I won't have to repeat myself...

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258486

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Read it in detail, when you are fresh...

Where possible use 10spd (2.35mm) spacers or a little narrower if possible ie. you can use thin BB spacers.

I had a number of thinner spacers lying around for some reason...but as I stated in my thread I've found the shifting to mixed cogs with Shimano Dynasys XT chain and derailluer to be very tolerant.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I think i might stick with my 2x10 for a while as i don't have a clutched mech and don't want to buy a chain guide. Plus i'm probably still too fat to rid myself of my granny ring :frusty:

moorey

call me Mia
I think i might stick with my 2x10 for a while as i don't have a clutched mech and don't want to buy a chain guide. Plus i'm probably still too fat to rid myself of my granny ring :frusty:
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?:pound:
handling the SS on the uni commute, aren't you?....well, when there's air in your tyres.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
You doing the Sram/Shimanno+6mm spacer mod? Or some other way?
Sorry this is off topic.