1x10 without a chainguide

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Switched the Anthem 29er over to 1x10 yesterday using a Wolftooth 30T and Zee 10spd freeride rear derailleur. Was also going to fit a bash ring but the chain bolts I have aren't long enough...I need 12mm have to sort that. Anyway looks great, seems to work a treat, driveline is now much further off the deck and the bike is a smidge over 500 grams lighter. Now I just have to hit those lumpitty logs to give it a test...

silentbutdeadly

Wide. Close (DH) is up to 28t.
I am running 2 FR Zee + with 34t rears. They claim 36 is fine, but mu mate had to swap the cage over from another mech to get enough chain 'take-up'
I'm currently running 11-36 and it seems to work fine with three full links removed from the chain and the tension screw in about 2/3rds. Time will, of course, tell.

However, I would prefer to go to an 11-32 cassette in the longer term. Perhaps even 11-28...this being XC territory after all.
$2CE852F7940A867F.jpg

Last edited:

porca

Likes Bikes
1 x 10

I just fitted a works components 34 tooth from Crankin. 1st ride this morning on a pretty rough trail and didnt drop the chain. Also standard xt rear mech with no clutch, took out 3 links, all good so far :cheer2:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Do these NW chainrings cause some chain "drag" over a conventional chainring....who has a 32t/104 in stock in Oz.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Do these NW chainrings cause some chain "drag" over a conventional chainring....who has a 32t/104 in stock in Oz.
i was skeptical of the same; but i can spin out my NW ring exactly the same as i could on a normal ramped and pinned ring, and a single specific ring.

Gripo

Eats Squid
i was skeptical of the same; but i can spin out my NW ring exactly the same as i could on a normal ramped and pinned ring, and a single specific ring.
That's good to hear, so who has these locally NSM & anyone else...,

moorey

call me Mia
Same. I expected to be all "meh, this is way overhyped...', but its not. I feel no difference when riding whatsoever. The clutched mech/narrow wide ring combo romped into my list of 3 best bike innovations of the last 15 years, along with disc brakes and dropper posts :cheer2:

callum1

Likes Dirt
Wide. Close (DH) is up to 28t.
I am running 2 FR Zee + with 34t rears. They claim 36 is fine, but mu mate had to swap the cage over from another mech to get enough chain 'take-up'
hmmm. that doesn't sound inspiring, i bought the the zee fr (havn't received it yet), and got a new 11-36t cassette for exactly that reason, shimano said it would be cool.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Not being a SRAM person can someone point me in the right direction to a SRAM GXP Crankset (not PF BB) that would mount a "Direct Mount" Woolf Tooth cog.

silentbutdeadly

hmmm. that doesn't sound inspiring, i bought the the zee fr (havn't received it yet), and got a new 11-36t cassette for exactly that reason, shimano said it would be cool.
I say it will be cool too. Because mine changes up to the 36T with no grief. Though there's extra noise due to the canted chain line...

silentbutdeadly

Not being a SRAM person can someone point me in the right direction to a SRAM GXP Crankset (not PF BB) that would mount a "Direct Mount" Woolf Tooth cog.
I'm not much for SRAM cranks either but both the X7 and X9 2x10 cranksets can be had with GXP BB and 104BCD outer arms - though be warned that some versions of the x9 have 120BCD arms.

Mind you, if you have a GXP BB and need to buy the crankset then I'd simply buy an SLX or XT crankset with an external BB instead...much cheaper!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
John, basically you need either a Truvativ AKA (alloy), X9 (alloy) or X0 (carbon) crank as these have the removable spider. there are a few others, but those are the standard ones.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Just put an order in for a Wolf tooth components 32t :)
Now need to sort a clutch derailleur.
Thinking the SHIMANO XT Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur - RD-M786 in a medium cage.
I was going to go Zee but as I'll likely run a 36-11 cassette thinking the medium XT might be better. Opinions?

moorey

call me Mia
Just put an order in for a Wolf tooth components 32t :)
Now need to sort a clutch derailleur.
Thinking the SHIMANO XT Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur - RD-M786 in a medium cage.
I was going to go Zee but as I'll likely run a 36-11 cassette thinking the medium XT might be better. Opinions?
Personally, I like the zee. Shorter and more compact. Might be slightly heavier, not sure, but it feels a lot more solid and robust.